Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

SAS - A great company to work for!!

Posted by Aly on 12/15/03 at 13:01 (140027)

Look who showed up in the news, our SAS shoemakers. As many of you know, SAS does not market their shoes online, and believes in doing things the 'old-fashioned way'. Sounds like the people running the company have their hearts in the right place!

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/12/15/offbeat.shoe.factory.ap/index.html

Re: SAS - A great company to work for!!

Suzanne D. on 12/15/03 at 14:48 (140028)

Wow! As I sit here at the end of a school day, wearing my SAS shoes, I am happy to think about those surprised and delighted workers! No wonder that story made the news; something like that doesn't happen very often, I'm sure.

Thanks for sharing it with us!
Suzanne :)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/15/03 at 15:29 (140034)

Oh, my, what a wonderful surprise for those employees! I would be utterly speechless, and I can think of a lot of possibilities for an extra few thousand dollars.

Working for Uncle Sam, we don't get such bonuses but other great benefits make up for that.

Still, the idea of having a big Christmas bonus like that seems like a dream come true and probably would for anyone. :)

Carole

Dorothy on 12/15/03 at 17:35 (140041)

Oh, that's really great to hear! Plus, they are shoes that are made in the U.S. with U.S. workers. That is a rare thing. It's good news.

marie on 12/16/03 at 17:54 (140106)

What a great example. It's so nice to hear that a US company took the time and money to surprise the people that make their business work. I bet there are many loyal emplyees there who are going to enjoy a fun Christmas.

Necee on 12/17/03 at 23:54 (140186)

SAS makes great shoes. I will continue to shop at their stores, I believe in their product and what the company stands for.
It's great to see that those faithful employees were rewarded for their long years of service.
Hummm......maybe it's time for me to consider switching jobs!

Merry Christmas to all....

Necee

Kathy G on 12/18/03 at 08:12 (140197)

Isn't it great? There was an article in the Boston Globe about it this morning and these people are very private and 'not too happy with all this attention,' one of them said, But in since Corporate America seems to dominate our lives, it does the heart good to hear of something like this happening. Kind of like Aaron Feuerstein in Lawrence, MA, a few years back, who kept his workers on the payroll while he rebuilt his burnt mill that made polar fleece.

I guess Pittsfield, Maine, is a tiny town, only 4,500 people and many of them work in the SAS factory. Here's to business the way it should be run!

And the fact that they make shoes that help so many people's feet doesn't hurt either!

Dorothy on 12/18/03 at 12:08 (140212)

Yes, it was Malden Mills. I still look for it by name when buying a fleece item. We all need to think very, very seriously about US companies, where they are and where they are going, and try to make decisions in accord with that information. It made me happy to read that about SAS also. Although the bonus was generous from SAS, these kinds of events used to be the NORM for American workers. Now it's a news story.