Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Last night (warning: sloppy, sentimental, post)

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 1/01/04 at 11:40 (141066)

Last night at midnight, I stood barefoot on my front lawn and watched the fireworks lighting up the skies overhead in every direction, while the smoke from them swirled down the street and neighbors toasted the New Year. It was a glorious moment for me with no pain whatsoever and the grass felt wonderful under my feet.

I did get cold since it was only 57 outside, and I have a cold, so even though I was dressed warmly the 'barefoot moment' only lasted about ten minutes for me. Still, this was a moment of triumph for me. They say that whatever you are doing when the New Year comes in, will continue throughout the year.

Without heelspurs.com I never would have known what self treatments to pursue, much less had the heart to keep trying and trying until I healed enough to live a normal life and do crazy things like this. I thank all of you from the bottom of my heart.

Carole C

Re: Last night (warning: sloppy, sentimental, post)

Dorothy on 1/01/04 at 15:51 (141076)

Carole ~ Not sloppy, maybe sentimental, but very wonderful!! I hope so much for you - and for us all - to live normal lives and do crazy things and be full of joy and gratitude. A happy, healthy new year to you!

Julie on 1/01/04 at 16:42 (141079)

Carole, that's wonderful. And I know how you feel. It happened for me exactly three years ago, when I took my shoes off and walked barefoot on the beach in India in early January 2000. It was a moment of triumph, total gladness and liberation: I couldn't believe I'd done it and I was utterly exhilarated. And it DID continue. That was the beginning of the end of PF for me: after that there were twinges for awhile, but nothing serious. I do hope it will be the same for you.

I like the idea that 'whatever you are doing when the New Year comes in, will continue throughout the year'. I've spent today, yesterday, and the whole of the last two weeks clearing cupboards and shelves and drawers of the 40-year accumulation of 'stuff' which we never use and don't need. I'm not finished yet, but in a different way this too has been liberating, and I would love to think that 2004 will be a year free of clutter in every way. Thanks for the thought, and Happy New Year.

Julie on 1/01/04 at 16:43 (141080)

Correction: January 2001 (in case you were thinking I can't add, or had forgotten what year started today).
:)

Carole C in NOLA on 1/01/04 at 17:38 (141084)

Julie, it's a wonderful feeling to get rid of all that stuff one has accumulated over the years! It's very liberating, as you said. Your house will feel less cluttered and you will have a lot more storage space available. It will be easier to find things.

I remember reading some posts by you about walking barefoot in the sand in India. At the time I read them, it seemed impossible to me that anybody could be that fully recovered from PF. But now I know that it's indeed possible. :)

Happy New Year to you, too!

Carole C

Ellen J. on 1/01/04 at 19:01 (141088)

Hi Carole,
I know exactly how you felt! It is so exhillarating to feel the grass under your feet and start to feel normal again. I distinctly remember that feeling this past spring when that happened to me. I went barefoot in the cool spring grass--very carefully and tentatively but it was a completely joyous feeling. Nobody around me knew how much excitement I felt, and I couldn't have described it even if I tried.
So glad you are feeling better!! And thanks for letting us know so I could re-live my spring moment of 2003!
Ellen J.

Re: You all give me some desperately needed hope!

francesc on 1/01/04 at 21:06 (141095)

i was so happy to read your postings because i'm having a flare-up of PF in both my feet right now and i'm not happy. it's put a damper on my holidays because we went out of town and i had to put on a 'happy face' for the in-laws.

anyway, i was just wondering last night if anyone ever felt 'recovered' from PF. i suppose if you are, you're not posting here anymore! :-) by this morning when i took my first painful steps (i had to get up to go to the bathroom in the early morning hours), i had come to the conclusion that no one ever recovers.

i'm still working thru getting my orthotics right, getting the pain down, and trying to still function like a normal human being (not possible today).

i was just watching some TV and wondering if i'd ever be able to take the kids to Disneyland or go walking barefoot on the beach.

i was so heartened to hear that you all did all of these things!

