Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Another question for Richard, C.Ped

Posted by Buck T. on 12/11/03 at 10:45 (139799)

Richard: Did search on bunions and now don't know if I have one. Have no swelling anywhere around big toe -- no problems on side or top of foot behind big toe.

I do have callouses on what I call metataral area (ball of foot behind tig toe). Is this a bunion?

I am going to put you in my will for all your help. You won't get anything -- but as we say in Texas, it's the thought that counts.

Thanks, Buck

Re: Another question for Richard, C.Ped

Richard, C.Ped on 12/12/03 at 08:24 (139841)

If it is a start of a bunion, it may be hard to tell. Most of the callouses that I have seen are either directly under the first met head or on the side of the met head. Do you know if you have had any type of small injury to the area...ie stubbed toe?
New shoes can also be a cause of discomfort to the ball of the foot if it has to be stretched a little with wear.

Re: Another question for Richard, C.Ped

Buck T. on 12/13/03 at 16:39 (139955)

Thanks again Richard. Have had no injuries to the areas. But I can massage the areas while working on my pf and that seems to help. Also wearing shoes without the new orthotics to rest feet also helps. But the new orthotics some days don't seem to hurt areas. The callouses are under first metarsal head. Are callouses for runners to bunions or are they callouses? Thanks,