Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

5wks & still in sever pain

Posted by Ashley on 12/29/03 at 16:39 (140866)

I fell after missing the curb in a parking garage 5wks ago and hurt my ankle pretty bad. It swelled up right away and I was in awful pain. I don't cry much but I was close to tears for 3 days then finally saw the dr. He was rude and in a rush. He told me just to walk on it after taking an x-ray and said it wasn't broken. I told him in tears that I was in such pain and it hurt. He finally gave me crutchs and pain pills. The pills were so strong they made me throw up. I used the crutchs for awhile then tried to walk yet it still hurt so bad. I feel like pins and needles going up my leg. I was able to walk for a bit with just one crutch and for a day or two I walked without a crutch but still limped. The day of Christmas my ankle swelled up again and I was in awful pain. I am now back on the crutchs. At night my foot feels like it is in a bucket of ice. I try to walk but I get tingling up my leg. My ankle it very tender to the touch. I have pain up the back of my foot and on the sides where the tendons are. I have pain up to my knee sometimes. If I don't keep my ankle proped up blood rushes to it and it turns all red and swells a bit. Then it is throbbing. I have now put an air cast on it which I got years ago when I hurt it.

I have 3 kids and I homeschool. I have been unable to care for them and the house! I try my best to walk on it but like I said it hurts so bad.

Can anyone help me? Please e-mail me personally at: (email removed)

Re: 5wks & still in sever pain

PAUL P. on 12/29/03 at 17:23 (140870)

get an xray or mri

BrianJ on 12/29/03 at 19:06 (140885)

Ashley --

I'm sorry you're in so much pain. I'm not a doctor, but I suggest you remember the basics:

1. If you don't have confidence in your current doctor, find another.

2. In the meantime, rest your foot, dunk it in icewater for 15 minutes twice a day, elevate it whenever possible, and wear a compression wrap (such as an Ace bandage).

Good luck to you.

Julie on 12/30/03 at 02:21 (140895)

I am surprised by your doctor's unsympathetic reaction. From your description it sounds like a very bad sprain. If you have torn ligaments it can be worse than a fracture and take longer to heal. See another doctor as soon as possible, and meanwhile follow Brian J's good advice: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/30/03 at 09:33 (140907)

Brians advice is absolutely terrific. Please, do all of those things!

Also, I'd strongly urge you to see another doctor. I didn't do that when I badly injured my knees a few years back and got the same response from a doctor. Now, I wish that I had.

The cost of a doctor appointment now seems trivial compared with the knee pain I've suffered ever since, not to mention the lessened mobility, weight gain, and so on.

Carole C