Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cats and vacuum cleaners

Posted by Ron B on 12/31/03 at 01:45 (140987)

First about vacuums. I took my hoover in for a tune up and the repair man told me I had a GOOD vacuum, BUT the best vacuum on the market is the 'Dyson' he doesn't have a franchise to sell the dyson. but he said he was going to buy one for himself. He said it is the ONLY one on the market that doesn't lose power (suction) when it is sucking up dirt. it is great for animal hair. check them out on the web..!!
Ok now about cats. I hate cats (sorry) we have a nine yr. old calaco and she is MEANER than my German Shepherd she hisses at anyone that comes in the house. and she doesn't listen worth a darn!!!!!!!! MY GSD obeys first time ever time. she is laying beside me now. who knows were the darn cat is??? I trim the cats claws myself about every two weeks. you can get pet clippers for under $10.00.
HEY Dorthy whats wrong with Rottweilers??? my sister has two they are both over 100lbs. and as gentle as a baby. I think they are too dumb to bite anyone. well bed time here. Happy vacuuming everyone!
Ron B

Re: Rottweilers

Carole C in NOLA on 12/31/03 at 09:43 (140999)

I'm glad that SOMEBODY likes Rottweilers, because they scare me silly! So do pit bulls and other scary looking dogs.

I'm more the toy poodle type, though I don't have a dog. Somebody's got to like toy poodles since most people seem to think they are too high strung and yappy. My parents had one when I was little and she was a very sweet and loving pet. They don't shed and if you have them groomed, they come home smelling sweet and with a little bow on their head. I guess they are not a very manly sort of pet. :)

Right now I'm enjoying the freedom of having no pets at all, other than a fish. Eventually I may want a puppy or kitten, but not at the moment.

Carole C

Re: Cats and vacuum cleaners

marie on 12/31/03 at 10:48 (141003)

I believe that animals have their own personalities. Just because one dog is bad doesn't mean the whole breed is bad and the same with cats. Of course an animal's environment can affect an animal. All of our animals are very sweet and loving. In fact my hubby uses our pets to calm toddlers when they get their portrait done. If a toddler is crying and upset during a photo shoot all he has to do is call in Meisha, our siamese girl. She is sweet and loving. As soon as those toddlers see one of our cats or dogs in the room they immediately stop crying....it somehow distracts them and calms the situation. Our cocker spaniel, Katie loved toddlers so much that whenever she escaped from the back yard she'd high tail it to the day care across the street. As long as the little ones were outside playing she'd stay at the fence with them. The daycare manager would always give us a call when she showed up. In fact there are a few of my hubby's clients who have portraits of their toddlers with their arms around Katie.....she was such a ham.

We are working with our new puppy, Heidi. She is a mini dachsund. We were careful to find a puppy of a very social and sweet mother. So far she is working out well.

Our oldest cat is Hannah. Hannah doesn't like me but loves my hubby and my youngest son Michael. She is in charge of all the other pets...they stay out of her way.

Chloe is Meisha's daughter. She is Himalyan and Siamese. She is bigger than her mom and to this day she and Meisha have a very strong bond. Chloe isn't attached to any person in the house she is most loyal to Meisha. She is sweet but doesn't like to be held for very long. She is very playful and is most interested in playing with the puppy.

We have only had one dog that we had problems with. She was a mutt and we knew nothing about her when we adopted her from the humane society. She was an outside dog but had a nice house and of course we had her inside in the winter. We both worked during the day so we thought she would work out. After we had her for about a year we just couldn't get her agressive behavior trained out of her. I was afraid she'd really hurt someone and after she went after the cable guy I knew we couldn't keep her. He was on the roof of his truck yelling for help. She attacked anyone with a baseball or billed cap on. We figured her previous owner must have abused her and probably wore a baseball cap. We had to return her to the shelter. It was awful and that's why I always insist on meeting the puppy's or kitten's owners and mother.

