Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Could pms hormones be causing my pf?????????

Posted by Heather on 1/02/04 at 00:00 (141108)

ok i was so excited after almost a year of suffering the last few months i actually started taking notes on my pain, and seriously i go weeks with no pain and boom i start my period and the pain begins and gets worse each day.have you seen or heard of cases where pf is hormone related?it really seems to be fitting a pattern here.if so where do i go for help.what kinds of things could help me?please get back to me if you have any info .thanks so much! Heather

Re: Could pms hormones be causing my pf?????????

Julie on 1/02/04 at 02:46 (141123)

Heather, in case no one responds with similar experience, I recall a few women mentioning it in the past - a few years ago, I mean. You could try using the search facility to see if it turns up any posts.

I don't know about the hormonal aspect, but water retention could be a factor in increased pain at period time.

wendyn on 1/02/04 at 10:01 (141145)

There have been frequent comments here over the years that many women find their pain levels increase with their cycle. Don't know if it's from water retention, lower tolerance to pain - or something else.

Pauline on 1/02/04 at 10:51 (141150)

Wendyn,
Also with stress which sometimes increases with a woman's cycle, but how do we make the connection in post menopausal women who also get PF? Their hormone level is decreasing unless they are on HRT.

Any information yet on your painful lump on your leg?

marie on 1/02/04 at 11:42 (141157)

I am post menopausal and I do believe that hormone changes are a factor. There has been some research on it. I use an over the counter Progesterone cream on my ankles, feet and knees. It seems to help.

wendyn on 1/02/04 at 20:01 (141190)

Who knows Pauline? I'm terrified of menopause. (I've barely come to terms with puberty)

I have other lumps, but the one on my leg has disappeared again. No big surprise since it's been coming and going for about 6 years now. I am glad that it has gone on vacation (maybe it goes south for the winter?)

I will call on Monday to find out what is happening with the rheumatologist.

Pauline on 1/02/04 at 20:51 (141195)

That's interesting Marie and a good tip for others to try.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/02/04 at 22:16 (141197)

Wendy, don't be terrified of menopause. It seems to affect different women in radically different ways. Some women have literally no symptoms other than the obvious one. So, the effect on you could be minimal (or not, but there's no way to know).

Puberty is another matter. Ugh! Much harder to handle.

I hope the rheumatologist or someone figures out what is going on with your bumps soon.

Carole C

Heather on 1/02/04 at 23:56 (141199)

I am almost 30 years old and have actually been thinking I was crazy but me and my hubby have found gray hairs on my head.ANd my periods have been changing just keep coming faster and faster.but ever since I had my baby 11 months ago my body changed this time around and pf came on one month after I had my sweet baby.It makes it so hard to carry her..but ofcourse I do.but oh it hurts!anyway is it possible a person at 30 could be post menopausel..sp?and are there tests to determine that?and maybe my body is lacking in progesterone and that is why I hurt so much and have pf during my period.oh I just wish we could all figure out a cure!!!hey I was wondering what kind of progeserone cream do you use ,where do you get it whats it called?oh it is so frustrating each month I think wow I am cured I can walk again and then boom horrid pain comes back with my cycle...so strange but its what happens to me.i guess i should count my blessings that i get a short break each month from the pain but it comes on so all of the sudden as sudden as my period.and I am sick of hurting so bad and embarrassed even that i need to sit so soon and it kills to greet my guests and stand .sorry i just want to cry and it just feels so good to vent to you all.you understand and are so caring.sorry so long i guess I really needed a shoulder to cry on.Thanks all my Love and understanding. Heather

Carole C in NOLA on 1/03/04 at 00:32 (141201)

Heather, we hear you and we care! These message boards are one place where you can vent and people will care and understand.

I think the grey hairs probably don't mean anything; many people, especially with dark hair start finding hairs in their 20's even if they don't go through menopause for another quarter century or more.

Giving birth has a huge effect on the mother's hormones. That could be why the frequency of your periods have changed, and who knows? It might be affecting your feet too. If it was me, I'd start with my gynecologist and tell him about the changes in your period. Maybe he will do some tests to see if anything needs to be done about it.

Having a baby to carry around is hard on a person's feet, and as a mom myself I know that taking care of a baby is no picnic (at least taking care of my daughter sure wasn't). I do recall walking with her quite a bit. If you can afford it, maybe the supportive orthotic footbed in some Birkenstocks would help to support your feet - - the Arizona and Boston models are most helpful for PF.

If you have time, the gentle Yoga stretching might help, too.

Carole C

Julie on 1/03/04 at 01:02 (141203)

Wendy, you are funny!

Speaking from experience with both, I found puberty much more of a challenge than menopause. Don't be frightened. As Carole says, it affects different people in different ways and you may have no problems at all and sail through it. And if you do have problems, you'll deal with them in the same intelligent, practical way you deal with everything else. There is no point in worrying about anything that is so far off in the future - unless there is action you can take to prepare for it, which in this case there isn't.

