Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel pain

Posted by Lynn W on 12/29/03 at 16:02 (140865)

After reading the information on the heel spurs, I don't think the pain I have is the same. I have pain in both my heels. It hurts more when I am barefoot especially after I get home at night and take off my shoes. I am not flat footed and have no obvious sores or abnormalities in my feet. I am a female, 52 years old and slightly overweight (20 lbs), I have not had foot problems until the past year. My job is in Territory Sales so I drive or am at a desk the majority of time. Should I see a podiatrist or is this an age thing?

Re: heel pain

Julie on 12/30/03 at 02:24 (140896)

You should certainly see a podiatrist. And don't go barefoot: whatever is the trouble with your feet (and if the pain is in your heels there is a good chance it is plantar fasciitis) they need the support of good shoes. all the time.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/30/03 at 09:25 (140906)

Definitely see a podiatrist and get a diagnosis, so that you know what you are dealing with.

Until your podiatrist can see you, here are some things that you can do which won't cause you any harm and will help if you do have PF (plantar fasciitis, heel spurs, etc).

Don't stand or walk barefoot just in case it's PF.

Rest your feet as much as you can.

Try *gentle* stretching, such as Julie's Yoga stretches (click on Yoga for a description).

When you get home at night and your feels hurt, try icing them by placing your foot on a bag of frozen peas. They will conform to the shape of your foot, and I think they are slightly colder and more effective than a gel pack.

You can have PF with high arches (I do), and weight doesn't seem to be a factor for many of us.

In my opinion (which is not shared by many, I think), PF *IS* an age thing. Many of the people posting here are women in their early 50's, at any rate. Whether or not it's an age thing, PF pain can become very severe if neglected and it's something that you don't have to suffer with no matter what your age.

Keep reading this website and make that appointment with a podiatrist.

Carole C

Kathy L on 12/31/03 at 20:33 (141023)

I got PF late in 2002. In my career I worked at a desk. Most of the information at this web site pointed to stress things causing PF... running, injury, overweight... and I couldn't find things which paralleled the most likely causes. I'm 51 and a bit overweight, but a podiatrist said he didn't I was enough overweight to be the 'cause'. Many lunch times I was walking a mile a day until my heel pain began to slow me down. He couldn't give me a 'cause'.
I believe my problem was related to the sciatic nerve which runs from you backbone down to your toes. I sat on a hard desk where my legs hung off most of the time, placing pressure on the back of my leg above the knee. After years of doing this, I found myself adjusting my sitting position all the time to be comfortable… unconsciously. My heel pain started then too, and when I'd get up from my desk, I could barely walk. I did find info on this web site about too sedentary of a job (sitting) could lead to atrophy of the health of the feet. I believe this to be true.
No doctor would connect my sciatic nerve theory to my feet, but I believe many body systems work together. The body needs good circulation, good nutrition, a healthy nervous system, healthy ligaments, etc., and each system supports each other.
After 6 months of having PF, I accidently started something which led to my cure. I had unrelated, upper body surgery, and my surgeon put me on two weeks of several supplements. The end story, is I discovered the supplements helped me heal and my PF went away. One day I was telling my daughter how better my foot was, that I could stand tip toe on the one foot, she pointed out that I had just been taking the supplements for 2 weeks, and the light bulb went off.
In August, I started posting on this board about the supplements I was taking. I now credit a couple supplements to my cure… MSM, Vit. C, and Coenzyme Q-10. If you do a search on MSM and Coenzyme Q-10, you'll find my early posts. Today, I feel I'm completely cured.
My two cents are: you are what you eat. Your body can only heal itself naturally with proper nutrition. Stretching, icing, cortizone shots, night splints, rest… these all are supportive mechanisms… but if your body doesn't have the right nutrients… it won't heal. I'm no scientist, I'm not a doctor and I couldn't do blind testing of each supplement I took to pinpoint which one helped, but I think I can point to those above. I asked others to try these supplements, and now some others have posted results, and I was so excited to hear their stories. I'm glad it has helped some and may help others.

Dorothy on 1/01/04 at 02:54 (141040)

I always like how you think, Kathy! I am currently exploring Feldenkrais methods for sciatica. As I agree with your point of view about body systems, healing, etc., I wonder if you have ever looked into this?

Kathy L on 1/01/04 at 15:04 (141072)

No I hadn't. But I appreciate you mentioning it because now I have something new to look into.

sybil s on 1/02/04 at 00:57 (141110)

case of plantar fasclitis: how common is extreme
foot swelling?

Kathy L on 1/02/04 at 09:58 (141143)

Sybil, you might want to post this as a new message for others. I've no knowledge relating to extreme swelling with PF. If you don't think it is something broken or a sprain, I'd suggest proping your feet up at various times of the day, and also using ice to help reduce the swelling.