Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A book for you middle-aged ladies !

Posted by Kathy G on 12/10/03 at 11:19 (139740)

Okay, I know that I bore you all with my recommendations on books but given the general age of many of us ladies here and also given that many of you are Southern, I highly recommend a really funny novel called The Red Hat Club by Hawyood Smith. It's about a group of fifty-year old women but it would appeal to women in their forties, too. It's really very funny. I'm nursing it along because I don't want it to end!

Even if you folks don't read, it would make a nice gift for someone on your Christmas list who does.

Can't help it. When I read a really good book, I just want everyone to have a chance to enjoy it!

Re: A book for you middle-aged ladies !

Carole C in NOLA on 12/10/03 at 11:22 (139742)

A friend of mine who is our age belongs to a Red Hat Club here in Louisiana. She showed me a photograph of them, a group of ladies all wearing red hats. I didn't know it was a book!

Carole C

Ellen on 12/10/03 at 16:03 (139754)

Thanks for the book suggestion! I may look it up. What is so strange about life is that at age 44, I still feel like I'm 25 until I get a reminder about my age. It is often shocking! I suppose that will happen more and more as time goes on.
Ellen J.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/10/03 at 17:33 (139762)

It's sort of like wearing a costume. I appear to be in my mid fifties, but inside I just know I'm 26. :)

I feel like I'm 'getting away with something' when I am given senior discounts for which I qualify! But if they want to give them to me, I am grateful.

Carole C

Suzanne D. on 12/10/03 at 21:48 (139775)

Thanks, Kathy, for the suggestion! You know, sometimes I realize that I haven't read an adult book in quite a while. I head right for the children's section in any bookstore.

I am going to look for this book, though. It does sound intriguing!

Suzanne :)

Necee on 12/11/03 at 01:27 (139782)

I never sit long enough to read, but I have a sister-in-law who enjoys reading, and I haven't gotten her Christmas gift yet, so this might be something she would enjoy. Thanks for the suggestion.

Happy trails....

Necee

Julie on 12/11/03 at 02:28 (139783)

So Ellen is 25, Carole is 26, and I - well, I was 27 when I got married and for about 30 years after that my husband thought of me as 27. Now that I'm 68 he's upped it to 37. But I'm still really 27 inside. :)

I think most people feel like this. I recall my husband's father telling us that he had always felt the same 16-year-old inside. He was around 83 at the time.

nancy s. on 12/11/03 at 03:12 (139785)

julie! you're finally up! i just read now that we posted at exactly the same minute.

so, you're only 37 -- i should have guessed.

i was 27 until i got pf as i was turning 50. for a few years there i suddenly felt 97. now, depending on what else is going on, some days i'm 34 and other days i'm 84. but wait a minute -- if carole is 26, this makes her younger than we are at all times. how can i always be older than an oceanographer? an oceanographer sounds so mature, so dignified, so . . . deep.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 12/11/03 at 06:55 (139786)

Mature? Dignified? Deep? (giggle) Well, if you SAY so.

I thought the proprietor of an antique store sounded much more grown up than just an oceanographer. Besides, if I'm over 26 then how could I possibly ever work at sea? And I loved it so much last year when I was able to be back out there. :)

Carole C

Kathy G on 12/11/03 at 08:41 (139792)

I finished the book last night. I usually read kind of dark books; mysteries, crime novels, etc. Every now and then, I like to throw in a light one and I'll tell you, this one was really light -- especially the ending but I still really liked it!

I agree with you all. The day I feel older than my late twenties is the day I'll know I'm really old. Personally, I hope it never comes!

Isn't it strange? I recently attended an AARP event and as we were filing out, I kept letting the older people go first. Finally, I realized that if I kept letting all my 'elders' go before me, I'd be the only one left in the room!

Sometimes I'll get behind a really slow driver and I'll cuss and think, it's some old lady with white hair, which it frequently is. Then I realize that that's the way someone would describe me! Except I'm never the real slow driver; I'm the one who has to restrain herself from speeding all the time!