Re: progesterone cream answer

marie on 1/04/04 at 13:10 (141336)

I use a cream made by Nature's Bounty, Menopause Formula Progesterone Cream. It has 480 mg of Progesterone per ounce. It's in the vitamin section at Walmart. It is one of several things that has helped. Like you I had some wild hormonal changes in my early 30's. I was entering menopause but the docs just couldn't believe me. I finally convinced them to test me when my foot problems became serious....Yikes my test was the highest score my doc had ever seen. Unfornately I was done with menopause. I am post menopausal now. I did some reading on women who are early menopausers....It seems that we often have magnesium deficency. There is no test to verify this. All you can do is try it and see if it helps.

marie on 1/04/04 at 13:13 (141337)

Wendy,

I don't take hormones...I'm all done with it! HURRAY!!!!!! Nothing to be frightened of....it's really very liberating!

wendyn on 1/04/04 at 13:47 (141339)

Well, I think that in 5 or 10 years I'll need you all around for a menopause support group!!!

Dorothy on 1/04/04 at 15:19 (141344)

Another interesting factor, and one that many of us with environmental/social concerns, are watching is the age at which girls begin menstruating/enter puberty because it is becoming younger and younger worldwide. Early puberty can also mean earlier menopause - which IN THAT CONTEXT can be a good thing, only because longer exposure to these hormones in life has significant health affects; therefore, entering the hormone stream early would mean leaving it also earlier might be healthier for that female. However, all of the other considerations for early puberty are very serious.
Since a really huge influencing factor on 'premature ovarian failure'/early menopause is smoking, one can only wonder then if even temporary smoking but at an early developmental age, can affect ovulation/cycles, etc.What the research has shown is that smoking affects egg development - it, in fact, kills eggs. Furthermore, one has to also wonder if, since smoking is a form of air pollution, do other forms of air pollution have at least some affect on women's reproductive health. You know, among rabbits, if they have developing embryos in utero but they perceive that the environment (food source, weather, water, whatever..) is not suitable for a litter to be born, their bodies 'automatically' resorb those embryos. It is an amazing fact of nature. We are also creatures of nature, so one has to also wonder if women who enter early menopause have bodies that have responded (at a subconscious level, obviously) to the environment and, in effect, 'shut down'.
Finally, I agree with you, Marie and think you make an important point in saying that menopause can be liberating, depending on one's views and perceptions of all these factors that are so much a part of women's lives. It was particularly so before the era of birth control, but is still true now since it not only means the end of reproductive concerns but of the (often unpleasant) use of birth control methods. However, early menopause is a different situation for a woman who may not have had children that she wants to have and in America the influences on a woman's psyche in the arena of 'aging' are profound. To face that in the twenties or thirties can be very very difficult. I may be off on this due to faulty recall, but I seem to remember reading that the earliest (natural) menopause was late teens or early twenties. What is happening with women's reproductive lives is truly fascinating - and should be of concern to us all - because we have on the one hand, women increasingly in their forties, fifties and (rarely) even later giving birth by 'artificial' means; at the other end of the spectrum we have female CHILDREN having babies, usually as a result of adults misusing her (sexual exploitation, AIDS superstitions, worldwide objectification of females, etc etc etc). And in the great 'middle' we have women who are experiencing the wide range of reproductive challenges - including early menopause. I don't know if it is on the rise or not, haven't read those data, but it is certainly more in the literature for whatever reason.
In addition to smoking and to genetic heritage, there is also a syndrome (I can't recall its actual title now) that includes infertility and early menopause and obesity. I don't know much about it but recall having read about it some years ago.
Finally, if a woman has gone through an early menopause, she might want to weigh the costs/benefits of carrying extra body weight because body fat cells produce estrogen and that might be beneficial to a woman whose body is otherwise no longer producing estrogen the way it once did. On the other hand, as cardiovascular disease and breast cancer increase post-menopause and the relationship between overweight and those conditions, that is another facet to consider. I think every female should have hormone levels read and recorded after puberty through her thirties, say, so that each individual woman has a baseline of what her hormone levels were when they were all fully functioning. That way there is something unique to her body that can be referred to when considering hormone replacement, if one does consider using that. As it is now, it is a boilerplate system and makes no sense since we are all quite unique in this area.
Long lecture. Sorry. I think this stuff is interesting. I am simultaneously listening to the Democratic candidates debate (on the radio for my purposes) and also working on some other writing that I am completing and editing. Please forgive if what I have written on the above material is disjointed

wendyn on 1/04/04 at 18:30 (141360)

Actually Dorothy - that was a fascinating post!!!

marie on 1/04/04 at 19:34 (141363)

You pose lots of good questions, Dorothy. It is a fact that women have started menustration much earlier. For myself...I was 10. Perhaps that is a factor in my own early menopause. I lived with a smoker...my mom.

We have evolved and changed as a species and a gender due to improved health care and environmental conditions. Just my observation. Whenever I take people through the historical museum next door...they are amazed at the tiny shoes and clothes. There is a wedding gown on display that I doubt any modern day 13 year old would fit into. The older chairs are lower because people were shorter.

In short...I firmly believe hormones do have an affect on my feet. Maybe not directly but indirectly. I have had a few conversations with Dr. Ed on this and he feels it is something worth researching. All I know is that the progesterone cream helps. I use it twice daily. I notice if I don't use it for a few days.

marie on 1/04/04 at 19:35 (141364)

:)):)):))!!!!