Ron B on 12/31/03 at 11:18 (141008)

Carole C
I didn't say I LIKED Rottweilers. LOL I just said my sister had two of them and they are BIG and DUMB !!! I really don't care for Rotts. We have a long hair German Shepherd. I never have had and don't think I will ever have a dog that listens and obeys like this dog. She is soon gentle.but if a stranger comes in the driveway or to the door she barks and growls showing her teeth like she will rip them apart. But as soon as I tell her its 'ok' she is fine. thats the perfect dog if ya ask me 'all bark and no bite'
Happy New Years to ALL, may you be pain free in 2004 !!!!
Ron B

Carole C in NOLA on 12/31/03 at 11:40 (141009)

I have my reservations about dumb big pets! LOL I have to admit that I do like dumb little pets. They don't get bored and they are just as fun to snuggle with. However, I can't imagine snuggling with something as big as a Rottweiler! Dumb big pets had better not be too dumb to learn not to jump on me and/or slobber all over my face. I hate that.

German shepherds are nice if they are well trained. Yours sounds like a wonderful dog. :)

Carole C

Dorothy on 1/01/04 at 03:03 (141044)

German Shephers seem to be smart dogs. However, they used to 'lead the pack' in bites and attacks before pit bulls and Rottweilers took the lead.

Dorothy on 1/01/04 at 03:08 (141045)

Among our many cats were several Siamese. One of them was deaf. She had two characteristics that are common to Siamese: she had deafness and she ate woolens. She had a preference for the best woolens and especially enjoyed eating many of my hand-knit things. She ate a beautiful white woolen and embroidered blanket that I knit during first pregnancy. She ate handknit sweaters. She ate handknit scarves and mittens. Fortunately, she was unable to hear what I was saying to her after finding the little wet wooly remnants of her vandalism.

Dorothy on 1/01/04 at 03:14 (141046)

Ever since I fell in love with the movie 'Babe', I have wanted a Border collie but I know they need lots of space and lots of vigorous exercise so that might not be a dog that will ever be in my life - but I really like them. I would also like another Golden retriever someday and/or a chocolate Labrador retriever. They are wonderful dogs. We are not sure we will have a dog again and know that we won't have a cat again. I could tell you cat stories that you wouldn't believe. Dog, too, for that matter.
I read recently that Martha Stewart has a porch (enclosed, I would assume!) full of canaries. We have had ducks, chickens, rabbits, dogs, cats, a small alligator once (a misguided relative brought it to us as a 'gift')... Now it's just us human beings grooming and eating our kibble.

Dorothy on 1/01/04 at 03:19 (141048)

Carole ~ Have you ever seen a full-size (I think they are called 'standard') poodle that has NOT been groomed to look like a topiary tree? They are gorgeous and I have had several knowledgeable dog experts tell me that they are the most intelligent of dogs. I always wonder how that is determined .... but that is what I was told.

Dorothy on 1/01/04 at 03:39 (141052)

The Dyson is sure getting a lot of positive press, but it has quite the price tag on it, too. I am a nut for vacuum cleaners. I love the things and tend to be seduced by them and always look with a longing eye on the newest and latest version. Consequently, over the years we have bought more than our share of vacuums. We have the Eureka Sanitaire which used to be very highly rated and is still my husband's favorite. We have the Sears Kenmore canister with the PowerMate of some ten years ago which was Consumers Reports #1 rated for several years running. It's a great vacuum, albeit heavy. And we got a Eureka bagless (forget the model), pretty inexpensive w/HEPA, that does a pretty good job. What I like about the Eureka bagless is the fact that you can really take it apart and wash the parts very nicely. I love vacuum cleaners - it is a family joke, actually. Some years back, there was a boy about 12-13 years old or so who appeared on one of the late-nights like Leno or Letterman because he collected vacuum cleaners; not antiques necessarily, just vacs. I could relate and wondered why my own flesh and blood had not inherited this quality!

Dorothy on 1/01/04 at 03:44 (141053)

I should have added - there is a new vacuum at Sears that has TWO, count 'em, TWO, beater bars. Now that sounds like gilding the lily, but I admit I am very intrigued....

Dorothy on 1/01/04 at 03:45 (141054)

That is Shepherds, not Shephers. sorry. woof.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/01/04 at 07:29 (141055)

Yes, there was a beautiful standard poodle in our dog's obedience training class back in 1956. Its name was 'Koki' and it was very well behaved and easily trained, with a puppy clip. And large! :)

Carole C

John H on 1/01/04 at 09:39 (141061)

Dorothy: The only thing that beats two beaters is one husband to do all the vacuming. And as Sonny and Cher sang 'And the beat goes on'.