HAPPY NEW YEAR! may your feet continue to be pain-free!

frances

Carole C in NOLA on 1/01/04 at 21:54 (141099)

You really can recover, Frances, it just takes a long time and a lot of effort in trying different things. According to what the doctors here tell us, chances are overwhelmingly good that you will get over your PF completely and be able to take the kids to Disneyland some day (but maybe not this year).

I can do a lot of things that I thought I'd never do again, but I am still at least a little careful with my feet. Even so, I can live a normal life and enjoy it once again. The same is true for several others here, as you have read. :)

Happy New Year to you, and I sincerely hope that next New Year's you are feeling better and posting about your triumphs, too!

Carole C

Re: Enjoy

wendyn on 1/01/04 at 23:21 (141105)

Carole - you should enjoy the barefeet outside!!! It is about -8 F here tonight (winter came back)...so if I tried that, I would probably lose my feet for good!

I did not even bother to leave the house today; I just puttered around and got caught up on a lot of little things. It's a nice way to start the new year.

I would also like to thank the folks here who have helped keep me sane (as sane as I will ever be) for over 4 years.

wendyn on 1/01/04 at 23:23 (141106)

Julie - the de-cluttering is really a great way to start isn't it? I tackled my home office today, and I cannot believe the garbage and filing I had to contend with. I even cleaned out my internet email - I think I deleted about 500 messages from my inbox. It was out of control.

Tomorrow I will go to work (it will be really quiet there) and try to tackle that office next.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/02/04 at 01:28 (141114)

It's great to be rid of the clutter, isn't it? So much easier to find things, and the house feels much more peaceful and beautiful. I have more storage space, too, and less to clean.

After giving everything away in my divorce six years ago, and then moving (and throwing out huge quantities of stuff) three times since, I have finally got the clutter down to a manageable level.

Now, I'm trying to ask myself before buying anything, whether or not I really actually do need it. That's hard. I'm afraid I'm in 'clutter building mode' despite my good intentions.

Carole C

Re: De-cluttering

Julie on 1/02/04 at 03:13 (141125)

Yes, de-cluttering is terrific. I wake up every morning thinking, now what shall I de-clutter today! I've been hard at it for two weeks and have another two weeks before I start teaching again, and plenty of scope for more de-cluttering. I'm a happy as a lark.

It certainly must help to move occasionally, as you have, Carole. The root of our clutter-problem really is that we've lived in the same house for 40 years. We arrived with virtually nothing, but as neither of us is very good at throwing things away, Things have accumulated, as Things do. We buy new Things to replace old ones, and then we keep the old ones thinking they might come in useful sometime (and whenever they do we learn the wrong lesson). You get the picture. We got completely silted up, and I finally decided I couldn't stand it any longer. Hence my New Year project - and I am enjoying myself thoroughly.

Wendy, while I was de-cluttering my files I filled two big black bin bags with discarded papers. And I'm only halfway through. After two days of it I got tired of paper and started on clothes. When I get tired of clothes it will be back to the kitchen again, where I've already made a good start. It's a sort of non-system: drawer by drawer, shelf by shelf, I'm taking possession of my house.

Well, I must stop and get back to work.

Oh, bliss.

:)

Julie on 1/02/04 at 05:58 (141130)

Hi Frances

I'm sure you will one day be able to do all the things you want to do. Have courage and hope.

It's true that lots of people who recover from PF don't come here any more. But there's a whole bunch of us who have recovered, or have at least got very much better, and have stayed around to give a leg up to others who are going through it. Perhaps you'll want to do the same.

Bev N on 1/02/04 at 07:04 (141131)

Wendy,
Hi Wendy, I have been thinking about you and your family and I hope you are doing well. How is your husband feeling?
Reading how all of you are decluddering your homes has me in the mood to do the same. As soon as I get my strength back from all of the company we had for a week ( some of the the children and grandchildren all stayed here all week) I will start to dig into my house too. We got rid of almost everything four years ago when we moved here, however we have accumulated enough that we need to go through things again. I was hoping to get rid of the 'baby' toys and stroller,playpen and all , however we found out we are having another one so now we have to hang onto them along with all of the rest of the grandchildrens toys , as we have them often.
I want to wish all of my PF friends a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR and pray that we all have good health in this new year. Bev

