Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Spur removal

Posted by Sandra K on 12/16/03 at 09:50 (140073)

I had a heel spur removed on right back ankle at outpatient surgery, a very large one according to my surgeon. I was up and walking on the third day and dancing on the 5th day. Back at work on the 6th day no problems. It was a sure cure for me, as getting up in the mornings was sheer agony. At my age (60) this was great.

Re: Heel Spur removal

Dr. Z on 12/16/03 at 10:22 (140078)

It appears that your achilles tendon was left intact and the bone was removed without the need for lifting the AT away from the back of the heel. Glad to hear that you did so well. Pain is something that can really take hold of your life

Re: Heel Spur removal

Pat D. on 12/21/03 at 15:53 (140498)

Don't forget to get a bone density test. This is especially important if you are a 40+ woman. Also get an xray on the other foot to see if something is developing there too. There may be some things you can do to head off another heel spur problem. (As I understand it, a heel spur does not necessarily cause a problem, but most people with PF have a heel spur.) Your insurance company will not normally pay for a bone density test or xrays on the other foot, but they will NOW because your POD will be able to authorize it. Take advantage!