Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Will the REAL Doctor Please Stand Up?

Posted by Dorothy on 12/17/03 at 14:54 (140146)

I'm thinking of changing my moniker here from Dorothy to Dr. Zhivago or Dr. Strangelove; Dr. Jekyl or Dr. Seuss, Dr. Feelgood or Dr.!Dr.! Give me the News!, Dr. Demento, Dr. Mentary....

But instead, I'll stick with Dorothy from Kansas and Oz. Kansas, where we run run run from sme4es in sturdy oxfords and Oz where we travel long distances with strange companions, occasionally hopping, skipping and jumping, and running, with the only footwear being a lovely pair of ruby red pumps with a bow and a heel of about two inches.

To those who are worried about Dr. G being Dr. He Who Shall Remain Nameless, I say - pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. He is that new hybrid - the orthopodiapedic lithotriptic ARTful surgeonistic wizard. He will sic vicious winged monkeys on your feet and around your ankles and you will run like the wind - and, in hindsight, you will see that a miracle has occurred. In Oz.

Re: Magic Ruby Slippers

Carole C in NOLA on 12/17/03 at 15:16 (140148)

I like those ruby slippers that Dorothy wears! Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, that is. :)

They are so pretty and red and shiny and irridescent, and they click together so nicely. Each and every woman here deserves her very own pair of magic ruby slippers when she recovers from PF enough to walk in them.

Then we could visit one another with a 'click-click' of the heels, and a wish. Imagine all of us, the 'women of PF' flying all over the world together in our ruby slippers. :)

Carole C

Re: Will the REAL Doctor Please Stand Up?

Richard, C.Ped on 12/18/03 at 08:34 (140200)

And Dr. Shoals (sp?)...and the Dr. who was the keyboard player in Prince's band in the 80's. Holy cow...how did I remember that? haha

Suzanne D. on 12/18/03 at 17:51 (140243)

Oh, yes...wouldn't that be nice, Carole?! ;) I would certainly enjoy flying around from place to place visiting friends I've made here!

Suzanne :)

wendyn on 12/18/03 at 22:32 (140264)

You know, (first of all I have no idea what this thread is really about) but I was talking to a friend yesterday who has NEVER seen The Wizard of Oz.

Can you believe that!?!?!?!?!!?

R C on 12/19/03 at 00:32 (140273)

Yeah, what are you guys talking about? Did I miss another of our juicy controversies?

Dorothy on 12/19/03 at 01:30 (140275)

It started out with me and my quirkiness reacting to the near-controversial discussion (not with me) that was going on between Pauline and some of the doctors that seemed to have at its center: who is a real doctor/who is a better doctor and also someone saying he/she was a doctor but not giving his/her full name and there being some speculation that this was a person/doctor from the past here (I call him He Who Shall Not Be Named a la Harry Potter/Voldemort - again, just my humor) and his/her (one 'Dr. G') post causing suspicion(not me) and matters such as that. I just felt wryly humorous, that's all.
And I had written about Dorothy and Oz and the ruby slippers in my wild abandonment of silliness and others picked up on that and there you have it. I'm not from Kansas, by the way, but I have been in a few sme4es.

Dorothy on 12/19/03 at 01:32 (140276)

That would Dr. Scholls. Shoals would be where he swims, fishes or takes his boat and wrecks it.

A Dr. was a keyboard player in Prince's band in the 80s??

And not to forget: Dr. J.!!

Julie on 12/19/03 at 01:51 (140285)

Wendy, I've seen the Wizard of Oz at least 17 times. The first time was in 1939, the year it was released, when I was four. Most of the other viewings were between 5 and 12, but I've seen it several times since passing 50, and my husband gave me a video of it not too many years ago.

The eternal movie, that's what it is.

Dorothy on 12/19/03 at 02:09 (140287)

Butting in, I am. It's a truly wonderful movie, part of our collective memory. However, the flying monkies are very, very scarey, as is the song they sing (OH-EE-OH....etc.) as they march into the castle. It surely had to do with what was happening in Europe in 1939, don't you think?
1939 was such an extraordinary year for great movies and they are the ones that are still beloved today.
'Casablanca' did not come out in 1939, but my husband and I watched it again recently (the umpteenth time) and it is always like watching it for the first time. Now that is a good movie! Julie, do you remember when 'Gone with the Wind' used to come around to the theatres every seven years, I think it was, and people would fill the theatres each time? It is still amazing to me that we can go out and RENT movies and watch them at home; 'kids today' will not have that amazement because their experience of movies is completely different. I was born too late for 'Gone with the Wind's' original showings, but throughout my childhood and youth saw it when it came around for its periodic showings. When videocassettes were developed and movie rentals were available, I rented GWTW. No, this movie demands a large, elegant movie theatre with a gigantic screen. It is a completely different movie on a television screen and it ruined Clark Gable/Rhett Butler for me. (I still curse Scarlet's stupidity!)

