Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

calcium suppliments for heel spurs?

Posted by Marie C. on 12/14/03 at 22:18 (140007)

My heel pain has become quite painful and I am reluctant to think about surgery without trying non-invasive remedies. I have been hearing about special calcium supplements (in the right doses) as a cure. What do you know about this?

Re: calcium suppliments for heel spurs?

Pauline on 12/14/03 at 22:53 (140008)

I'm not a doctor, but I've had plantar fasciitis three times. My advice is for you to save your money. There is no calicum supplement that I know of or documented medical research that says special calcium supplements will cure your condition. My guess is you've heard the ads for Coral Calcium. You might want to check this website for good information on this product. http://www.quackwatch.org/

I think you'll find most of the people here who have been dealing with your condition and the Podiatrists who treat it will tell you the same thing.

Your best information will come from reading Scott's book and from asking questions of the doctors and others who participate in this forum.

Richard, C.Ped on 12/15/03 at 07:58 (140021)

Plantar Fasciitis (if that is exactly your diagnosis for your pain) is a stress and overuse type injury. In my opinion, the best thing is to get down to the nitty gritty as to why you have it. The area needs to be off loaded in order to promote healing. Using proper orthotics and rest, rest, rest are the major factors in healing.

As for 'heel spurs' read this link as to a discussion we had regarding them.

Suzanne D. on 12/15/03 at 14:56 (140031)

And, Marie, here is Scott's book of which Pauline was speaking: Just click on the blue words - Heel Pain Book. You'll find much helpful information.

Best wishes to you!
Suzanne :)

Marie C. on 12/15/03 at 21:30 (140055)

The calcium products I refer to are mentioned on the address of: http://www.ahealthybargain.com . If anyone cares to check it out and let me know what you think I would appreciate it. This same article speaks of coral calcium as a poison to the human body.
Thank you in advance!

Pauline on 12/15/03 at 21:59 (140058)

Call an Endocrinologist in your area that treats bone diseases/conditions and ask him/her about this statement from the link you posted.

'Many people that suffer from bone spurs find relief when they properly supplement their diet daily with 'good' Calcium.
The reason for this is that when the body is deficient of calcium it begins to leach calcium from the bones. In many people this happens to be in the heel of the foot or some other weak area of the body, as the calcium is being leached it forms an eruption (similar to a volcano). This eruption is the bone spur, and when the body is fed the right amount of 'good' Calcium the eruption subsides along with the pain'.

I think you'll get a better and more honest answer from that source than from this advertisement for a supplement.

All of us have spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars on our share of supplement, shoes, orthotics, creams etc. If you want to try this one you should. You'd be no different than the rest of us who spent money
on lots of other items looking for 'the P.F. cure'.

Just don't be dissappointed if it doesn't work as stated. Chalk it up to trial and error and move on. If it works for you, you'll have gotten your money's worth.