Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

neurofibroma rt foot

Posted by gail g on 12/18/03 at 16:18 (140233)

i am writing you here because i amd frustrated, i have a large neurofibroma on the plantar region of my right foot. i have had it excised 3 times prior. lat time being about 5 years ago. i am 26 years old, a registered nurse and i am having alot of pain recently to my foot. i am also having trouble wearing certain shoes, am having numbness to my 1st-3rd toes during activity and driving for short periods. i do know that treatment requires surgical intervention. i have also tried steriod injections and shoe inserts, but those efforts have not been effective for me. i have been told by a general surgeon that i work with that now they have been using radiation therapy along with the surgical excision to help get rid of these non-cancerous tumors. is this correct info. and if not what type of therapy is being used. i am a nurse and i need the best treatment and fastest recovery so that i can go back to work in a timely manner. what can you suggest. i live here in corpus christi, TX. are there any physician(s) that you may recommend? the last time i had surgery for this it did take a long time to heal and was the most painful experience i have ever been through, healing time was about 3 months.i am needing treatment soon, this time i feel that the tumor is much larger and causing more pain. please email me if you have time, i would really appreciate your expertise. sincerely, gail g email:(email removed)

Re: neurofibroma rt foot

Dr. David S. Wander on 12/19/03 at 07:52 (140298)

Gail,

You have a very difficult situation. The problem with radiation to any area, is the potential adverse effects at a later time. Radiation is not a treatment option I would recommend. It's pretty well known that surgical excision of an isolated lesion can result in recurrent lesions. In patients that have had recurrent lesions and now have large and painful lesions, the remaining treatment is a complete 'stripping' of the plantar fascia. Although this seems radical, it may be your only remaining option. Naturally, if the fascia is removed, you must wear support in the area after healing has occurred. Some doctors were using a surgical mesh to 'replace' the fascia, similar to the mesh used in hernia repairs. Even without the mesh, stripping of the entire fascia should result in complete relief, as long as you understand that you will need to wear some form of support/orthoses following healing. Healing may also be prolonged since the bottom of your foot is a weightbearing surface. Any additional surgical procedures to remove an isolated lesion may result in abundant scar tissue and recurrent lesions. I hope this information helps.