Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Diabetes Mellitus Type II and foot pain

Posted by john king on 12/12/03 at 19:18 (139884)

How might Diabetes type II be a cause of foot pain? I went for the Agent Orange exam at the VA and the doctor said I had possible Diabetes and neuropathic pain due to agent orange exposure.

Re: Diabetes Mellitus Type II and foot pain

Steve G on 12/12/03 at 21:35 (139889)

I am not a doctor, but diabetes is a well known cause of neuropathy and circulation problems, both of which could cause foot pain. How diabetes leads to these problems can be found via a quick search through google. However, if your doctor suspects you have diabetes, this could be easily confirmed through blood work. They have a blood test that gives an indication of your glucose levels for the previous 3 months

john king on 12/13/03 at 10:36 (139920)

I had the blood test at the Veterans Hospital in Tampa. I guess I am right on the edge of diabetes type 2 supposedly caused by exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam. The VA environmental doctor told me to file for compensation. I have neuropathic pain in more places than my feet. Maybe this could explain the long term and diffuse pain I have had in my feet. The last pod I went to just shook his head and told me there was nothing he could do for me. Now I am going to the VA pain clinic in January. I think this is a good reason to have a MD check you out when you have severe pain regardless of a diagnosis by a pod or orthopedist. Even so I find that taping the feet helps.

wayne m. on 12/14/03 at 00:29 (139965)

I have been diagnosis with type 2 diabetes and now on medicine. my problem is that I was born with (what my mother called web feet) a foot that grew little or no toes. my big toe and my little toe is normal but the three between toes are connected in a deformed way. They have no toe nails. I was a premature baby that arrived early... my mother used to drink alot and i guess this is what happen to me. I just turned 50 this past september and now my web foot is starting to hurt me...i am a custodian for a school and I am on my feet 95% of the time. when I get ready to go home i am limping to my car. the first thing I do is fill a bucket with hot water and start to soak my foot. I am a little scared to have my foot xrayed for fear what I may find out. need advised.