I like the fact that so many of us are twenty-somethings at heart!

nancy s. on 12/11/03 at 09:42 (139798)

i thought you'd like that description, carole.

now, your 'proprietor' title is a great idea. it sounds SO much better than 'dealer,' which i've always disliked because it sounds, well, shady. and i'm no shade. i'm acquiring the new title as of right this second.

nancy

Suzanne D on 12/11/03 at 10:53 (139800)

Why, all of you sound quite grown-up to me! Of course you guessed that I'm really 6 years old forever! ;)

Ron B on 12/11/03 at 19:19 (139821)

So what have we all been drinking tonight????? I'm glad to hear that everyone is 39 and under in this group. and I bet Nobody weights over 110 lbs either???? I myself am 39 too have been for the last 13 yrs. No gray hair and I'm sure I'm two or three pounds under weight. But I do think my jeans have shrunk abit will have to talk to the wife about that! AAPP keeps sending me appications for membership. don't know why?? Boy sure hope Santa don't read this!!!!!!
Ron B

Kathy G on 12/12/03 at 07:44 (139835)

Oh, definitely, Ron. I'm more than a few pounds underweight. And my dryer does the same thing to my jeans! As for the AARP, I joined because they lost so many members because of that Meidicare bill flap. You know, I just wanted their membership to remain constant.

I think we should alter Scott's survey numbers so that they reflect the fact that only young-uns get PF!

Ron B on 12/12/03 at 14:37 (139850)

Kathy G
If you compare us to the pre-flood people(in the Bible) we ARE young-uns!! wonder if Moses had PF ? he did lots of walking,walked bare-foot alot of the time and didn't have New balance shoes. I wonder if his sandels were Birks???? something to ponder over the weekend. have a great one, you all (do you southerners really say that???)
Ron

Suzanne D. on 12/12/03 at 15:05 (139853)

Well, all the pictures in Bible story books show sandals that look a lot like Birks!

And, yes, Ron, we DO say 'you all'! It's such an amazingly useful word: 'You all come on now; supper's ready!', or 'You all are making altogther too much noise right now!' :)

Have a good weekend yourself!

Ron B on 12/12/03 at 15:20 (139856)

Suzanne
Thanks. I only get Saturday off for the weekend my other day off is Tuesday. I love to hear you southern Folk talk, especially you ladies :O) Love your accent. from time to time I have to dial a 1-800- number and I get a gal in the south (or southeast) enjoy talking to them. Up here in the Northwest we don't have accents! :O) I bought one of those gel-packs that you put in the microwave boy does it feel good on the old feet. hope your head and feet are doing better
Ron B

Suzanne D. on 12/12/03 at 15:30 (139858)

Thanks, Ron! Both my head and feet are feeling better, and for that I am thankful!

I'm glad you like the microwaveable pack. I really do feel it helps me.

Isn't it funny how it's always someone else that has the accent?! :D I watched Pirates of the Caribbean last weekend for the first time. I enjoyed it, but I really had to strain to understand the accents!

You all can get so much more said in a short amount of time! I draw everything out. My husband said I was the first person he ever heard who made two syllables out of his name - Tim. :'>

Carole C in NOLA on 12/12/03 at 16:29 (139864)

I am told I don't have a Southern accent, but I say y'all a lot. It's much clearer as the plural form of 'you' than 'you'.

Y'all have a great weekend, now.

Carole C

Dorothy on 12/12/03 at 17:26 (139868)

And how is Tee-um??

Ron B on 12/12/03 at 17:38 (139871)

Carole C Of NOLA
You shouldn't have a southern accent coming from NOLA (North Los Angeles) here all this time ( until yesterday) I thought you were a West Coast gal ! Didn't even think about Louisiana !! Now that is one State I would love to visit!
Ron B

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean (suzanne)

Ron B on 12/12/03 at 17:51 (139872)

Suzanne
I too just saw 'Pirates of the Caribbean' for the first time. I'm trying to think of who had an accent ? I understood everyone ok
I would love to hear some of your first graders talk, that would really sound cute
Ron

Sher A on 12/12/03 at 18:45 (139879)

Sounds like an interesting book. I'm 53 and sure feel like it but I don't act like it and refuse to ever be matronly. Some of the younger people like to come over and listen to my stories of my surfing days in the 70's. I'd sure love to go try it again, too.

This conversation reminds me of awhile back when my husband and I decided to go check out Warm Mineral Springs on Florida's gulf coast. We thought that swimming in a natural spring would be pretty neat. This particular one was an experience alright. First, we were the youngest ones in there and we were in our 40's. There were people in there in wheelchairs and in the pond itself, they were clustered around floating tables, playing cards, while walking around in a circle. As for me, I absolutely did not want to touch my feet on the bottom of this and just paddled around with everybody. My husband is pretty good looking and this ancient woman with long red fingernails came up from behind him, grabbed him around the waist and said, 'Sonny, you look incredibly good, how old are you anyway? And how long have you been coming here?' I nearly laughed my head off when he said out of the clear blue sky, 'I'm 85 and have been coming here ever since I was just a kid!' Everyone else around started laughing too! We'll probably end up back there one of these days!

