Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

tts from taping?

Posted by joey glenn on 12/18/03 at 17:35 (140239)

can one get tts or tendoitis from taping the inner ankle area? if the tarsal tunnel area is constricted with tape when taping the ankle is this possible? i did this for a month straight for about 9 hours a day.

Re: tts from taping?

Aly on 12/19/03 at 09:00 (140311)

Hi Joey,

I'm not a doctor so I hope you don't mind me jumping in. From my own experience of the past month, I'd say YES! I tried taping and developed post tibial tendonitis as a result. Most people are helped by taping, but I wasn't one of them...

Aly

QUINCY on 12/20/03 at 20:13 (140451)

aly,

do you feel the pain constantly,as i have post tib also. what do you do to releive it?

Aly on 12/22/03 at 08:08 (140527)

Hi Quincy,

Just saw your message. I do have it constantly, and when it's bad, it hurts worse than my PF does. I'm learning what irritates it - I have a habit of crossing my legs under my chair, at the ankle. This makes my right ankle flare up within a couple of minutes.

To relieve it - I do as deep a massage as I can handle (and I've been having ART for my feet done, he's started on my lower legs), I ice, I wrap with an ace bandage, I elevate it (my feet swell a bit due to my PF - the Dr. says this exacerbates post tib.) I am going for PT in January...hopefully that will help...

Good luck Quincy!

Aly
:)

QUINCY on 12/22/03 at 17:30 (140605)

thanks for yhe advice Aly. i was wondering if you are able to work full time with this post tib tendonits? i have a boot cast for mine and its been about 5 weeks and i still am in pain. i tried physical therapy, but that seemed to aggravate it. good luck happly holidays.

Aly on 12/23/03 at 08:40 (140655)

I really don't have it very bad - a very mild case that has started to clear up now that I've stopped taping. I can see how it could be painful enough to not be able to work though! I have not had to have a cast or anything. Is it just on one side? If yes - maybe you could get rid of the boot cast and use crutches instead? I say this only b/c the doctor gave me a special compression bandage (like an ace bandage but it had padding on the sides of the ankles, to put pressure on the tendons) - this bandage really aggravated things, and as soon as I got rid of it, I started to improve.

You have my sympathies Quincy, it sounds like you have a bad case...

Aly

PS I have very little knowledge of this condition - but when I went for PT for my rather severe wrist tendonitis, it did make it feel worse before I got better. I learned that I had to go through that in order to strenghten the area and ultimately heal it. (I had bad tendonitis for 5 years - PT has almost cured it) Just my experience with my wrists - I have no idea about how post tib responds to PT...