Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A.R.T. any bad things I should know about it??

Posted by David B on 12/15/03 at 14:56 (140030)

I have heard alot of good things about active release treatment but was wondering what are the risks in having A.R.T. done? Can they tear up something they shouldn't? I have had 2 ESWT treaments and have had very little success. I really don't want to have PF done so I really don't have many other options to try.

Re: A.R.T. any bad things I should know about it??

helen s on 12/15/03 at 16:10 (140036)

What is ART. I had Plantar Release Op about 14 years ago and wish I never had. Its caused more problems with scar tissue. I would advise anyone not to have any ops.

David B on 12/15/03 at 19:36 (140048)

ART active release therapy, they break up scar tissue with a deep massage.

Aly on 12/16/03 at 07:38 (140066)

Hi David,

I'm not a doctor so I don't know the 'worst case scenario' as far as A.R.T. is concerned - I do not think there are likely to be risks, but perhaps Dr.Z or Dr. Wander can advise on any possible risks, or if there are conditions that it would be contraindicated for.

I'm a current patient, so I can give you that perspective. The first 2 sessions I had were *very* painful. I started taking ibuprofen beforehand and that helped a lot. My feet started feeling looser (who knew they were tight?!) and the circulation after a treatment felt great.

The treatments now can be uncomfortable, but even so I look forward to them, and wish I could afford to go more often! I've been going through a major setback (overdid it big time and hurt my feet taping) and last week I had a session that made me feel so much better - I improved 30-40% (from my setback towards my usual baseline level of pain) after the one session. I do not think they would 'tear up something they shouldn't' - after all, you'd be right there to stop them if the pain was intense or felt 'wrong'. There are no jerky movements - they're long and intense movements - so you could stop the person at any time.

If you've had PF for a long time, A.R.T. would not cure you overnight, nor would it likely cure you in a month. It's a longer-term treatment that would need to be used alongside all the other things you do for PF. My first provider claimed he cured someone in 2 treatments, but that person was in the very first stages of PF.

If you have any other questions, do let me know. I think for those of us with severe & chronic PF should try anything and everything within reason to help ourselves - we never know which treatment will be the key to defeating the condition...

Aly on 12/16/03 at 07:41 (140067)

Hi Helen,

If you want further explanation, do a search on this site for A.R.T. and Active Release and you'll find a number of detailed posts.

HilaryG on 12/16/03 at 15:57 (140089)

Aly- I am so glad ART seems to be helping you. I too have had a bit of a setback. It was the result of tightened calves from cycling on a stationary cycle. However my chiro has helped tremendously and I am almost back to where I was pre-setback. I did, however, stop the cycling, which was intended to help lower my blood pressure. Oh well, guess I'll just have to take blood pressure medication. My feet just have to be a priority. Hope you continue to improve. Hilary

Julie on 12/16/03 at 16:04 (140090)

Hilary, unless your blood pressure is really high, and your doctor insists on it for your wellbeing, you shouldn't need to take medication. If cycling was sufficient to get it to a reasonable level, and your doctor agreed to it, you would find that learning relaxation techniques would help you even more. There are classes you can join, and good audio cassettes to use at home, and I would certainly recommend you give it a try. Relaxation will also help you manage your pain.

HilaryG on 12/16/03 at 16:07 (140091)

Aly, I am taking a class in Mindfulness Stress Reduction, but I don't know yet whether or not it will help. It's not extremely high, so the doctor is giving me some time to lower it by natural means. Thanks, Hilary

Aly on 12/16/03 at 16:08 (140092)

Oh I'm sorry you're having a setback too! Very frustrating, I know. I'm glad you wrote though - I'm starting physiotherapy soon (now I have posterior tibial tendonitis...) and he'll probably want me to try the stationary bike. Now I know what to be careful of!

Good luck Hilary! Hope you feel better soon.

HilaryG on 12/16/03 at 16:08 (140093)

Oh I'm sorry. That was from Julie, not Aly.

HilaryG on 12/16/03 at 16:10 (140094)

Thanks for your good wishies Aly. The same to you. Even though I don't write often, my thoughts are with you. Hilary