Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Caffeine and fluid retention?

Posted by Ellen J. on 12/14/03 at 12:51 (139980)

Hi all,
I happened to be reading some articles on the internet about the causes of fluid retention in the body and wondered if some of the solutions might apply to excess fluid in the feet due to plantar fasciitis. What got me started was that I noticed that when I drink alot of coffee, the fluid accumulates alot more under my eyes--even if I drink lots of plain water to combat dehydration from the diuretic effects of the coffee. I then read an interesting article that stated that coffee wipes the postassium and B vitamins out of the body, and those vitamins (and the potassium) are responsible for regulating fluid balance in the body. It's pretty complex, and there are lots of causes of fluid retention but it all ended up making me wonder, if someone cut out all caffeine and cut down on salt and increased fluid intake, would that help prevent some of the pain in feet from fluid buildup? I have yet to totally give up caffeine because I love the stuff but still, it's making me wonder! If anyone is interested in reading one of the articles I read, I will try and type the link here. It's off the internet, so should be taken with a grain of salt, I guess.
There were a few other articles I read that dealt specifically with caffeine, whereas the above link deals more with potassium loss, and that loss can be caused by drinking too much coffee.
Ellen J.

Re: Caffeine and fluid retention?

Carole C in NOLA on 12/14/03 at 12:54 (139981)

I've noticed that when I drink a lot of coffee, and eat salty foods and a lot of carbs (which also make me retain water), my PF would get worse.

But for me, avoiding fluid retention didn't make my PF go away or anything like that.

Like my mother used to tell me... 'Moderation in all things!' I'm sure that's a quote from someone famous, but I have no idea who.

Carole C

Pauline on 12/14/03 at 18:31 (139997)

I would think getting rid of caffeine and excess sugars does a body good.

Ellen J. on 12/15/03 at 09:15 (140022)

You and Carol are right, and I have already started cutting down on caffeine as well as carbs and salt. I just discovered a low carb bread called Ezekiel Bread, which is in the frozen food section of the health food stores. It is actually very good and tastes like a whole grain bread--however, it mostly consists of sprouted grains, which apparently increases the protein content dramatically, and reduces the carbohydrate content. I think people on the high-protein/low carb diets eat this bread and although I'm not on that diet, it's a very healthy bread to eat. Thought I would mention it for those who want to try it.

Pam S. on 12/16/03 at 19:31 (140116)

I am happy to see you discovered Ezekiel bread. A nutritionist I saw recommended it highly to me and I rarely eat white flour anymore. This time of year I am bad on this diet with all the temptations but I really try to follow this. My feeling is that sugar and white flour contribute to inflammation throughout our bodies. There is also a great bagel called Sprouted Wheat bagel (original huh) and they are great. (by Alvarado St. bakery and I get them at Whole Foods. They are really a treat with apple butter on them. There are 9 grams of protein per bagel!!! Yeah!! Take care, Pam