Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How is everyone holding up with the shopping season??

Posted by francesc on 12/18/03 at 15:59 (140229)

Just wondered how everyone manages to do the Christmas shopping without making the PF worse? This is my first year having to do the shopping with my orthotics. And while this definitely helps, I did notice that my feet were sore the next morning after shopping for 3-4 hrs the previous day.

Does anyone have any tricks/recommendations besides doing all the shopping online?? :-)

Frances

Re: How is everyone holding up with the shopping season??

marie on 12/18/03 at 16:18 (140232)

Go to Walmart and ask for a cart. Not only is it necessary but it's kinda fun to zip around in them....actually I prefer Meijer's carts they really go fast.

If you don't have a wheel chair check the Trader for a used one. I did alot of shopping in a wheel chair last Christmas. My husband and students all volunteered to push me around the Mall. It's hard to accept that you have to use one but rest is truely the most important cure.

Try going to smaller specialty stores. The lines aren't as long and it's less walking. If you don't have a handicap sticker ask your doc for a temporary one. All you need is a script.

Shop on!

Merry Christmas, marie

Suzanne D. on 12/18/03 at 18:04 (140246)

I try to do a little at a time over an extended period of time, Frances. But one Saturday recently I had a big shopping day and rode in the back seat of a friend's car, stretching my legs out during the entire trip. This really helped me to hold up during all the walking.

Best wishes for a happy holiday!
Suzanne :)

SuzanneK on 12/18/03 at 21:15 (140255)

I solved the problem by doing most of my shopping online. They deliver right to my front door - I don't even have to walk to the mailbox! HA!

wendyn on 12/18/03 at 22:37 (140265)

I went for a Christmas glass of wine last night with friends, then we headed off to do some shopping. Made it somewhat more tolerable (although I wouldn't recommend it on a regular basis)

nancy s. on 12/18/03 at 23:23 (140267)

wendy, which is it that you wouldn't recommend on a regular basis -- the wine or the shopping? i need to know, in order to plan out my holiday schedule better.

nancy
p.s. how are you doing??

Re: My secrety

R C on 12/19/03 at 00:30 (140272)

I did all of my Christmas shopping via the internet. Just about everybody got clothing, toys, or edibles. Simple! I did it all sitting at home in my underwear.

Re: My secrety

Dorothy on 12/19/03 at 01:33 (140277)

Too much information!

Aly on 12/19/03 at 11:13 (140326)

Most malls have free wheelchair rentals - usually near security, but if you call up in advance you can find out where in the mall to go. All you need to do is leave some ID and the wc is yours for the day. Before I got my own chair, this was the way we always shopped. :)

Aly

Re: My secret

R C on 12/19/03 at 21:41 (140386)

Tommy Hilfiger 100% cotton briefs. Red, white and blue.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/19/03 at 22:26 (140396)

Gee, R.C., those sound really snappy. Not too warm, though! Better stock up on chicken soup just in case you catch cold sitting around in this cold weather dressed like that. :)

Carole C (a mother, obviously!)

Dorothy on 12/19/03 at 23:00 (140398)

More of too much information!