Bev N on 1/02/04 at 07:15 (141132)

Frances,
Have no fear, you can go to Disney Land with PF. I have PF and PN and we went to Flordia in October with the children and grandchildren and had a lovely time. They have Amigo's at Disney Land and I used them in all of the parks and it worked out well. At the condo and the stores and all we used the wheelchair or you could use your own Amigo to get around the condo park and the stores. I got an almost new Amigo on E-Bay for only $199.00 . Where there's a will , there's a way . So have a HAPPY NEW YEAR and I hope you are soon well . Bev

marie on 1/02/04 at 09:43 (141141)

Congratulations! Your first barefoot moment....you'll always remember this day! Not sappy at all....I'd say exciting!

best wishes marie

Re: De-cluttering

wendyn on 1/02/04 at 10:00 (141144)

I use the same system Julie. One room - one drawer or shelf at a time. It's too hard to tackle The Whole Thing at once.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/02/04 at 10:05 (141146)

It's not my first barefoot moment, Marie..... that was more than a year ago.

It was my first barefoot New Years. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/02/04 at 10:06 (141147)

Sorry if I did not sound too understanding. I know that you weren't around here on the boards back then and so how would you know? :)

Carole C

wendyn on 1/02/04 at 10:12 (141149)

Hi Bev. He is doing pretty well. Still tired off and on, but it could be that we've sort of hit hibernation mode with the weather being so cold.

Good luck with the cleaning!

Re: A brilliant system

Julie on 1/02/04 at 11:06 (141151)

It really is, Wendy, and I'm thrilled with how well it's working for me, but the thing is, in the past I've always been a 'Tackle the Whole Thing at Once' girl (which is probably why I seldom got down to clearing). I don't know why I thought of doing it this way this time - maybe I was picking up your system extrasensorily across 6,000 miles! Whatever, it works.

I must go and de-shoe my shoe cupboard. This is going to be a pushover: there are lots of things in there I know I will never wear again. All those un-supportive espadrilles and glove-soft Eccos that I used to love.

Thinking of you and hubby.

marie on 1/02/04 at 11:27 (141155)

Oh don't worry about that. I'm just glad that you had a fun New Years in your barefeet!:)

Carole C in NOLA on 1/02/04 at 12:01 (141159)

I sure did, and thanks! :)

Carole C

Re: Another brilliant system (grin), and other de-cluttering thoughts

Carole C in NOLA on 1/02/04 at 12:35 (141162)

OK, you two, here's another system if you get bored with the one you already have.

Trash pickup is twice a week, here. When I de-clutter, I usually make up my mind to fill one (or two) trash bags with clutter and put them out for the trashmen each time, in addition to my normal trash.

It doesn't matter WHAT clutter is in the bags, as long as they are completely full. The only rule I adhere to is how many extra bags per trash pickup I must fill. If I feel like filling more, then that is fine. But where in the house I de-clutter is simply up to me.

Shoes? Good idea! What about socks? Most of my socks need replacing anyway, and I'm never going to find the 'missing mates'. How about that old throw that I started crocheting in 1971? That can go, and so can the old curtains from apartments I no longer inhabit. And I can take those old clothes that I really don't care for any more, and cut them into neat squares for rags. My two worn-out suitcases with holes and broken zippers would half fill a trash bag just by themselves.

Getting rid of two old computer monitors that I had replaced, plus a very old computer freed up a lot of space. Giving excess furniture to children of friends who are just starting out, was a successful idea as well. I tend to instinctively keep such things because they are 'worth money', but hadn't done anything about them. How much would I pay in order to avoid storing them? That's a consideration as well. And it makes me feel happy to give something to someone who needs it.

One thing I'm glad I didn't toss out is my old folk guitar, a relic from the 1960's. While Frank was here I bought strings for it and I'm going to try to practice and re-learn how to play it.

Carole C

Julie on 1/02/04 at 16:37 (141174)

That sounds like a good system, Carole! Decide it's fill-a-bag time, and go for it. You can be my clutter-clearing mentor.

