Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

School Christmas Programs

Posted by Kathy in KY on 12/16/03 at 21:19 (140123)

I just returned from our elementary Christmas music program. It turned out to be one of the best programs in recent years! We always worry during all the practices that take several days before the big event. Things like who will fall off the risers, who will throw up during the performance or who will freeze with stagefright... There were plenty of proud smiles throughout the audience, so I guess the parents & grandparents were as pleased as the teachers. If you've never helped with an elementary holiday production, you just don't know what you've missed! Only downfall is that is was necessary to start wearing my walking cast again this week due to all the standing on concrete & long practices. But I hope to get back to regular shoes again over the Christmas break.

Re: School Christmas Programs

Suzanne D. on 12/16/03 at 21:54 (140124)

Oh, yes, Kathy; I DO know what you are talking about!! I'm happy you had a successful program and understand what this means to you and your students. =D> My congratulations to you all!

The school where I teach opened last January after two small schools were consolidated and redistricting was done, bringing students from another existing elementary school. One of the things I loved about our old, small school was that any child whose parents gave permission could be in the annual Christmas drama. We would have them packed in the gym, many in the audience standing in the back as there were no more seats.

Our music teacher wanted to continue that tradition, and I am happy to say that we had the same percentage of involvement, and our new, big gym was just as packed. It was a great production for our first Christmas in the new school.

I helped direct our church's children's Christmas play this year, and our performance was last Sunday night. Like you wrote about, I really had some doubts and stress during the last month. But it all came together, and I was so proud of the children and thankful that it went well.

I enjoyed reading your post!
Suzanne :)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/17/03 at 08:17 (140137)

How lovely for the new, big school to still allow each child whose parents gave permission to participate in the Christmas performance!

I'm not a teacher, but I remember being a student during Christmas pageants. Memories can be so sweet as one grows older.

When I was a little girl we only had 12-20 students per grade in my elementary school, so the Christmas performances of the combined 4th, 5th, and 6th grade were probably a bit lacking in genuine talent. However, they were not lacking in enthusiasm or motivation! The idea of participating in something that we were sure would be absolutely breathtakingly beautiful right there in our school, was really fun. I was usually the 'reader', and read a prepared text about the meaning of Christmas while some other students in costumes posed in various frozen positions in a sort of creche scene on a makeshift stage under a spotlight. The whole school (and the parents, too) would sing when it was time for the songs.

All this was back in the 1950's, nearly half a century ago. Children in your school will probably remember their Christmas performance for many years to come! A children's Christmas performance is a gift from the children to the audience and parents. Just thinking back on it, I remember that we children felt a true Christmas spirit that adults rarely can experience in the same simple and genuine way.

Carole C

marie on 12/17/03 at 20:39 (140178)

Kathy,

A round of aplause for you and your talented students.

=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>!

Suzanne D. on 12/18/03 at 17:48 (140242)

I can imagine you being picked as the reader, Carole! That role is always given to a dependable and smart student, which I am sure you were. :)

You have a good point about the simple and genuine spirit of giving which children tend to show more often than adults.

Suzanne :)

wendyn on 12/18/03 at 22:41 (140266)

When I was in first grade, I was very excited to be picked for the top spot in the Christmas musical. That was until I realized that I was supposed to be 'Mommy' during the 'I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus' song.

I was supposed to kiss 'Santa' who was really Miles M (he smelled like egg salad sandwiches).

I threw a fit and they finally let me out of my obligation (I obviously should have studied my contract more closely before signing on for my acting debut).

Instead, I held up one of the big letters when we spelled out 'C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S'. I think I was a C, but I can't remember for sure.

Dorothy on 12/19/03 at 01:37 (140278)

I love egg salad sandwiches. They were a favorite treat for me when, on occasion, my mother would take me to a diner, we would sit at the counter, and I would order that exotic wonder: egg salad on toast, cut on the diagonal. I bet I smelled GOOD and kissable. It's never been a problem in my life.