Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Metatarsal Region pain...Richard Cped

Posted by Rachael T. on 12/18/03 at 13:30 (140222)

Richard-I asked on the drs. board & also posted this prob. on the treatment board & Steve G replied that he too has metatarsal & ball of foot pain as do I of late. I no longer have the insertional & knifelike pain in heel - but now have overall soreness mainly at metatarsal...Yest., my phys. therap. decided to send back my orth. & have them adjusted w/ less arch to put less strain & weight on outside metatarsal (pinky) as that is sore. I HOPEFULLy wish that maybe this is how PF originally came - & maybe, maybe it now leaving the same way??? (If poss., please read my other board posts regarding this so you can understand me.) & Then, Please - your thoughts?

Re: Metatarsal Region pain...Richard Cped

Richard, C.Ped on 12/19/03 at 08:30 (140307)

Unless the your foot impression was taken way out of neutral...I would never suggest taking out less arch of an orthosis. That will reduce the amount of support on your fascia.

I hate to say it...but I think this is one that I would actually have to see in order to be able to tell you what is going on. :(

If something is putting pressure on the ball of your fifth met head, then that is what should be addressed, not the arch itself. The orthosis, if it is a 3/4 type, should have a slight downward grade to it. It should be higher at the fifth met, then travel 'downward' toward your fifth. Also, it should not be directly under the met heads...it should be just behind them.
Hope this helps,