Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

EPF Recovery Time

Posted by Charles G on 12/23/03 at 18:19 (140701)

Had EPF 10/6. Was told by Doc 4- 8 weeks recovery. Still having problems, 2 in particular:
Numbness in the pad of my foot.
Extreme soreness and tenderness just in front of the heel in a band between the incision points.

I am concerned. Can anyone tell me a 'true' recovery time. Went to the Doc over a month ago and she released me and said it would get better. I did return to work after 8 days and spend 4-6 hours on my feet. Right now I am worse off than before surgery. Can anyone let me know of their recovery and what I should expect? Right now I feel as if I have made a mistake.

Thanks
Charles

Re: EPF Recovery Time

april l on 12/23/03 at 20:58 (140712)

It took over a year to recover from my first EPF. I also thought it was a mistake, but I am totally pain free now. Had another EPF on my other foot 4 months ago. It hurts worse than before surgery. I'm being patient since I remember the long, gradual recovery.

Joe B. on 12/24/03 at 10:33 (140747)

Charles:

I had my EPF almost a year ago, on 1/15/03. For a long while I thought ut was the biggest mistake I ever made. I don't any more, but I am far from pain free, and probably never will be. For months I had nerve pain shooting up the outside of my foot, to my pinky toe. I went to a neurologist who told me nerve trauma from surgery should go away in time, it could take a year. Mine took about 9 months. I still have pain from tightness in the PF all the time, and still wear a night splint to bed to lessen first step pain. A recent X-Ray showed my spur, which was removed during my surgery is starting to grow back. I am finally in less pain than I was before the surgery, but it has not been the 'cure' I hoped. My POD changed my orthotics from rigid to more flexible, and it has helped some. I assume this is how it is going to be.

So my advice is to be patient, some things take time to heal and in a few months you'll have an accurate impression of how much improvement you will eventually see. You'll know you took your best shot, and what happens, happens.

Good Luck, and keep us posted.

Joe

Bud P on 12/25/03 at 08:13 (140779)

Charles,
I was told it could take up to a year. I am 6 weeks post op. and my PG pain has been gone for 3 days. The major PF pain has been gone since the EPF surgery. I am pratying that my PF is gone for good. I'm extremely happy at this point that I had the surgery.

Bud

BrianG on 12/25/03 at 12:29 (140786)

Hi Charles,

My EPF surgery took about 6 months to heal, and it was a failure. It hurt like hell for the first month, then gradually returned to where I was before the surgery. Bud P seems to be 'the poster boy' for successful EPF's. I think he must be a 'plant' by the foot and ankle surgeons, hahahahahahaaa. No, not really.

Regards,
BrianG

Re: EPF Recovery Time for BrianG

Bud P on 12/26/03 at 08:16 (140795)

Brian,
I'm not the poster boy. But I am one of the lucky ones so far. Today is day 5 pain free. I'm still praying.

Re: EPF Recovery Time for BrianG

april l on 12/26/03 at 11:32 (140799)

I am glad you are 5 days pain free. But don't be surprised if the pain comes back. I was pain free for about 4 days and then it came back. Some days i think i'm doing great and other days it hurts really bad. It is confusing. But i'm hopeful that eventually i will be totally pain free, like with my other foot. My right foot is 100% pain free 5 yrs. post EPF.

Re: EPF Recovery Time To April

Bud P on 12/26/03 at 21:21 (140809)

April,
I've been pretty much PF pain free since the surgery. The last 5 days there has been no pain. Just like before the problems started. I almost forget what it's like to walk normal.

Bud

Charles G on 12/31/03 at 16:42 (141019)

Joe,

Thanks for the response. I no longer have the pain in the heel but now have it in my arch. Some days it is a discomfort and some days it is a hindrance. Be interested to know what your POD told you. I have been told to use electrical stimulation 2 times a day and a set of 3 exercises 3 times a day. That's it??!! Nothing about wearing my orthotics (which didn't work before surgery) or any advice on how much time I should spend on/off my foot. Anything you could tell me on advice you received from your POD would be appreciated. I am disappointed in mine.

Thanks
Charles

Joe B. on 12/31/03 at 21:07 (141031)

Charles:

Your pain sounds similar to mine. Since my surgery, I no longer have pain in the heel, it is over the entire arch, like my PF is too short and being stretched with each step. Like you, some days are worse than others but only the worst ones are as bad as the days before the surgery. Overall, it is slightly better.

Re: my POD, I was not getting any answers from him. Every concern I gave him was responded to with a runaround. So I split from him and found another one. The new one is the one that changed my orthotics and guiuded me through the nerve pain issue, which is now resolved. He told me to always wear the orthotics, because the molded support to the PF is critical to not re-injuring it.My advise would be if you are disenchanted with your POD, fire him and find another. On your consultation tell him exactly how you got where you are, and what you are feeling. His objectivity from not having peformed the surgery might be helpful.

The surgery carries no guarantees, so like I preached in the first post, be patient and soon you will see how good it is going to get.

One thing I learned from reading up is be careful of the stretching excersizes. Stretching a tight ligament could only hurt it more.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Best,

Joe

stevel on 1/08/04 at 13:03 (141641)

Joe,
I had an EPF done 4 1/2 months ago. It is amazing how I am experiencing the same nerve symptoms you did. I have electrical sensations along the outside of my foot to my little toe and the base of my little toe is numb, after walking or standing awhile it feels like there is a lump under the base of that toe. I have had two EMG studies which were inconclusive but suggested tarsal tunnel syndrome. Hard for me to believe since the pain started about a month after surgery. My doctor gave my 2 injections of cortisone in hopes to relieve any post op swelling possibly causing problem. Nothing has worked. Did you get any treatment for this or did it just go away by itself? Any additional info would be great
Thanks
Steve

Joe B. on 1/08/04 at 13:12 (141642)

Steve:

This does sound similar. The only difference is that instead of feeling
like I had a lump under my little toe like you do, I had a feeling along the length of the outside of my foot that was like walking with a rolled up sock in my shoe.

The good news for me was as the neurologist said: If the tests show no neurological damage, it is probably nerve trauma from the surgery which will heal in time. It took about 9 months for it to go away, but it eventually did. Hopefully, yours will too.

I still consider my surgery less than successful, the PF pain is still there, although more manageable.

Good luck.

Joe