Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

RICHARD CPED WHAT CAN YOU DO THAT A PODITRIAT CAN'T?

Posted by WITTEN on 12/23/03 at 18:42 (140702)

I WAS WONDERING HOW A C PEDORTHIST CAN PROVIDE THAT A PODIATRIST CANNOT? PODITRIST OFFER CUSTOME MADE ORTHOTICS WHAT DO YOU DO? THANK YOU RICHARD

Re: RICHARD CPED WHAT CAN YOU DO THAT A PODITRIAT CAN'T?

Richard, C.Ped on 12/24/03 at 11:19 (140751)

The podiatrists in our area take a cast of your foot and send them off to a lab somewhere...perhaps California. I have heard people say that it took two to six weeks to receive their orthosis. the orthosis is usually made out of very hard plastic and may or may not have a thin layer of cushion. some like to put leather on the top which is not cushion. Most of the ones I have seen did not even fit the foot correctly and had a very low heel cup..if any.

I use a material called EVA...a type of rubber. it comes in different durometers which measures how soft or hard it is. Some podiatrists think it does not make a good functional orthosis...but I disagree. I will make a hard plastic if necessary. The hard plastic takes more time to get used to than the EVA. When I do make it...I put three layers of cushion on top.

I take the impression of the foot and do all the dirty work here. I have the orthosis ready in about an hour. some I dispense the same day, others the next day. When you are hurting, you need relief yesterday.
Richard

Re: There's definitely a niche that C.Peds fill quite nicely!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/24/03 at 11:58 (140755)

My C.Ped walks on water, or very nearly so, in my opinion. Like you, Richard, she made custom orthotics right there in her shop and I wore them home that very day.

Also, making custom orthotics is quite an art and she has years and years of doing little else all day every day. She put a lot of effort and the benefit of all of those years of experience into getting it right. She had considerable training, too, but told me that most of what she knows came from experience over so many years. When she was just starting out, she worked with more experienced C.Peds and learned a lot.

I wouldn't expect most podiatrists to have that much experience just in making custom orthotics, since they are qualified to do so many different things in their practice. I would go to a podiatrist for many things, but I'd always prefer my orthotics to be made by my C.Ped.

I'm not Richard, but I have never been shy about posting what I think. :)

Carole C

Andy O on 12/25/03 at 04:59 (140776)

How can I find a certified C.Ped in my town?

Richard, C.Ped on 12/26/03 at 07:59 (140792)

go to this site and type in your city and zip code. That should direct you to any c.Ped near by.
http://www.pedorthics.org/framed11.html

Re: richard do you go to college to become a cped??

WITTEN on 12/26/03 at 12:03 (140800)

how many years of training does one need to become a cped and what is the income like? thnks richard.

Re: richard do you go to college to become a cped??

Richard, C.Ped on 12/27/03 at 10:32 (140813)

Right now, it is a shorter course than it really needs to be. I am a strong believer that a pedorthist should be licenced to do what we do. The income depends on the facility you work for.