Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by john h on 12/19/03 at 10:28 (140322)

Last week a 73 year old man dead lifted 501 lbs. He is going for 550 lbs this month. Very few people can lift their own weight.

Re: Age

Suzanne D. on 12/19/03 at 10:52 (140324)

Wow! And I do well to lift a first grader if they fall down! :)

Our teachers did just soundly beat the 4th/5th graders in basketball after our Christmas sing-a-long in the gym. (Of course I didn't play, but I was happy to watch!) One of the children said, 'I don't know but I think the teachers cheated. If think it's probably not fair because they're so much bigger!'

To which someone replied, 'But they're old and stiff, so I guess that evens it out'! :)

I'd better finish my lunch here and get ready for the big party! :D

Suzanne :)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/19/03 at 11:07 (140325)

I wonder if weight lifters who lift huge amounts like that customarily wear orthotics?

I have seen on TV that they wear supportive belts on their lower abdomen which I suppose are worn to prevent hernias.

For a middle aged woman, I'm pretty good at lifting weights of around 50 pounds or more. It seems easy. Easy to do or not, unfortunately I often forget that I'm older and misjudge where I should draw the line. If I lift more than 30 pounds or so, afterwards I can end up with knee pain, PF pain, or very minor lower back pain.

Frank can deadlift about twice his own weight and used to deadlift more when he was younger. He's small, but very strong. :)

Carole C

Richard, C.Ped on 12/19/03 at 12:14 (140334)

We do see quite a few bodybuilders who say the orthotics work well for them. Just a quick FYI :)

Rick R on 12/19/03 at 12:35 (140337)

Carole,

The belts are for the back and make a huge difference.

Rick

Carole C in NOLA on 12/19/03 at 12:40 (140338)

Oh! I didn't realize that. It does sound like a great idea.

Come to think of it, the movers that moved my things from my apartment to my house last year wore those belts too, and probably for the same reason.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/19/03 at 12:42 (140339)

Thanks, Richard!

I think it's a great idea for weight lifters to wear orthotics, even if they haven't had PF, just for support and preventative reasons. 500 pounds is a lot more than most peoples' feet are used to normally.

Carole C

Rick R on 12/19/03 at 12:47 (140340)

I still have mine and use it even just to pick up my tool box, unless my baby girl is around, then I let her take care of it. Actually, my back is finally making some progress, I don't think I'll be dead lifting over 500 lbs for a while though!

Rick

Carole C in NOLA on 12/19/03 at 13:10 (140343)

Glad to hear that your back is improving! I have only really 'thrown out' my back once in my life, but that once gave me worlds of empathy and sympathy for those with back problems. I was shocked at how much it hurts.

The minor back pain that is more usual for me when I lift things is just sore muscles that aren't used to it.

I sling around my large heavy metal tool box with ease, but for anything much heavier I use the dollie that I bought at Home Depot. It was only $30 but has really helped me in the adventure of living alone at my age. After chopping down my many banana trees, I even used it to cart the logs out to the street for trash pickup. Looks wimpy, but it sure helps me and then I can do more.

Carole C

Dorothy on 12/19/03 at 13:37 (140347)

Or, as my husband likes to say, 'I'm stronger than I look.' :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/19/03 at 13:42 (140349)

LOL!! Exactly, Dorothy. :)

Carole C

Ron B on 12/19/03 at 17:26 (140367)

Dorothy
I like to say to my wife : 'How strong do you think I am'??? I can't push that lawn mower through that tall grass, get your son to do it :O)
You know one thing I've noticed ?? 50 lbs weights more now than it did 10 yrs. ago!!! have a nice weekend everyone!!!
Ron B

marie on 12/19/03 at 20:34 (140380)

I'm happy if I can lift 15 lbs. It's amazing what some people can do past 70 years of age. I'm impressed!

marie