John H on 1/01/04 at 09:44 (141062)

I have tried many also Dorothy but for the past 6 years have stayed with the Oreck because it is so light (8 lbs) vs 20-25 lbs for the other big boys. I know some of the others have better suction but I am into less work which means less weight. I have been observing all the adds on the Dyson on TV. It does look heavy. I sure like the idea of no bags and a good filtration system which the Oreck lacks.

Julie on 1/01/04 at 10:02 (141064)

I agree about poodles. They are gorgeous dogs. I once looked after one for a few weeks while its owner was on holiday. He was a full-sized one, jet black, un-topiaried and very curly, and his name was Maurice. He was the friendliest, happinest, liveliest, most intelligent dog I've ever met, and I loved him and hated parting with him when the time came. Thanks for reminding me of that long-ago special relationship, Dorothy and Carole.

Re: Why I'm uncomfortable around big dogs

marie on 1/01/04 at 15:14 (141074)

I am very uncomfortable around big dogs. My niece was mauled in the face by a Great Dane. His top canines went in just at the corner of her eye and his bottom teeth went into her throat. He grabbed her and shook her like a rag doll...it happend very fast...seconds. He narrowly missed her eye and juggler vein. Miraculously one of the best plastic surgeons in the midwest was in the hospital when she came in the ambulance. He volunteered to stitch her face back together free of charge. She had 360 stitches inside and out. It was horrible.....really horrible. He was able to save the flesh that had been torn away and she healed without alot of dysfiguration. She bares a healthy scar from the corner of her eye to under her chin. I don't judge all big dogs by this incident but I am very caustious around them.

Dorothy on 1/01/04 at 16:48 (141081)

Oh, and I forgot to mention one of their other attributes: they have very little/almost no shedding. What a dog!

Julie ~ a special new year's word to you: so many thanks for your straightforward, smart, informed and wise advice here, as well as your warm loyalty and intelligent point of view. Yours is one of the very important voices here and is greatly appreciated. I hope for you continued good health, happiness and a joyful new year, with hiking in Crete, yoga everywhere,abundant cranberries, and smoke-free pubs...and maybe the serendipitous appearance of a lovely poodle on your doorstep!

Dorothy on 1/02/04 at 01:11 (141111)

Same here about big dogs. Your niece's experience with the Great Dane sounds horrible, really terrifying. There are just so many really terrible stories of dog attacks these days, and too many people are irresponsible about leashes (and droppings, too) and fences and all that needs to be done if one is going to keep a dog.

Dorothy on 1/02/04 at 01:16 (141113)

You have renewed my attraction for the large 'original' poodle. When and if we are ever dog-ready again, maybe we will look for one of these. Maurice is a good name for such a fine dog.

Re: Poodles

Julie on 1/02/04 at 03:17 (141126)

I've changed the subject heading. I'm wary of Rottweilers and I love poodled. Dorothy, thanks very much indeed for your kind words - I appreciate them! Happy New Year to you too, and I hope it brings you a beautiful big black poodle just like Maurice. Yes, it's a good name for a French Poodle.

Julie on 1/02/04 at 03:19 (141127)

Poodles. Not Poodled. I guess I got poodled. Whatever that is. My proofreading, which used to be one of my professional skills, is going to pod. Pot.

Julie on 1/02/04 at 03:27 (141128)

Dogs were once ALL wild creatures before we domesticated and bred them, and I believe that every dog has a trace, some more than a trace, of wildness. Small ones can do less damage than big ones, but a healthy respect for all dogs is called for.

Have Princess Anne's bull terriers cropped up in your news? On Christmas Eve, as the Royal Family foregathered at Sandringham, one of her three bulls, Dotty, savaged the Queen's favourite corgi so badly that it had to be put down, and of course everyone had a miserable Christmas. Dotty had already attacked a child while walking in a park a year ot so ago, making Princess Anne the first Royal to acquire a criminal record) and the judge had said that if Dotty attacked again she would have to be put down. So everyone thought - it's curtains for Dotty.