Dorothy on 12/12/03 at 18:53 (139880)

Sounds like 'Cocoon'! Remember that movie of maybe ten years ago - at least..?

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean (suzanne)

Suzanne D. on 12/12/03 at 19:12 (139882)

They ALL had accents, Ron! In most movies everyone does. But, now 'Steel Magnolias', that was an exception. ;)

Yes, you would probably enjoy hearing my first graders. But the biggest laugh is on me: once I was reading a book to them which I thought was quite delightful. It had neat pen and ink illustrations and clever rhymes on each page. But I kept thinking to myself, 'Why doesn't the title rhyme?!'

The title of the book was (How can I italicize here? That always bugs me when I'm typing the title of a book.) I Can't Said the Ant. The way I say 'can't' does not rhyme with 'ant'. It actually took me a few minutes to realize that 'can't' and 'ant' DO rhyme if one says 'can't' in the 'normal' way!

Suzanne D. on 12/12/03 at 19:14 (139883)

You got it just right, Dorothy! ;) He's fine although he's pretty tired right now. We are building a new structure beside our church, and he spent the day hanging dry wall and on a scissors lift, painting. I think I'm glad I was at school and didn't see him up that high!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/12/03 at 19:28 (139888)

LOL! It's New Orleans, Louisiana - - 'NOLA'

Louisiana is a beautiful state, though a very flat and wet one... :)

Carole C

Dorothy on 12/13/03 at 01:04 (139893)

Oh, yes, husbands on the roof: very bad thing to witness and yet too worrisome not to watch. What you do is stand on the ground and fret and wring hands and add to the nervousness, reminding husband of stories of friends and acquaintances or various strangers who have fallen off roofs and incurred various injuries. Yes, it makes for a fun day, the day on the roof!

nancy s. on 12/13/03 at 03:32 (139898)

'husbands on the roof': this reminds me of the day my husband decided to cut overgrown branches and limbs off the 100-foot pine trees in the yard of our last house. he rented a ridiculously long ladder, then climbed branches toward the top, strapped himself around each tree, and cut the stuff with a chainsaw, sometimes about six inches from his face. i know, because i went around to various windows and watched, all day long, with my hand on the phone and ready to call 911. (i had an editing deadline but couldn't do a thing about it.)

he's good at this kind of work, and brave about heights. but by late afternoon, when he had two more trees to go, i said, '*please* don't do any more today! do those another day.'

he replied, 'no, i'm going to do them right now, because when this day is done, I'M NEVER GOING TO DO THIS AGAIN!'

i thought we moved from that house two years ago for other reasons, but now i'm remembering that the trees were needing more work.

nancy

John H on 12/13/03 at 13:18 (139943)

I still go on the roof on a regular basis. Maybe this is close to flying as I cam get. I have two buddies including one Doctor who have fallen off the ladder or roof the past two years with very serious outcomes. Why do men clim on the roof? Because it is there.

Dorothy on 12/13/03 at 14:07 (139945)

Yes, I know what you mean. And like I've said to The Roofer Man:
When this old world starts a getting me down, And people are just too much for me to face. I'll climb way up to the top of the stairs
And all my cares just drift right into space. On the roof, it's peaceful as can be, and there the world below don't bother me, no, no.
So when I come home feeling tired and beat,I'll go up where the air is fresh and sweet. I'll get far away from the hustling crowd
And all the rat-race noise down in the street. On the roof, that's the only place I know, where you just have to wish to make it so.
Let's go up on the roof. And at night the stars put on a show for free, and, darling, you can share it all with me.
I keep on telling you that right smack dab in the middle of town
I found a paradise that's troubleproof.
And if this old world starts a getting you down
There's room enough for two
Up on the roof...

Sing it with me now.... When this old world,....

And about that time The Roofer Man yells down, 'What? What are you saying? I can't hear you...!!'

(Lyrics ourtesy of the great Carole King, songwriter extraordinaire)

marie on 12/13/03 at 17:16 (139958)

Yes.....I remember that one. I love Carole King.

We lost a member of our church a couple of years ago when he fell off a latter. He was cleaning the gutters.

Our house is very tall and anytime my hubby gets up there I have to be gone.....far a way. He lays down on his stomach on the flat part of the roof and inches his way around. Yikes. At least he ties a rope around his waist and into the attic. I also don't know when he's doing aerial shots. Something about hanging out of an airplane makes me extremely nervous.

But I must admit watching the comets and stars at night on our roof is extradornary. It can be very peaceful.....until the life flight helicopter comes in to land on the roof of the hospital across the street. I don't mind though because it means someones life may be saved.