Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Be Nice....

Posted by Scott R on 12/19/03 at 07:15 (140294)

OK, i'm seeing some 'naughty' posts. I know people aren't taking a liking to Dr G, but i haven't ruled against his anonymity. I allow/disallow anonymity case-by-case. It can be used for privacy or to harm the board. Pauline has addressed his anonymity, but she really shouldn't. Dr G's unfriendly responses stem from Pauline. Pauline's posts were not bad and Dr. G escalated, but if Dr. G is really a newcomer, i will err on the side of a newcomer. Plus, as long as old timers respond to posts from Dr G that they do not like, i can't necessarily fault Dr. G for breaking the post-agreement if old-timers do the same. In short, i'm giving Dr G a wide berth today and will depend on someone to let me know if he posts something mean that is entirely unprovoked. Pauline, please leave Dr G alone. Don't respond to his posts or address him in things like 'observation'. Oldtimers, don't respond to posts you don't like or continue off-topic posts. Dr G, be nice, especially since you've indicated you prefer nice message boards. If i see more posts from Dr. G that are not nice (by my definition of nice) I'll boot him or we'll make it a democratic message board this time and take a vote.

Re: Be Nice....

W Paine on 12/19/03 at 11:36 (140330)

Why decide now to change it to a democracy? I prefer the lynch mob policies myself.

Re: ScottR: entirely unprovoked - and mean

Julie on 12/19/03 at 11:53 (140331)

bbv.cgi?n=140261

Scott R on 12/19/03 at 12:12 (140333)

He didn't say anything mean to quincy, but was defending his reputation that was questioned by others. So it was provoked and only mean to those who started fired the first shot.

Re: to clarify

Scott R on 12/19/03 at 12:29 (140336)

People aren't supposed to respond to unfriendly posts, let alone escalate an argument as troublemakers are apt to do, but i believe the posting agreement should apply more strictly to long-timers, so that starting with mildly unfriendly comments from them are as bad as mildly more mean responses from newcomers.

Julie on 12/19/03 at 13:31 (140346)

No, Scott, he didn't say anything 'mean' to Quincy. But he was 'mean' to just about everybody else here. You may call what he said 'defending his reputation'. I call it crude and insulting, plain and simple. Insulting to all of us 'oldtimers' of whom you expect a high standard.

'Not worthy of watching my dog.'

'Self-righteous individuals with fragile egos.'

'Hayseeds' (this from a post on another thread).

You are entitled, and you are right, to expect a high standard of us. And you get it. Speaking for myself, I think I maintain a reasonably high standard here. I spend a good deal of time using my knowledge and expertise to help other posters, especially new posters, although it is three years since I needed this website for help myself. So do others: Nancy, Judy, Wendy, Suzanne, Carole, Pauline. Dr G has insulted all of us. I don't think you should 'ban' him, and I don't think a vote is called for. But I don't think you should criticise those of us who acknowledge what he is doing.

I think Pauline was justified in questioning Dr G's anonymity. Dr Wander agreed with her, and put the point fairly and diplomatically. Dr G could have responded by identifying himself, or by explaining, without insulting people, why he doesn't want to. He chose not to. He chose to say 'Listen buddy...' In short, he chose to make trouble, within hours of his arrival.

As George Orwell said, in his essay 'The Politics of the English Language', there are some things up with which I will not put. Insults to my friends, and to myself, are amongst them.

I don't want this to escalate, I don't expect or need a response from you, and I won't say anything more about it, or about Dr G. But I think you sometimes get your priorities, and your loyalties, back to front.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/19/03 at 13:41 (140348)

Julie, I certainly agree but here's something interesting. Upon doing a search I found that Dr. G has only posted 7 times. I've posted that much just this morning.

Carole C

Re: Be Nice.... ScottR

Dr. G on 12/19/03 at 14:42 (140353)

ScottR:
Let me first congratulate you on creating a wonderful site. It is a unique accomplishment.

There is a wealth of information here. The chat boards have 3 groups of people. First, those in pain ,in need of advice. Doctors and heel pain sufferers doing their best to help those in need. Your third group appears to be a small bunch of individuals who hang out here, are very possessive of the site and act very mean spirited to anyone who appears to cross their path. Some, in that 3rd group seem to have a legitimate interest in helping people. Others, I really am not sure what their motives are.

I came on to post, to set the record straight on misinformation that Pauline had given to Quincy. There was an almost immediate onslaught from several posters concerning everything from the credibility of my credentials to whom they imagine I could be. I have never encountered anything like this before. Julie, above, simply lists the non-kindly responses I had. How about listing all of the things that I had to go up against?

Thank you Scott, very much for your response. It is greatly appreciated. I also feel better knowing that the person running the site is fair and decent.

It would be great for you, Scott, to have more regular professionals posting here. I am sorry but I am retired and travel a lot and don't want another 'job.' I would like to visit from time to time and know that a few pit bulls on this site aren't waiting to attack. I would hope that those individuals could give other newcomers a warmer reception. Looking back a bit here, I don't think I am the only person they were mean to here. Anyone with a lot of knowledge will present themselves with a modicum of authority and perhaps that turns some people off here. But, you just can't have it both ways as a person with well formulated opinions will usually will not be passive.

As far as the 'doctor' title, I stopped using that in daily life when I retired and really don't need to use it online. I will wait for Scott's advice on that. I can understand the reasoning behind the need to check on credentials but it seemed like it only became an issue when I got one of the pitbulls here riled up.

Best regards,
Dr. G or just G, if you prefer

W Paine on 12/19/03 at 14:59 (140355)

I say ban him now to maintain the fragile balance of egos

nancy s. on 12/19/03 at 21:43 (140387)

. . . and . . .?

Carole C in NOLA on 12/19/03 at 21:57 (140390)

Well, maybe he will just go away? I dunno. Anybody who causes such a ruckus with 7 posts (now 8) probably did not have sterling intentions to begin with.

Carole C

nancy s. on 12/19/03 at 22:07 (140392)

ok, gotcha. thanks, carole . . . goodnight, and i'm glad for you on your 'frank' news!

best from nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 12/19/03 at 22:20 (140395)

Good night, Nancy! I am going to be 'Frank-ly' happy Sunday morning, that's for sure. :)

Carole C

Re: contest

Henry J. on 12/20/03 at 16:00 (140440)

Carole:

Is there a contest here to see how fast we can chase off new posters? If you think you can do it in 7 or 8, I bet I can chase off the next new poster off after 5 or 6 posts.

By the way, the last poster did not cause a ruckus. The ruckus was caused by those that tried to chase him off.

Henry J.

Re: Equal time to be mean and nasty -- How come my post gets removed but others can be as mean and nasty as they want (ie. KKK Carole) and there posts stay?

Henry J. on 12/20/03 at 18:16 (140444)

Equal time to be mean.
Henry

Re: Let's talk feet

Christine P. on 12/21/03 at 07:34 (140462)

I think this site is wonderful I have gotten so much information. Let's get back to talking about feet... no need for this childish stuff... what a waste of good energy... so question... what has been anyones experience with reflexology or just foot massage?

Re: Let's talk feet

marie on 12/21/03 at 15:22 (140492)

This probably belongs on the treatment board.......my experience with foot massage and calf massage was very useful while in recovery.