You don't do this every week, do you? Mind you, I can see how it might become a habit: I'm getting addicted to it. Today I cleared out a lot more old clothing: stuff I haven't worn for years (and I mean YEARS - in some cases 20 and more years) and some stuff I've never worn at all, and shouldn't have bought in the first place. And stuff I've outgrown, or just can't stand any more. And so on. And shoes. And socks, speaking of socks! Lots of those, including some perfectly good, hardly worn wool hiking socks, which I know I shall never want again now that I've discovered Thorlos (something else to thank this website for).

So far, in two weeks, I have filled three large bin bags with stuff to go to Oxfam, and another three with stuff to go out to the Vulture (that's what they call the trucks that eat our rubbish). And I'm not through yet.

But like you, I'm hanging onto my guitar (50s). Even if I never play it again, it stays. You never know...

Carole C in NOLA on 1/02/04 at 16:48 (141176)

Yes, I did do it every week for several months before and after each move. But I think it's only necessary while you feel overly cluttered, and not as a normal practice throughout life.

Now that I'm all moved in, it seems like I'm putting out so much banana tree greenery that I've stopped with my clutter bags.

Anything you haven't worn for 20 years should go!!! You are inspiring me! I have two closets stuffed with clothing and I don't even wear 90% of it any more.

By the way, you might want to get new strings for your guitar. You never know... you might pick it up again one day, especially if it's newly strung. :)

Carole C

Dorothy on 1/02/04 at 17:43 (141179)

Thorlos are the best socks on the planet! The people who invented Thorlos should be given a medal.

To quote Mammy Yokum: Ah have spoken!
(Does anybody else remember Mammy Yokum? L'il Abner? She wore boots that looked like Doc Martens and socks that could be Thorlos, I betcha!)

wendyn on 1/02/04 at 20:10 (141191)

Julie, this is also how I tackle my spring cleaning. I make a BIG list of everyone room in the house, and everything that has to be cleaned in the room (in little parts). Part of it would look like:

Kitchen
Bulletin Board
Fridge
Freezer
Pantry
Drawers
Cupboards
Living Room
Bookshelf
Drawers
Magazine Rack

etc.

I mark down who is responsible for each item on the list. It works well, because there are some days that you can't do too much - but even crossing one little thing off helps a bit. It may take 2 months to get it all done, but most of does actually get done this way.

I know it looks a little anal - but you have to remember, I used to be an accountant.

wendyn on 1/02/04 at 20:11 (141193)

Carole, I think if I tried to fill up a certain number of bags - I may throw out all kinds of things that I should really keep.

There are days I may try to put family members in there.

;)

Julie on 1/03/04 at 02:13 (141204)

Wendy, I'm an anal list-maker too, and I wasn't even an accountant. I don't think it's typical for an INFP, but ticking items off is very satisfying. For this Project, though, I didn't make a list. I just decided the whole house needed clearing out and got stuck into it. A list wouldn't have been much use because I keep discovering pockets of Things that I didn't know we had and couldn't have listed. For example: we looked at some of our old slides last night, and when I took the slide boxes down off their shelf I saw there was a whole lot of stuff hiding craftily behind them. And there I'd thought that shelf didn't need 'doing'. This morning's first job is getting all the slides down and investigating all that hidden treasure, neatly stashed there about six years ago and totally forgotten.

What I AM doing is keeping a day-by-day list of everything I've done. It has reached item 29. That's satisfying too. And in six months' time, when I've forgotten the details of this project, I can look at my list, see what I did, and feel virtuous.

;)

Julie on 1/03/04 at 02:16 (141205)

I don't know about Mammy Yokum's socks, Dorothy. I don't think Thorlos would ever fall down around the ankles and get so collapsed and wrinkled. But I'm sure the shoes were Doc Martens, or a clone thereof.

Yes - Thorlos are the best socks ever.

Julie on 1/03/04 at 02:25 (141206)

Carole, you have to understand that when it's 16.48 in New Orleans, it's 10.48 here in London, and bedtime. I didn't intentionally interrupt our conversation. :) I'm pleased to be your inspiration. Yes, get at those closets. You will feel so much better when there are spaces between the clothes that are left.

