Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Handicapped Parking?????

Posted by Rose on 12/29/03 at 00:57 (140836)

I was not allowed to have a handicapped sticker for my car after I had surgery on both feet. I spent several months in a wheel chair and then crutches and everything else. It has been almost 6 months and it is still hard for me to walk far. I still need the chair if I am to go walking for say more than an hour.Sometimes I am completely wiped out by the time I get to the store, but not always. I was wondering if any of you were allowed handicapped parking or if you had trouble getting it.

Re: Handicapped Parking?????

Carole C in NOLA on 12/29/03 at 02:38 (140838)

Rose, this may vary from state to state or from country to country but generally it is not very hard at all. I think that under the circumstances, you should have a temporary handicapped designation for your car.

If your doctor refuses to give you one when you ask him for it, maybe you should explain to him how difficult and tiring it is for you and ask him how he expects for you to get from the car to a store. Take the form with you in case he does not have any there, and put it in front of him while you're explaining all of this. Couldn't do any harm to try again.

Carole C

Monarch on 12/29/03 at 18:05 (140874)

After TTS surgery I had NO trouble getting my doctor to write out a note to Motor Vehicles that I needed a temporary handicapped tag for my car. Ask your doctor again and again and again.

Kathy G on 12/30/03 at 13:44 (140944)

Rose,

The procedure for getting a handicapped placard differs from state to state. In my state, NH, I had to pick up a form from the DMV and drop it off at my primary care physicians office. From what I've seen on these boards, the person to go to for this is your PCP, not your surgeon or podiatrist. Have you called your PCP and asked him if he would do whatever is necessary to get you one?

Good luck. It can be a lifesaver for me and I've never even had surgery!

Barbara S on 12/30/03 at 16:02 (140963)

Rose

When I had my TTS surgery April,2001 my Pod filled out the forms for temporary disabled parking. He filled out a form at least three times.
When I saw him a couple months ago he filled out a form for a permanent disabled parking. (You guess right a failed surgery.) I live in Wisconsin.
If not your Pod try PCP. I could have gotten my from either one.

Good Luck
Barbara

Rose on 12/30/03 at 20:56 (140982)

Thanks everybody. I will see if my PCP will do it for me. Thanks again.

Pat D. on 12/31/03 at 20:47 (141026)

Rose,

I cannot believe your State did this to you!! Which State is it? Time to start writing to your representatives. I am in Washington State and had no problems. My Pod filled out the form and my husband took it and my driver's license into one of the licensing offices and we had it on the spot. Pod's office cautioned me to take it directly, not mail it, because that takes too long. They also said to stand over the agent and make sure it was punched for the correct number of months.

I have found that many people use the handicap spots who do not have the tag (especially around Christmas)and many stores do not have enough handicapped parking. When I mention this to a store they always take me very seriously. Although I have never cheated and parked in handicap places, I have a new appreciation for the folks who need them and a bitter loathing for the people who cheat.

Kathy G on 1/01/04 at 08:50 (141057)

Good for you, Pat! It has long been a pet peeve of mine when I see someone without the proper credentials parking in a handicapped space. If caught, one is supposed to get a ticket but let's face it, the police or the security guards at a mall are overworked as it is so people do get away with it.

One thing that really irritates me is all the shopping carts that get left in the handicapped spaces. I couldn't understand it but my husband pointed out that perhaps if a person is handicapped, they are unable to return their cart to the proper place and leave it in the space. One cart I can understand, but I frequently see four or five carts. I use my placard only on occasion but I feel badly for the handicapped person who would like to use the space and can't because it's filled with carts. When I see this, I always move the carts.

Kathy G on 1/01/04 at 08:53 (141058)

Good for you, Pat! It has long been a pet peeve of mine when I see someone without the proper credentials parking in a handicapped space. If caught, one is supposed to get a ticket but let's face it, the police or the security guards at a mall are overworked as it is so people do get away with it.

One thing that really irritates me is all the shopping carts that get left in the handicapped spaces. I couldn't understand it but my husband pointed out that perhaps if a person is handicapped, they are unable to return their cart to the proper place and leave it in the space. One cart I can understand, but I frequently see four or five carts. I use my placard only on occasion but I feel badly for the handicapped person who would like to use the space and can't because it's filled with carts. When I see this, I always move the carts.

In NH, where I live, the number of handicapped spaces is based on the square footage of the store, and the formula is set by each individual town. I'm on my town's Zoning Board of Adjustment but I can't remember how many it is per foot in our town and I'm too lazy to get my book and check! Since NH is backward, I suspect that in most states, it's determined by state statutes. That would make more sense to me.

Re: Sorry for the double posting! NM

Kathy G on 1/01/04 at 08:54 (141059)

NM

Rose on 1/01/04 at 14:06 (141071)

It is California. Probably KCiser in particular. They said they were asked to cut down on the number they give. I was in a wheel chair for two months and on crutches and never was able to get one. I am going to try again.

Pat D. on 1/01/04 at 21:09 (141096)

Sounds like you need to write directly to Arnold! I'm not kidding.

marie on 1/03/04 at 23:33 (141296)

No problem getting a handicap sticker. I asked my doctor and he gave me the form I needed for the dept. of motor vehicles. It's been very useful for those bad days.