Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

old post-er, new problem ? neuroma & TTS

Posted by Sheila on 12/13/03 at 06:02 (139901)

Well, after many postings about a year ago, (2 neuroma surgeries, left foot, same place, dorsal incision, one year apart - neither successful!) I'm back.

I found a doctor about two hours away who had Dr. Dellon's QST equipment. The tests showed I also have bilateral TTS (interesting to note that it also showed the exact location of my back pain problem as well as my right knee, which I had not told this doctor about - I was quite impressed).

My surgery is scheduled with Dr. Dellon for Jan. 8th. Unless he decides otherwise upon my visit Jan. 6th, he plans TT release and plantar incision to remove neuroma and implant nerve ends.

What I had not known prior to the first OR second surgery, and which 2 years of research has revealed, is that the original diagnosis was most likely wrong, and quite possibly the first neuroma excision has actually created my current problems - which is constant ball-of-foot pain. The seond surgery was also dorsal incision and another neuroma was removed - don't know how fast stump neuromas form, but I knew immediately upon removing the surgical boot that both surgeries were failures. After the second surgery, I tried sclerosing injections and they did nothing. I do not believe it's an adjacent neuroma because I can pinpoint the exact location of the 'pea sized' spot, directly against (almost under) the 3rd met head - which perhaps could not be seen through the two dorsal incisions.

My initial pain, prior to first surgery, was white-hot, sharp, unbearable pain that went from my foot and shot up almost to my knee on the outside of my leg. In my studies, I've found NO ONE that has had this type of pain with true Morton's Neuroma. So I figure the diagnosis was not correct, even though I did have the Mulders Click and did have a neuroma, I don't believe it is what caused the original problem... anyway...

I'm fascinated to learn I have TTS, and can easily spark the 'funny bone' feeling by even gently tapping the inside of my left ankle (the problem foot). I have the same response in my right foot but nowhere NEAR as bad or defined.

Symptoms - I have not noticed any ankle pain, what I have always known is that if I spend a whole lot of time on my feet, my heels begin to ache. It never occurred to me to mention this to my DPM as I just thought anyone who spent alot of time on their feet had foot aches! Back to my heels aching...after lots of time on my feet (even in tennis shoes) my heels begin to ache, pretty badly if I don't give in and quit (never a sharp pain, only dull ache). But after resting (end of the day for example) I get up and they really, really hurt/ache and it feels kind of tight in the back of the ankle area (swelling I assume) so that, at first, I have to walk kind of stiff-legged so my ankle doesn't stretch that tendon too much; after several steps and gradual stretching, I can again walk normal and without that particular pain, though my heel may still ache. Again, the pain is never sharp (like usually experienced with nerve or bone-poking pain) but can be a very, very strong ache....so much so that even when lying down it's uncomfortable to lay on my back where my heels rest on the bed, it seems even the skin hurts, so I have to lay on my side. Thinking it was maybe my tennis shoes I bought some gel heel inserts, they didn't help. I changed to New Balance tennis shoes on the advice of my doctor (because of the neuroma pain, as he didn't know about the heel pain) and they actually have helped alot - I can be on my feet much longer, with less pain. But it isn't completely gone.

Does this sound like TTS? And is it likely that TTS was the problem in the first place (pain on the oustide, vs. inside, of my leg makes me wonder...?)

I had hoped that by having surgery in January, I could ride my horses again by June. Do you all think that will be likely based on your experiences? (and provided I follow docs orders after surgery and there are no other complications, etc. I also must thoroughly discuss with Dr. Dellon exactly where a stirrup hits the foot, etc., to avoid future problems with where he implants the nerve ends). It sounds to me like my absolute best possible chances for a pain-free future are to do the two corrections Dr. Dellon recommends - if it's neuroma again it will be removed and the nerves put to 'bed' and if the pain is from TTS that will be corrected too... I don't know. I had given up hope...but at least have hope again. I don't care if I have to spend the rest of my life in New Balance tennis shoes, but I want SO badly to be able to ride my horses again! Does that sound silly? Maybe, but that is my hobby and the love of my life...we used to go horse camping with our fellow horse-friends and had the most wonderful times!

Sorry this is so long.....but I know history is needed.

Re: old post-er, new problem ? neuroma & TTS

Kara S. on 12/13/03 at 11:59 (139933)

How did you get Dr. Dellon, himself, to schedule the surgery? Do you live close to his clinic or does he travel the country making it possible for people from all areas to see him? I live close to a Dellon-trained surgeon which I am considering surgery with - he's the only doctor that understands my symptoms, complaints and has the testing equipment to verify TTS. But, I somehow feel I would like Dr. Dellon, himself, to do the surgery because of his extensive experience. How did you manage that?

Sheila on 12/13/03 at 12:32 (139935)

Hi Kara,
Dr. Dellon has two offices, one in Arizona and one in Baltimore. You would have to go to one of those places and stay overnight. I'm only about 5 hours from Baltimore (in Virginia). I first found his name and emailed him about my problem and he told HE did that - so I checked out his website and found more info. Dr. Dellon has been awesome in answering my emails and working with me on scheduling and agreed to schedule the surgery (without having seen me) upon receiving test results and diagnosis from a dellon-trained DPM that I went to, who is about 2 hours away in Greensboro NC. The DPM I would have trusted to do the surgery, but she preferred Dr. Dellon do it and told me that 'if he can't fix it, no one can'. That was very encouraging. Also, the DPM on the site http://www.myfootshop.com knows Dr. Dellon and his staff and spent some time with them and recommended him highly.

I will have to arrive for my appt. with Dr. Dellon on Jan. 6th for my first face to face meeting; I'll be staying overnight through the 9th - he'll do the surgery the 8th and let me go home the 9th after seeing me, so I have to pay for a hotel. But if I can just ride again.........it'll be worth it. =)

I have my last DPM here at home, who did the last surgery and sclerosing injections, doing the follow-up; I think he's a very good doctor and tried his best or I wouldn't be going to him for follow-up - he is glad to do the follow-up and very interested in the surgery and how I do, as he's never done it.

I'll save your email and let you know what I think after my experience with Dr. Dellon!

Sheila

Sheila on 12/13/03 at 12:38 (139936)

ooops, I see where you didn't include your email so I can't email you afterwards. I guess you can keep an eye out here on the website after Jan. 9th. =)

Kara S. on 12/13/03 at 21:22 (139963)

Thanks for the information. I'll keep watching this site for your post-surgery update. Good luck to you.

marie on 12/14/03 at 09:31 (139969)

Hi Shiela,

I am sorry to hear that you have been in pain since your last surgery. I love riding horses, camping and hiking. I haven't ridden in a coons age, I'm afraid it would harm some of the progress i've had with tendonitis. I am able to hike in the woods again. I really hope that you will have a successful visit with Dr. Dellon. Whatever the decision I'm sure your moving in the right direction. Have you thought about horse and buggies or wagons? I do know several people who cannot ride anymore but have found some satisfaction with carrages and or carts. The gentleman that I took riding lessons from as a college student was paralyzed from the waist down...bad horse accident....he continued to teach lessons from his wheel chair and hospital bed. He found great satisfaction with a pair of matched ponies and a cart. They were beautiful ponies...not shetland...larger and had long blonde mains and tails. It opened up a new dimension to his life. Their camping trips were corridinated with local parades he participated in. He still traveled and camped with friends and their horses and was able to remain active with his love for horses....just a bit smaller.