Mind you, having done the hanging closet bit, I now have a problem with the empty hangers, which take up as much space as the clothes that used to hang on them. Do I throw them? Or do I keep them just in case they'll come in useful sometime...?

New strings for my guitar - yes, ok, I will. The last time I restrung it I put it back on its shelf and haven't played it since. But like I said, you never know....

How are you getting on with your playing? Is it classical or folk you play?

WendyM on 1/03/04 at 08:29 (141211)

Dear Carole C...thanks! I'm cutting and pasting your sloppy, sentimental post and sticking it under my blotter so I can read it everyday. Doing anything barefoot again would be a little bit of heaven! Thanks for the inspiration! ~WendyM

Carole C in NOLA on 1/03/04 at 09:05 (141214)

Mostly folk and popular, although I took lessons in classical guitar one summer. I haven't picked up my guitar in 15 years. So, now I am just playing random chords and I'm thrilled that I remember them. I can still play barred chords, and that amazes me.

Also I still have my music, so I will be getting that out once the amazement at playing random chords passes.

Frank gave me an old guitar stand that he had, so that my guitar is out in the living room rather than back in a closet. That's much more convenient.

Carole C

Re: Oh, and about the hangers

Carole C in NOLA on 1/03/04 at 09:07 (141215)

I don't think I'd throw them away! Maybe they need to be distributed between closets, or shoved to the side (?) Gee, that is certainly a dilemma.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/03/04 at 09:10 (141216)

I'm glad to be of any help! Take care.

Carole C

JudyS on 1/03/04 at 10:54 (141232)

A simple system I've followed for awhile now is that, for every new thing that comes in to the house, an old, unused thing has to go to Goodwill.

wendyn on 1/03/04 at 12:27 (141236)

Julie - I'm not sure which kind of hangers you're referring to, but I always take my wire hangers back to the dry cleaners when I clean out closets.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/03/04 at 13:24 (141240)

That sounds effective! I bought an electrik wok this week, too. I'd better start thinking about what to give away. LOL

Carole C

Lari S. on 1/03/04 at 13:37 (141245)

How beautiful! You give us all hope, and remind us to treasure the small victories. Of course, after reading all the de-cluttering posts, I'm too exhausted to actually tackle any of mine! I have high hopes of actually CONSIDERING getting rid of stuff, but would have to convince hubby that he REALLY doesn't need the utility, credit card, etc. etc. bills from 1970 on, and myself that I'm never, ever going to get around to all those craft projects. And there's always hope that the kids will eventually get places of their own that are big enough to hold all the stuff that's stored here.

Oh well, there's always next year! LOL

Lari

Julie on 1/03/04 at 15:34 (141253)

Now you are inspiring me! As soon as I've finished the Project, I'll get the guitar down and see if I remember any chords.

Julie on 1/03/04 at 15:36 (141254)

Judy, now that really IS a brilliant system. I shall try to adopt it.

But may I borrow your husband? It takes two to keep to a system like that, and mine never gets rid of anything.

Julie on 1/03/04 at 15:39 (141255)

No, Wendy, not wire hangers - I mean (1) the good old solid wooden ones and (2) the plastic ones that come with new clothing items from Marks & Spencer. I decided to keep (1). (2) have gone into the bin.

This morning I rang up the Oxfam shop to see if they were open, and they were! I loaded up a carfull of stuff and drove it straight there and dumped it.

marie on 1/03/04 at 18:14 (141271)

That's a great way to tackle spring cleaning! Thanks for sharing this idea........I am going to try it. No one will want the attic so we'll have to schedule a day all of us can work!

marie on 1/03/04 at 23:22 (141293)

Hi frances,

Lifestyle adjustments are not easy. PF takes a long time to heal. We take our feet and all the things we do with them for granted. You can maintain an active lifestyle....just different from what you're use to. If you ask I am sure others here will share some ideas to help make this time easier for you!

best wishes marie

JudyS on 1/05/04 at 10:29 (141399)

Well now Julie - I didn't say that my husband participated in my little rule! :)