Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

RICHARD CPED BIRKENSTOCKS OR ORTHOTICS?

Posted by qunicy on 12/31/03 at 09:25 (140996)

HELLO RICHARD,

I JUST WANT TO SAY WHAT A GREAT JOB YOU DO ON THESE POSTS AND IT IS APPRECIATED. MY QUESTION IS I AM SUFFFERING FROM POST TIB TENDONITIS FOR 4 MONTHS NOW AND MY ORTHITCS MY PODIATRIST HAD MADE FOR ME WERE FULL LENGTH WITH A PLASTIC MATERIAL WITH A RIGID ARCH SUPPORT, HOWEVER THEY HAVE NOT HELPED MY PROBLEM. DO YOU THINK BIRKENSTOCKS WOULD ACTUALLY BE BETTER THAN ORTHOTICS OR CAN YOU ADVISE ME ON AN ALTERNATIVE ORTHOTIC OR TREATMENT?

THANK YOU

Re: RICHARD CPED BIRKENSTOCKS OR ORTHOTICS?

Richard, C.Ped on 1/02/04 at 08:28 (141134)

As to your current orthotics, that would be something I would have to really see to find out why they do not seem to be working. Many people here love their Birks. They tend to have the most 'normal' type of foot support in a shoe.

The post tib tendonitis usually goes right away in a week or less with the proper support. Was a cast taken of your foot? You did not stand to take the impression did you?

quincy on 1/02/04 at 14:08 (141167)

richard,

my podiatrist took an impression of my feet with me in a sitting position, and my feet were non weightbearing.i have been in a soft boot cast for 5 weeks and am still having difficulty.

Andy O on 1/11/04 at 20:00 (141840)

Just be aware that there isn't just one type of Birkenstock nowadays.
There are the classic footbed, the Tatami very high arch footbed (my favorite), and various other footbeds offering moderate to minimal arch support. It is hard to know the players without a program. Make sure to talk to an experienced Birk dealer and emphasize the type of arch you have.
I benefit only from the Tatami very high arch footbed found on my Fuldas. These are just the ticket for my PF. There are three other models which have this footbed. Not all Tatami series shoes have this footbed, however. The enclosed shoes (which look like normal leather shoes) all have either 'moderate' or minimal arch support. Great for low arch-types, I suppose. They don't work for me.
Frankly, I feel that Birkenstock should offer better descriptions of their products to the public to enable people to better know what products to try. But this might reduce sales!