But wait! It seems it wasn't Dotty who murdered the corgi after all. It was another of Anne's bull terriers, Florence! So Dotty may be saved. Instead of having one very dangerous dogs, Princess Anne has two slightly less dangerous dogs....

But then again, perhaps whoever said there are no bad dogs, only bad owners, were right.

Dorothy on 1/02/04 at 03:54 (141129)

Suddenly, 'poodle', and all its variants, is becoming a hilarious word to me and I am ending this night of writing laughing. Sometimes words just morph, if you will, into that kind of absurd hilarity. 'Bean' once did it for me. Good night/good morning.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/02/04 at 09:29 (141139)

Perhaps I'm heartless, but I think Princess Anne should have the maturity to realize that she's got a problem with these dogs. She should give them up immediately, and get a more harmless type of pet. Perhaps a cute little declawed kitten would do. Although cats can attack too, I've never heard of one killing a dog (despite intent). Or maybe a budgerigar parakeet would be an even safer choice.

I cannot imagine having a dog that killed my mother's dog, and just KEEPING it. Maybe the rules of life are different for princesses.

Yes, Princess Anne's dogs have been all over the news here, too!

Carole C

marie on 1/02/04 at 09:41 (141140)

The owner of the dog had the dog by the collar when he attacked my niece. The dog was eight years old....over the hill for a large breed of dogs. The dog had nipped at the owners two year old and it was scheduled to be put down that day. The owners raised and bred Great Danes and had a nice kennel on their property. The owner was getting ready to give the dog one last walk around the property. My sister and her husband had just pulled up in their driveway. My niece, 5 years old flew out of the back of the car to see the dog. Before my sister could put her first foot on the ground it was over. The owner was sick about it all. He spent as much time by my nieces hospital bed as my sister.

I certainly know many beautiful large dogs but I am very caustious around them. Small dogs can bite just as hard.

marie

marie on 1/02/04 at 09:47 (141142)

It's too bad about the Queens precious corgy. I for one do not believe in second chances for viscious dogs.

marie

Re: Dotty and Anne

Julie on 1/02/04 at 11:14 (141153)

I don't think you're heartless Carole, I think you're absolutely right. And yes, the rules are definitely different for the royals. I was appalled when Princess Anne wasn't told to have Dotty put down after she mauled a child (she was actually off the lead at the time - would you believe it?) I think anyone else would have had to, but she got off with a fine and a warning. What appals me even more now is that she is trying to get away with the corgi murder, and save Dotty from the needle, by muddying the waters: the defense goes that in all the commotion no-one could really tell the dogs apart, so they can't be sure which dog done it. But it wasn't Dotty. Honestly.

It's completely irresponsible. Maybe it's Anne who should be put down.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/02/04 at 12:14 (141160)

I have to admit that my opinion of Princess Anne has diminished considerably since the dog incidents. I know she probably loves those dogs, but that is no excuse. It seems like she just doesn't appreciate the gravity of the situation(s). She needs to take some responsibility and also take the initiative to do the right thing.

I always kidded my daughter about being 'a princess' and insisting on having things her own way, but apparently she doesn't hold a candle to Princess Anne in that regard.

Carole C

john h on 1/02/04 at 12:31 (141161)

Some of my cats very original names: Bob (after one of my daughter's dorky boy friend), Tom, Oscar, Gurnsey (my wife named him after a cow only he is black and white and that is not a Gurnsey colored cow)
Poodles in particular the Giant Poodle can be very aggressive and not to be fooled by their name Poodle. I think they were bred to be hunters.

Dorothy on 1/02/04 at 14:32 (141168)

Really? (about the 'Giant Poodle' being aggressive...) I have heard that they are very good watchdogs, but I have not heard they were aggressive.
Do you mean pit bull type aggressive?

I am going to have to stop talking about this breed of dog - I can't seem to say or think 'poodle' anymore without laughing. The word has just tickled my funnybone and won't stop. When I came to the part of your sentence '...and not to be fooled by their name Poodle' I just cracked up. This is really getting ridiculous - and I am actually interested in learning more about these dogs!

You sound like Mr. Typical Dad when you say 'Bob...after one of my daughter's dorky boyfriends...' :-)

Re: Poodles (for Dorothy)

Julie on 1/02/04 at 16:25 (141171)

You see I've changed the subject heading again. I refuse to discuss poodles under the heading of Rottweilers. It's just ridiculous.

