Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Changes that have worked for me

Posted by Nigel on 12/22/03 at 09:02 (140537)

I've been reading these boards a lot lately and have picked up some great tips and had some success that I would like to share.
* Taping. My Physio taped my foot 3 or 4 times in the first month or two of me developing PF - with no success. I've tried again myself after 5 months of PF, using Scott's pictures and videos and I'm pleased to report that it works! I think that when the physio tried my foot was so sore that nothing except rest would have helped. Now that it has settled down a bit the taping does help. (Leuko tape is the best)
* Strassburg Sock with my 'Nice Stretch night splint. As per Bobs advise I've tried a Strassburg sock with my Night splint and it works much better. I was not getting any calf stretch with just the nice splint, but with the Strassburg sock in combination I can adjust it to my liking. Thanks Bob.
* Yoga Stretches these are just awesome. When I first read about them I was not sure they were enough, but now I'm convinced that they are just the right level of stretching and exercise for my feet in combination with my other treatment. Give them a go!
* Hot water after icing - I dunk my feet in hot water after icing. They were staying cold for hours afterwards. The hot water brings them back to room temperature and they feel much better.

Thank you all for your advise. I think it is the detail of treating this condition that makes the biggest difference and the best people to talk through the detail with are fellow sufferers. Most health professionals can tell you what to do e.g. stretch and wear a night splint, but it is fellow sufferers that can tell you exactly how to stretch and how to wear a night splint, etc. and it is getting these details right that will help us all to heel.

Merry Christmas to you all.. Nigel.

Re: Changes that have worked for me

rsk on 12/23/03 at 18:16 (140700)

I am glad that things are working out for you. I also use the nite splint but without that sock you mentioned.Not sure which one this is. can you pls give some more details of this sock , may be some url.

Re: Changes that have worked for me

Nigel on 12/24/03 at 14:43 (140762)

Check it out at http://www.thesock.com
You are meant to wear it by itself, but I find that this pulls my toes back too aggressively. The night splint by itself does not stretch my calves enough, but together they work well.
Good luck, I'm sure it's different for everyone.