Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ankle sprain

Posted by Lee on 12/21/03 at 20:18 (140511)

I have third degree ankle sprain.The fiberglass cast was removed a few days ago.Now i have to wear an air castfor 2-4 months.My podiatrist examined me thorouly. I am in pain, and ankle is swollen. Is this normal?I am not having a good holiday.I have been sitting on my butt since aug when I heard my foot surgery.I cannot beleive this happened. Happy Holidays....Lee

Re: ankle sprain

Pauline on 12/22/03 at 16:06 (140593)

Hi Lee,
I'm not a doctor, but if I were you I'd ask for repeat xrays and an MRI if your doctor has not already repeated them to see if anything new can be determined.

If a small fracture or crack was missed it may show more clearly the second time round as the area begins to heal.

You can read about third degree sprains on the internet. Most articles like the one I'm including say this injury takes a long time to heal.
'For third degree sprains , the ankle may need to be placed in a cast for several months, followed by a long period of rehabilitation'. Some I guess can even require surgery that's why you should work closely with your doctor and keep the lines of communication open. Make sure he knows your concerns.

If you and your doctor have tried everything and you still feel like you're not making any progress a second opinion may be in order.

I hope you're back on your foot real soon.

Re: ankle sprain

Dr. Z on 12/22/03 at 17:44 (140608)

Pauline has given you excellent advice. An mri will show the ligaments, joint surfaces and any tendon tears including small fracture. It this is normal then physical therapy could help you alot. Good luck