Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS and PT - anyone have success?

Posted by Debbie D. on 12/30/03 at 08:28 (140902)

I stumbled into this site yesterday, looking for info on TTS surgery and recovery, as my doctor is not yet sure that I don't need the surgical treatment. I have had textbook classic bilateral TTS for 18 months. It was caused by a medication that caused fluid retention. At times the pain has been so severe that I could not work. I was given neurontin at the beginning of therapy in October and was only on 200mg 3 times a day and got pain relief. I went off the neurontin at Thanksgiving. I am currently in physical therapy and the treatment is going into it's 4th month. They started out with iontophoresis, (which actually worked for me and apparently doesn't work for everyone), joint mobes and soft tissue massage. I am now having ultrasound therapy, joint mobes, soft tissue massage and e-stim with ice. My question is I have another month of PT to go and then I'm going to be released with orthotics. I still have the burning sensation in my toes and the balls of my feet, but more recently in the arch of my feet. On a scale of 1-10, the pain is a 4, where as before it was off the scale! Will the pain continue, even though the therapist (shes got a doctorate in PT!) says that she belives the nerve is no longer trapped? I still have fluid in the ankle region and more specifically in my arch area, which is what I believe is causing the burning sensations I still feel, and that is the area my therapist is concentrating on. My feet are about 75% better than when I started the PT, and lately I've had more 'good' days than bad, to the point where I am starting to feel guilty about using a handicap parking permit, but the doctor says to keep using it. Surgery has been mentioned, but I hope that this can be arrested with the therapy. Has anyone been successfully 'cured' with physical therapy? I'd like to hear of other experiences with physical therapy for TTS.
Debbie

Re: TTS and PT - anyone have success?

LARA on 12/30/03 at 13:19 (140935)

Have you tried compresion socks. They work wonders for me, and I've noticed a relationship between water retention & symptoms (they're worse when I have soup or heavily salted foods) so I wonder if they would help?

As for PT, I think that exercises that require my foot to be placed at an angle less than 90 degrees (like in a lunge) helps some. I discovered this while doing exercises for recovery from knee surgery.

marie on 12/30/03 at 14:11 (140955)

I had PT and found massage to be the most effective for me. My hubby continued massage long after my pt. I use compression socks occasionally and wear men's support socks daily. Always confer with your doctor....I've never heard of TTS going away and pain remaining. That just doesn't sound right.

Give it a little more time.

best wishes marie

Debbie D. on 12/30/03 at 14:12 (140956)

I've got the compression socks made by TED, 3 pair actually. They work great, but I'm not wearing them as much now since most of the fluid is gone. I do wear them when it is anticipated that I might be on my feet longer than need be, and honestly, they feel so wonderful, like a massage. The downside is that all of my pants, except for jeans, ride up when I'm wearing them. The one thing I look forward to is therapy and ICE!

Have you had PT for TTS? Did it work? I guess I'm trying to figure out if PT is going to be my cure, as I am hoping I'm not facing the knife. My doctor started mentioning surgery from the get-go, and now she's not so sure, because of the tremendous progress my feet have made. I guess I'll find out at the end of next month. I didn't get my Christmas present (both feet back) but I believe I might be close.

Debbie D. on 12/30/03 at 14:23 (140958)

Thanks for your response Marie. I do have 3 pair of the compression socks and I have been taught some joint mobes and massage techniques by my physical therapist. I haven't been wearing the socks as much, as the fluid is not as prevalent as it was when this all started. My doctor said it could be months before the pain is completely gone, as the nerve has to respond from the prolonged entrapment. I guess that could be the pain I'm feeling now. I have another therapy session tomorrow and I'm going to bring up this pain I've had for the past several days. I'm pretty sure that it's related to a small pocket of fluid on the bottom of my foot at the arch, as we've been addressing that area for the past few sessions. I'm at the point where I actually look forward to therapy because I know when I walk out of there that I will feel better than I did when I walked in.

So are you pain free thanks to PT, or have you had the surgery? I'm curious to know and how long were you in PT?

marie on 12/30/03 at 20:05 (140978)

I am completely pain free. It was months after PT, medication and vitamins that got me to this point. PT got me started but I had to continue with massage and stretches on my own. Actually several months after PT I had a major flare up that put me in a wheel chair. I did not go back to PT but chose to massage and ice daily at home. I slowly built my strength up and the vitamins seemed to boost improvement. I take neurontin and elavil. I take glucosamine, msm, magnesium and C daily. I did not have surgery. I hope I never get as bad as I was just a year ago.

It takes a long time to recover from tts. Everyone is different. It sounds like you're on the right track. Don't give up yet. It's to soon.

Terry D. on 12/30/03 at 21:14 (140984)

Debbie,
I too had pt much the same as you ( same procedures) pt never helped me one bit as I had a ganglion cyst which grew around my nerves. So it depends what is causing the tts. If you are responding stick with it.
Terry

Debbie D. on 12/31/03 at 07:12 (140989)

Oh my gosh! There is hope! I just needed to know if there are some who have recovered via PT route. It is so encouraging to hear a success story. I am one of those who believes in the power of positive thinking, so I am thinking that I will not have the surgery, I am trying to prevent it. I am not on the neurontin any more. Are you sure that you don't have pain? Neurontin is a nerve blocker, and you could have pain but not know it due to the effects of neurontin. I'm trying to get out of this situation pain-free and medication free! Here's to an 'almost' pain free New Year!

marie on 12/31/03 at 10:56 (141005)

I hope to be off the Neurontin at some point in time. I am looking to be off by next summer....but am in no hurry. I have come to realize that this takes time, lots and lots of it.

Janel K on 1/30/04 at 09:08 (143229)

I had TarsalTunnel surgery twice and this last time my incision wouldn't close so I had to have surgery to close the incision. I've been dealing with this for 4 years, did the PT, excercise, othotics, cast but nothing did it. I don't think I'll ever walk again good. I'll be trying orthotics again once I get walking again somewhat, I was off my feet for 5 months so everything's very stiff.