Richard, C.Ped on 12/19/03 at 08:24 (140305)

You would think a Board Certified Pedorthist such as I would know how to spell Dr. Scholls correctly...HAHAHAHA.

The keyboard player always wore scrubs. Prince called him the 'Doctor'.

Dont forget Dr.Pepper too.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/19/03 at 09:14 (140313)

No, I can't believe it!! That boggles the mind.

Carole C

Julie on 12/19/03 at 10:01 (140318)

The flying monkeys still scare me, Dorothy. And I love Casablanca, which I didn't see until I was a grown-up. (Well, I'm getting to be a sort of grown-up. Maybe.) And I'm sure I have a memory of seeing GWTW on its first release, but my parents couldn't have taken a four-year-old to see it, could they? It must have been later. You are absolutely right about videos. Watching films at home can never replace the excitement of 'going out' to the movies - nor can the small screen replace the big screen.

My parents and I used to go out to see a movie just about every Saturday night in 1940s Bronx. It was our weekly family treat. We'd have a meal at the local delicatessen (hot dogs for me, soup for my mother, pastrami sandwich for my dad and Pepsies all round) and then head off for the Surrey (Mt Eden Avenue near the Grand Concourse) or the Devon (170th Street) to see whatever was on. When I came to live in England years later I realised that both these theatres were named after counties in southern England.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/19/03 at 11:14 (140327)

I love the flying monkeys. I'm sure a psychiatrist would have a field day analyzing the reason for that! As a child, I identified with the good characters but also with the witches in fairy tales. I didn't want anybody to get hurt. When I first saw Snow White, at age 5, I wept loudly when the witch went over the cliff, and had to be taken out of the theater. Mother said I was too sensitive. LOL

Carole C

nancy s. on 12/19/03 at 11:31 (140329)

clearly you were 'too' sensitive, carole, but what a nice 'flaw' to have. your anecdote is very cute!

nancy

R C on 12/19/03 at 16:07 (140362)

Thanks. Now it all falls into place. Personally, I remember watching Oz when I was little, and it scared the life out of me. Flying monkeys and the Folgers coffee lady riding the broom and all... Had a major crush on Dorothy, too.

marie on 12/19/03 at 20:20 (140378)

ok! Now I get it. I wasn't sure what the heck was going on.

JudyS on 12/20/03 at 01:52 (140402)

Wild Abandonment? Wow. I've been away too long! :)

Kathy G on 12/20/03 at 09:45 (140420)

At the risk of sounding unAmerican or something, I have to go on record as saying I despise the movie. I don't like Judy Garland anyway and I found the whole movie to be grotesque. I also hated that stupid 'Off to see the Wizard' song. I've never actually sat through the whole movie. How's that for a Bah Humbug kind of attitude?

Now, I loved Gone with the Wind and agree that it should be seen in a theatre not at home on a smaller screen TV. And Casablanca will never get old to me. I think Ingrid Bergman and Bogie were wonderful. I have to admit, though, that after seeing 'Play it again Sam', the scene at the airport has never been quite the same!:D

Julie on 12/20/03 at 09:53 (140425)

Kathy, that's a classic bit of Bah Humbug and it doesn't sound in the least un-American. Thanks for the laugh! And I certainly don't mind if you don't like the Wizard of Oz - I've seen it enough times for both of us.

John H on 12/20/03 at 22:08 (140455)

I liked Judy Garland as a child but sure did not like her when she grew up and never have been a fan of Liza. Now Jane Powell is another story. She was the love of my life as a teen.

Dr. Zuckerman on 12/21/03 at 11:10 (140477)

My father loved Judy Garland. Every Sunday he played all of her Music. He also was a big Frank Sinatra Fan. Anyway. The last thing I remember about Judy Garland was when my father took the entire family to see her in concert at a local concert. The place was called the Camden County Music Fair. Judy was so drunk that she couldn't finish the concert. Her daughter Liza was in the audience and walked up and finished the show. I have no idea how young I was but I remember like it was yesterday