Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

When should one have their orthotics adjusted???

Posted by Nancy F. on 12/15/03 at 00:49 (140014)

I have been getting some relief from my custom orthotics & have had them for ablout a year & a half. At what point do u usually have them adjusted?

Re: When should one have their orthotics adjusted???

Carl on 12/15/03 at 07:01 (140015)

Nancy, I do not know about having them (adjusted), but I had my pair(refurbished) at about a year and a half. The lab replaced all of the component parts (top cover, postings, etc.) for about fifty dollars.

Richard, C.Ped on 12/15/03 at 07:53 (140020)

Sometimes, after that amount of time has passed, it may be a cause of breakdown in the material used. If they felt fine before, that may be the cause.
Richard

Kathy in KY on 12/18/03 at 21:34 (140260)

I've also had my orthotics about 1 1/2 yrs. The padded foam area on top is getting worn in spots. Could this be the partial cause of sharp heel pain when driving?

Carole C in NOLA on 12/19/03 at 09:27 (140315)

Sounds like you are ready for a new pair of orthotics, either way, so I hope you decide to get them.

When my PF was more severe, driving was very hard on my right foot; there's a lot of strain on that foot when pressing on the accelerator or brake. It's probably best not to drive any more than you have to, if it causes sharp heel pain like that.

Carole C

Kathy in Ky on 12/21/03 at 13:49 (140484)

You're right Carole. I don't drive any more than necessary but with a busy teenager who isn't old enough to drive yet, I'm on the road a lot. My husband has been very helpful this fall but he hasn't been out much either since surgery. I completed most of my Christmas shopping online. Plus I just ordered my lst pair of Birkenstocks (my present to myself!) Tomorrow is going to be a big day of driving. I'm taking my daughter & carload of friends to our annual trip to the outlet mall, KY Horse Park Southern Lights Christmas display & out to eat at Cracker Barrel! Needless to say, I'm taking a book, finding a chair whenever possible & letting them do all the exploring!

Re: to Kathy in Ky...

Suzanne D. on 12/22/03 at 10:16 (140548)

Hi, Kathy! I hope you enjoy the trip with your daughter and her friends to the mall and that you are able to sit quite a bit so your feet don't hurt too much!

I'm also glad you ordered some Birkenstocks for yourself, and I hope they work well for you. Just a reminder to break them in slowly, Kathy. I am sure you know this, but just in case, I thought I'd mention it. Even if they feel good at the time, just wear them for a couple of hours the first day, then increase the time each day. Since you mentioned that you ordered them, I thought it might be good to point this out. I talked about Birks to a friend who ordered them and then she wore them all day the first day and was miserable for a few days after that! I thought I talked to her about breaking them in, but she forgot, and there were no instructions in the box to remind her.

Merry Christmas!
Suzanne :)

Re: to Kathy in Ky...

Kathy in Ky on 12/22/03 at 21:22 (140618)

Thanks for your advice, I had forgotten about breaking them in slowly. I'll wear them around the house a few hours each day during Christmas break. If my mom gives me cash for Christmas, I'm adding another pair of Birks to my closet. Probably Boston style. We made it to the Horse Park Lights early enough to beat the long lines & was able to have a great time. I made sure to tape my right foot before starting this morning & rested at Cracker Barrel before starting the evening. Thanks for the advice & Merry Christmas!