Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is this a new gimmicki?

Posted by Pauline on 1/03/04 at 10:08 (141224)

Anyone using this orthotic. Just found their website and wondered if it's a new kid on the block that has worked or just another orthotic gimmick. http://www.customfootandarch.com/

They have a return policy, but when you read the break in period schedule, I'm not sure the return time is long enough to break in the orthotics as described.

When I see headlines like this, you know there is a lot of profit to be made in orthotics especially when most people get stuck paying for something they often can't wear and can't return for a full refund.

Re: Is this a new gimmicki?

Richard, C.Ped on 1/03/04 at 11:42 (141234)

'Our Orthotic is NOT molded to your foot as doing so would copy the already problematic foot. Instead, your foot molds to our Orthotic, putting your foot into a more ideal position. This will allow your foot to reshape and mold itself into the correct position, (essentially re-balancing, re-aliginging and correcting your problematic foot).'

That right there tells me its a load of crap. $350 for a pair of plastic that is not even custom made??? This is a MAJOR reason why I think those who fabricate orthotics should be licenced.

Holy cow. I'm gonna email them.
I'm gonna be sick. :-& haha

Pauline on 1/03/04 at 13:15 (141238)

I got the same feeling. I wondered how their product corrected anything.
Wouldn't a piece of cardboard do just as well? Heck it will mold to your foot for free.

Let us know what you find out. It should be an interesting conversation.

For an orthotic that isn't going to do anything, it sure has extensive
instructions for breaking them in.

The cardboard one's I'd sell you for half the price would just have one instruction. Cut to fit. Haaaaa Haaaa Buy mine, buy mine.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/03/04 at 15:25 (141252)

Good for you, Richard, for telling it like it is!!!

I just can't imagine spending that much for an over the counter orthotic. My custom orthotics, which are/were absolutely miraculously good, cost me considerably less (two hundred something, though I'd have to look through my receipts to recall the exactly price). That included several hours of my C.Ped's time, while she made them and adjusted them until they were perfect.

Birkenstocks are expensive and not custom, but $350 is three times as much as Birkenstocks, plus with these you don't even get the shoe! LOL And Birkenstocks mold to your feet a bit while you wear them.

Carole C

Andy on 1/05/04 at 13:30 (141414)

Sounds like another version of the 'Good Foot Store' theme. I visited my local outlet and was first told that their products ranged in price from $45 to $269. After a quickie indoctrination about how my feet would mold to the inserts, I was pressured to buy the $269 version. When I inquired about the less expensive options, the saleslady got insulting so I walked out. I doubt that they even have a less expensive version.
These folks are just taking advantage of the misfortune of others, in my opinion.

Richard, C.Ped on 1/05/04 at 14:19 (141418)

Exactly Andy.

Dr. G on 1/06/04 at 21:39 (141520)

I agree with you.
Although I would feel less bad if someone dropped 60 bucks on a Phase 4 than walking out of a GoodFeet Store with $500 worth of junk. In a way, I am sort of amused that the Phase 4 people who do an Alznner imitation are beating the GoodFeet people at their own game.

Who knows what will happen next. Someone will take two pieces of sponge rubber, squirt some silicone in between and call it an orthotic ;)
Dr. G

Richard, C.Ped on 1/07/04 at 09:19 (141561)

Hmmmm...You just gave me an idea!!! hahahaha

marie on 1/07/04 at 18:00 (141591)

Actually spongy cushiony orthotics would be great orthotics for tts. The hard ones made my tts worse. I felt like I was walking on my bones with no padding on the bottom of my feet. I was half tempted to design and make my own shoe for tts. I think four sponges and some gel goop in between with some pretty straps would have felt wonderful!

best wishes marie