Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cortisone Question

Posted by Dorothy on 12/17/03 at 18:30 (140173)

I realize that the steroid cortisone reduces inflammation, but how exactly does it work? Why would it on the one hand reduce inflammation and on the other hand carry so many potential hazards - the risk of rupture increasing, for example? And why does steroid use increase the risk of osteoporosis? If you would rather not take the time to answer, is there a reference source you can point me to? Thanks much.

Re: Cortisone Question

SteveG on 12/17/03 at 19:42 (140176)

Not a doc, of course, but I am sure that if you ran a search in google you could find information on its antiinflammatory properties and its potential side effects. Here, for example, is a article that discusses the relationship between cortisone and the absorbtion of calcium -

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Hormones_cortisone?open

Here is a much more detailed and academic discussion of the drug and it role in treatment, potential problems, etc

http://www.aanp.org/NR/rdonlyres/ephw73qbua2mme7wk7uvznv47xwxysatcrtlsdstquhcwhs6kmttk5ay23himin2fbloiz5cfwupxg/1%252e5%252e52Clyman+.pdf

Dorothy on 12/18/03 at 00:22 (140189)

Thanks SteveG for this information and for the leg press answer, too. I will take a look at the links you provided. About the leg press/squat: I do those on a Total Gym sometimes. When I had PT for a back problem, the PT clinic had a 'Professional' Total Gym and the leg press/squat was one of my favorite things to do. It really did something good for the back. When I can use a TG, I like to do that exercise especially. To my knowledge, it has not been detrimental for PF with me. I actually figured it might be good because it is weight resistant but not really weight bearing - or so I thought. I wonder if anybody else here uses a Total Gym either at home or in PT. Thanks again ~

Kathy G on 12/18/03 at 08:26 (140199)

Dorothy,

I don't have time to see where your mention about the Total Gym or squatting came from, but for me, squatting is one of the most painful things I can do. It pulls my fascia and causes extreme pain in my arch area. I am reminded of it every time I forget, and squat to do something.

Just a personal observation - but just the idea of squatting while lifting weight, if that's what you're referencing, makes me cringe!

I should have my husband show me what you mean as he has a Total Gym.

Dorothy on 12/18/03 at 12:04 (140211)

No, I don't mean squatting while lifting weight. I'm afraid we're all getting a little mix-up of terms, which is why I was trying to clarify with SteveG. about squats versus leg presses. He said that my description of what I had learned to call squats is what he and others call leg presses. I think what you are referring to is the traditional definition of squats - plus weight lifting. No, that's not what I mean.
So, your experience of your version of 'squats' would not have anything to do with what I was describing. I think.

SteveG on 12/18/03 at 12:56 (140216)

When I do a leg press, I am sitting at a machine - that's what I mean by a press. A squat is where you are crouched down and lift to a standing position

Dorothy on 12/18/03 at 15:47 (140228)

SteveG's post further clarifying squats versus leg presses explains it perfectly.

Sara Y on 12/18/03 at 21:17 (140258)

Dear Dorthy,
I am a physical therapist and also a pf sufferrrrr. Listen, technique to keep your feet from hurting is the key. Make sure that when you come down to your lowest point (when the sled hits the bottom) that your knees are at a 90 deg angle. Also make sure that your heel or your toes do not raise and you should be fine. What i have learned in all this is that everyone reacts differently to this thing. I am a therapist and suppose to know everything. I tried all the standard treatment and none of it worked. I even broke down and got injections. Big mistake: my heels are degenerated. Your body is the best judge. If you are not having pain then try it out. I would however ice your heels after every activity just in case.

Dorothy on 12/19/03 at 01:45 (140282)

Thank you, Sara Y. And I am sorry your have the trouble you are having. PF is a bad deal, isn't it. When you say your heels are degenerated, do you believe they will improve from your current status? I do hope so.

Thanks again for the exercise advice.

Dorothy on 12/19/03 at 01:51 (140284)

Sara Y and everybody: I just read my post to Sara Y. and I am so embarrassed at the errors! I guess I am more tired than I realized. Please accept the corrections: '..sorry you're having the trouble...'
Man oh man.
Good night.