Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Vacuum Cleaners HELP !!

Posted by Necee on 12/30/03 at 13:09 (140934)

My vacuum cleaner died yesterday as I was trying to clean my house.
I'll be shopping for a new one, and need some help as to which kind to buy.
I'd appreciate ya'll giving me some feedback on the kind of vacuum cleaner ya'll have, and what you would suggest.
Thanks.
Necee

Re: Vacuum Cleaners HELP !!

Carole C in NOLA on 12/30/03 at 13:22 (140937)

I have the Hoover Windtunnel, and it has great suction. It's a lot better than the 30 year old Hoover that I had before that one. Hoovers last a LONG time.

I sort of wish I had got the bagless one this time, but I didn't.

Carole C

marie on 12/30/03 at 13:43 (140943)

I like hoover vaccum cleaners. I got a roomba (robotic vaccum cleaner) that I like as well. It's fun.

Carole C in NOLA on 12/30/03 at 13:46 (140945)

This is the one I have, the Wind Tunnel 'Plus':

http://www.hoover.com/db/xq/asp.hvrProductMain/CatID.1/SubID.5/ProdID.140/ModID.838/qx/U5435900.htm

I chose this model because it is one of the more economical Wind Tunnels. It is NOT bagless, and it is NOT self-propelled, but those options are available on other models of Wind Tunnel if you like them and want to pay for them.

One thing I really like is that mine has a 'spotlight' that helps me to see little bits of crud on the floor in front of the vacuum. It also has lots of attachments and a hose, so I can use it to clean out the car and so on.

Carole C

Aly on 12/30/03 at 14:04 (140949)

Is the roomba one of those disc-looking vacuums that came out recently, that you just put on the floor and it does its thing? I was wondering...how much does it pick up, with no bag and being so small? I'd really like to get one, but was waiting till I heard some reviews of it.

Does it clean well? Miss any spots? Any complaints?

Thanks! :)
This is such a great place to get all sorts of info!

Kathy G on 12/30/03 at 14:05 (140951)

I have back problems and wouldn't be without an Oreck. They weigh very little and clean quite well. They usually come with a small but very powerful cannister vacuum and I use that every couple of months to do the edges of the carpeting that the upright doesn't really reach.

Yesterday must have been a bad day for appliances. My microwave just up and died with no warning. If it's the magnetron, it's still covered by warranty but the repairman has yet to call me back. Lord, I have to cook my vegetables the old fashioned way! Not to mention the countless other things I use it for!

One thing on the vacuum to consider is whether you really want a bagless one. Obviously, someone like me with allergies wouldn't and I remember Consumer Reports didn't like the bagless models because they thought they were messy. Have you checked CR? They are a good guide as to what look for in a vacuum. As I remember, they loved the one that Carole has.

Richard, C.Ped on 12/30/03 at 14:10 (140954)

My wife and I love the Oreck. Very light weight and easy to use.

My daughter loves to use the vacuum...we got her a battery operated Dirt Devil for children for Christmas. She vacuums every day..haha.

Suzanne D. on 12/30/03 at 14:24 (140959)

Richard, that's cute...It also made me think of a picture I have of one of my daughters when she was about 3, standing on a stool beside me in her apron which I made to match mine, both of us stirring cookie dough. She couldn't wait to be tall enough to help me do dishes because it looked like so much fun!

Of course, you guessed it, when they are old enough to really do housework, they usually don't think it's nearly so much fun! ;)

As for vacuum cleaners, I have an old, rather heavy Kirby. The biggest problem I have with it is not using it often enough! :)

Suzanne :)

Carole C in NOLA on 12/30/03 at 16:37 (140965)

Kathy, you are sharp! I bought mine because it was very highly rated by Consumer Reports a couple of years ago when I bought it.

I didn't know that bagless vacuums are hard on allergic people. Maybe it's just as well that I didn't buy one. I just grumble a lot when I have to spend money on vacuum cleaner bags, when I'd rather spend it on something more glamorous.

By the way, speaking of your microwave, thank your lucky stars that at least you don't have mine. It's about 20 years old and it won't break. I am beginning to feel uncomfortable about having one that old from a safety standpoint. Besides, it's HUGE. I got it the year before they invented microwaves with revolving turntables (yes, it's THAT old) and it's gigantic. I'd really rather have one of those cute little ones they sell now, that take less counter space. But I can't see just putting a perfectly good (? maybe?) microwave out in the trash.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 12/30/03 at 16:38 (140966)

Send her over to my house, Richard! LOL

Carole

Carole C in NOLA on 12/30/03 at 16:46 (140968)

LOL! Suzanne, that's the biggest problem I have with mine, too, coincidentally! I need one that will tell me that it needs to be used. To me, the ideal vacuum is one that will suck up the huge quantities of crud that have accumulated by the time that I get it out and use it. :)

Carole C

marie on 12/30/03 at 19:37 (140975)

It's way cool! It has a bumper that signals it to turn when it hits a wall or furniture. It has an invisible wall that you can set so it doesn't fall down the stairs. It does a very good job...but you should still vaccum with a beater brush vaccum once a week. I like the roomba because I can turn it on when I get home from school and by the time I hit the sofa to watch the news my room looks great.

It does vaccum in a random pattern but I haven't noticed that it's missed anything. I like it! It's fun! I just have to figure out how to get it to tear off my hubby's pants like it does in the commercial. LOL.