Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Saturday

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/03 at 06:33 (139903)

I'm up early this Saturday morning, and everything is still except for a train off in the distance. We have 100% chance of rain today, and the rain clouds have almost arrived; they're just outside of town.

It feels like all the birds, pets, and plants are waiting quietly for the rain or else asleep. I just heard one lonely bird as I wrote that.

On quiet, peaceful mornings like this, I'm especially glad to be alive. No sense in starting with the banana trees on a rainy day. I think I will snuggle in a comforter, and watch television with my coffee.

Carole C

Re: Saturday

Suzanne D. on 12/13/03 at 08:30 (139904)

What a peaceful picture you painted with your post, Carole! @};- And how often we all scurry here and there, rarely stopping to savor the moments you have described so well. Thanks for helping me to stop long enough to share the same feelings. ~o)

Although I had looked out the window no more than five minutes ago, I just glanced up to see that it is snowing here! I see it well against the big old cedar by the fence. The horses that belong to our neighbor seem oblivious to it; it is a very picturesque scene.

Later this morning my daughters and I are meeting my sister and her daughter for brunch. We live about an hour and a half apart, and - although we've not had any real problems - we've let the busyness of both our families and our jobs drift us farther apart as the years have progressed. Since both our parents died many years ago, it has been easier to let things slip away. I have been making some renewed efforts to remedy that, and this is one of the results. So, I'm looking forward to that.

Then, tonight we have the dress rehearsal for our little church Christmas play. There are 11 in the cast, ranging in age from 5 - 12. It has been a huge amount of effort with all the practices and costume-getting, etc. even for the modest performance which it will be. But, hopefully, it will make many good memories for those involved and will go off reasonably well!

Have a good day, everyone!
Suzanne :)

marie on 12/13/03 at 08:41 (139905)

Thanks for the comfoting post. On the opposite end (north) of the country it is 10 degrees outside. It's sunny with a few clouds. It's still quiet here but customers are due at anytime.

Today we have a wedding and then off to an Open House of some dear friends at their antique store. Tommorow I have to drive to Toledo and pick up any Scholastic art entries that did not make it in the show. And then another open house at the university president's home. It is a beautiful old home and I am anxious to see what it looks like inside......of course my hubby continues to let me know that his old girlfriend use to live there. He had alot of girlfriends so this is no news to me. They all report to me that my hubby told them that they were his first kiss. I guess if you find a line that works you stick to it. I keep my mouth shut and smile when they tell me this.

marie

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/03 at 09:00 (139906)

It does sound so picturesque, with snow, and horses! You're right... we hurry so much sometimes that quiet, peaceful moments like this are something I truly enjoy.

I'm glad that you are trying to become closer to your sister's side of the family. My brothers and I have been trying to become closer, too. We don't always get along, but we are family. When I look at them or listen to their voices, I see or hear my father and others that I will never see or hear again.

Sounds like fun to rehearse your Christmas play, and to see the results of all the hard work. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/03 at 09:18 (139909)

Sounds peaceful up there, too! Cold (BRRRR!!!) but peaceful! I hope you too had, a few minutes of quiet, peaceful contemplation before your day started.

Don't let your husband's old girlfriends bother you a bit. I am sure you don't. I cannot imagine being such a 'kiss and tell' person as they; no wonder he didn't stay with them. The first romantic kiss may be something they all claim, but he married you and not them (so they can just eat their hearts out).

Hope you have fun at the antique store open house today!

Carole C

Suzanne D. on 12/13/03 at 09:41 (139910)

That's a nice way to put it, Carole: 'We don't always get along, but we are family'. That takes some living to realize, doesn't it?

And you're also right about seeing and hearing family members who are no longer with us in our relatives. This is probably more noticeable when you don't see your family members often. I know that any time I go back to my hometown, I meet someone who exclaims how much I remind them of my mother. Physically, I don't think I look much like her at all, but there must be something about my voice, mannerisms, personality, etc. that brings her to mind.

Well, I'm off in just a few minutes! The snow has almost covered the roads, but it seems now to be a dry snow, the kind that blows from the road when you drive. So that will be good as I don't normally do a lot of driving in snow.

Suzanne :)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/13/03 at 09:50 (139914)

Drive carefully! And have a nice day. :)

Carole C

Kathy G on 12/13/03 at 10:36 (139918)

Interesting subject. My mother was the youngest of three children but both of her siblings died in their fifties. Until the last few years, I don't think I understood how hard it was for her to have no one to talk to with whom she shared a history. I remind myself of this when one of my dear sisters is driving me crazy! :))

The late Richard Crenna, who had a recurring role on the show, 'Judging Amy,' reminded me of my late father. I couldn't put my finger on it and I still don't know whether it was his mannerisms or his looks but he bore an uncanny resemblence to my dad. At first I thought it was my imagination but then my husband mentioned it to me. I know that when he was younger, the resemblence wasn't there. I can't tell you what comfort I got from watching that show and how upset I was when Crenna died! It's as if my chance to see my father on a nearly weekly basis had been taken away from me!

Hope you all enjoy your weekend! We have a family party for my great-nephew's birthday this afternoon and then tomorrow, of course, is football day. I get to watch the Patriots! We had a Northeaster, or Nor'easter as we call them here in NE, last weekend and there's another one forecasted to start tomorrow afternoon. We were luck in southern NH and got only about 14' last week but in places in MA got up to three feet!

It's kind of early for storms of this magnitude but at least it held off until December and didn't start to snow in October, like last year!

marie on 12/13/03 at 17:05 (139957)

Thanks Carol. He's a great guy....a keeper.:D

marie

P.S. I'm in between the wedding and the party so my day is still going.