I can comment only on my experience with one giant poodle, Dorothy. Maurice was indeed aggressive, but in his case (I wouldn't know about others) this was entirely due to an excess of affection. And bumptiousness. His way of greeting me was to jump up on his hind legs and slap his forefeet against my chest, with all his considerable weight behind them. I am small, and was even smaller then (this was in 1958) so Maurice and I were eye to eye (when I didn't get knocked over).

He was the friendliest dog I've ever met (apart from my own dog-of-14-years, but Derry is another story) and I missed him when it was time to give him back to his owner. So on the strength of my albeit very limited experience but totally enjoyable experience, I would say a giant poodle would be a great dog to go for.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/02/04 at 16:57 (141177)

The dark grey standard(large) poodle that I met in obedience class in 1957, Koki, was the best behaved dog I have ever seen. He was the star of our obedience class. He also had the desire to jump up on people when greeting them! He learned in obedience class not to do that, and much more.

Of course when a toy poodle does that, he barely gets his forepaws as high as one's knees. That doesn't bother me as much. Not that I'm planning to get a dog, because I'm not going to quite yet.

Carole C

Dorothy on 1/02/04 at 18:00 (141184)

It's a happy poodle story, Julie. And I love the word 'bumptious'.
Sometime, will you tell us about Derry? (Another good name)
You're small? I picture you tall. Funny how we 'look' to each other as 'virtual' people, isn't it?

Dorothy on 1/02/04 at 18:10 (141185)

Yes, but it's fun to think about, isn't it...There are so many wonderful dogs. I love Golden Retrievers - they SMILE, after all - but, as much as I loved the Golden we had for years and miss her still, she was LOTS of work. They shed so much and bathing her was like a Total Life Experience of a Giant Wet Woolen Blanket. She was a fabulous creature though. The 'giant' poodle seems perfect - little shedding, smart, friendly, vigilant, good water dogs - AND they speak French! Sounds like a fine Louisiana dog, Carole - and I am certainly going to look into this breed myself when we are serious about a dog again.

Julie on 1/03/04 at 02:28 (141207)

Actually, Carole, Princess Anne is a law unto herself. She always has been. She's imperious. Divine Right of Kings and that sort of thing. I don't think anybody's daughter holds a candle to her.

Kathy G on 1/03/04 at 09:58 (141223)

The Royals are so interesting to me. Many years ago, an English couple moved in across the hall from us in our apartment building. She was English and he was Belgian. She just thought the Royal family were wonderful. She actually thought Queen Elizabeth was beautiful! This was about twenty-eight years ago and she was my age, so we were twenty-six. I was amazed that anyone my age could think the Queen was beautiful. She's not a homely woman but she was, and still is, so dowdy. Helen, my English friend, religiously followed everything the family did.

Her husband and she would get into wonderful 'discussions' because he thought the whole monarchy should be thrown out and said the money they wasted the English government could be put to much better use. We lost touch with them after they moved but I suspect that they continued to discuss the whole royal situation, especially when Princess Diana came into the picture and so many of the royal secrets came out!

As for Princess Anne, I think she loves her dogs because they are the only things that love her back. Oooh, that was nasty, wasn't it? I wonder if the 'be nice' policy extends to the British monarchy! If it does, I'll be banned from the boards for life!:'>

Dorothy on 1/03/04 at 13:34 (141243)

What the English do with their monarchy is up to them, obviously, but what does truly gall me is when AMERICANS practice curtseying and all the other 'subject' protocol folderol. Completely WRONG WRONG WRONG!! We fought a magnificent war of independence that ended that and our first president eschewed all efforts to have HIM be named king, rather than president. We should be so proud not to curtsey to anyone and it is part and parcel of why we should also be proud to question and be skeptical of our own government and to rail against ALL efforts on any president's part to act like a royal person. We don't have such things here. The Bushes, I think, have far too great an affinity for royal-dom and are, in fact, related to British royalty. We must rail against special privilege and imperial behavior. To do so is not disloyal; it IS American. We don't bow to anyone, not to kings or presidents!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/06/04 at 21:47 (141525)

Not unless we want to. :)

Carole C