Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

WOW! Such great reading...

Posted by Suzanne D. on 1/03/04 at 17:06 (141264)

I just returned from a few days away from home (and a computer), and have been reading and reading...and enjoying every minute of it! I'm afraid I don't have the time to reply to each post, so I'll just say some things here in one message.

First, Happy New Year to each of you - I said that before I left, but I'd like to say it again! Coming back home and reading all these posts at one time makes me once again so happy that I 'know' all of you and that you are a part of my life.

Congratulations, Judy, on the addition of a new daughter-in-law to your family! She is indeed blessed to have someone as caring as you for a mother-in-law! (Yes, Kathy G., that still seems like a 'strange' title for me to have, too! I guess it's all the mother-in-law jokes! I do really appreciate and respect my son-in-law and hope the feeling is mutual.)

Weddings CAN be such a show and expense. I've seen and been a part of so many with my husband being a minister. Thankfully, my daughter and I were able to see eye-to-eye and worked very hard to keep the cost and stress of theirs down, but as we made so many things ourselves, it did take a lot of work. We had 13 'snow days' last year, and that was what helped me keep it together! Every day we missed school I looked at as an opportunity to work on corsages or programs or something that needed to be done. Without those days off before the April 5th wedding, it would have been much more stressful!

Carole, I loved the enthusiasm you shared with us about your barefoot in the grass experience, celebrating the New Year! You always have a way of lifting the ordinary to something cherished, and that is a gift you share with us all. Thank you! And good luck on your WW goals! I love the way Julie phrased that - looking at it as a way to become more fit and happier, not as 'depriving yourself' in a weight loss program. Thanks, Julie, you always bring things so clearly into light for us.

Dorothy, thanks for your wit! Now I cannot even remember what it was I read that you wrote (I'm trying to remember too much at once!), but thank you for being you. Oh, I do remember now about the wedding and anniversary photos in the newspaper. I thought that was sweet.

John, thank you for sharing about the 'Shield of Strength' tags. I appreciated reading about those; I hadn't heard about them yet but will look for them.

Now, to the de-cluttering...This is uncanny. Last night I was in a cabin in the Smoky Mountains with family and friends, and I think I was the last one still awake. In the silence, amid thankfulness for a nice time away and enjoyment of the beauty of the mountains, I started thinking, for some odd reason, about all the CLUTTER in my home (my basement - school STUFF from 26 years, just to begin!), and I decided before I went to sleep that I would commit this year to getting a trash bag a week out of the house - either throwing or giving away. And then I come to the board here and read what you all are doing in that same area! Here I was, thinking about the same things that you all were, and I wasn't even connected to the internet!

Lastly, Wendy M., I'm a first grade teacher, too, and I DO understand! Stay here with us; you'll learn so much and be so encouraged and helped!

Well, thanks to anyone who reads ALL of this! It's good to be 'home' with you all.

Suzanne :)

Re: WOW! Such great reading...

Carole C in NOLA on 1/03/04 at 18:00 (141268)

Suzanne, welcome back. :)

You must have a psychic connection to the rest of us! It's hard to explain why you'd be thinking of de-cluttering just as we were posting about it, but you did. Maybe we are all on the same 'wavelength' since we've known one another on these message boards for so many years now.

Or maybe it's a New Years thing and everybody's doing it. That's a rather sobering idea. Imagine billions of women and men all over the world throwing out a trash bag a week of clutter. Imagine billions of men and women all building cities on landfill created by the trashbags of clutter. Oh gosh, it is enough to make one giddy! lol

Carole

Re: Decluttering?????

marie on 1/03/04 at 18:12 (141269)

Hi Suzzane,

Glad you returned safely! I bet the cabin was beautiful.

I've been trying to declutter for the last 2 weeks...so far I cleaned out the china cabinet and a hall closet. The attic is the big one.....I think we can furnish another house with all that is up there. I am determined to get it straightened out!

I have been watching that new show on TLC where they clean out cluttered rooms and redo them. I just hope we can be tough with the attic. We have so much junk....but it has meaning to us...so it's hard to put it out by the curb.

Dorothy on 1/03/04 at 18:14 (141270)

So good that you're back. When you have a chance, I hope you will give some of your thoughts about some winter days in the Smokies. I love the Smokies and have some nice images in my head but would like to hear your own - but only if you have time and inclination.

Dorothy on 1/03/04 at 18:26 (141272)

I'm not convinced of the intrinsic value of getting rid of so much. It depends on what one is getting rid of, I guess. When I hear of people decrying 'stuff' and accumulation and all, I always wonder: where do those people think 'antiques' come from, where 'vintage' comes from. It comes from those of us who keep and take care of 'things'. I realize there ARE limits that are formed by sanity and peace of mind and space requirements, but otherwise I think that neither getting rid of, nor accumulating, is a virtue in and of itself. I like my things and like coming across something from 'oh, yes, that time...' or 'look at the handiwork on that...' or 'Mama used to have a waist that narrow...' or 'Grandma wore that dress to Aunt Sylvie's wedding back in 1950...' etc.
I prefer to be one of the keepers of the world. Not only do I like rummaging around in my own attic but I have always loved rummaging around in attics. It's the 'stuff' of life! I just hope that I am never like the guy who was buried under his mounds of papers and magazines in NYC recently. I don't think I am that bad - yet. I do look forward to the day when my grandchildren will have the fun and romance and magic of rummaging around in Grandma's attic and house and finding all sorts of 'treasures' and points of the imagination. Plus, I must add that I hope that all of you who are filling up trash bags are thinking of who else might make use of what you are getting rid of, rather than literally putting it in the garbage. It is the first form of recycling, you know.

Re: Yes, decluttering

Carole C in NOLA on 1/03/04 at 18:42 (141274)

Dorothy, I don't think anyone's talking about throwing lovely antiques in the garbage. Getting rid of clutter means exactly that; old phone bills from 1987, 109876 of 109877 essentially identical math homework papers from 1975, clothing that nobody in their right mind will ever wear, fondue pots and other things that we have not used in 20 years and probably never will.

From what everyone has said in these decluttering threads, anything that could be of value to anyone else is not going in the trash at all. So why not join us, and rid yourself of those things you will never use and nobody else would ever want? It will be loads of fun. We promise you can keep all the 'good stuff' to rummage through to your heart's content. :)

Oh, speaking of rummaging yesterday I discovered a new store in Metairie (my suburb). It's called 'Renaissance' and it's a huge, yet cozy feeling consignment shop full of BEAUTIFUL treasures such as you describe. I had such fun looking through them! I was really glad that the owners had gotten rid of their unwanted stuff so that others might enjoy them. I tried really hard to invent a need for some of it, but I ended up purchasing nothing, this time. Maybe next time, though! There was an adorable Louis XIV style side table, with hand painted flowers and gilt legs, for $158. I just might go back. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D. on 1/03/04 at 18:57 (141276)

That is something to ponder, isn't it, Carole? That we can sometimes be on the 'same wavelength'...Sometimes I am thinking about someone who hasn't posted in some time, and then they'll show up that day or the next. Those are some of the unexplainable things in life that are interesting to just think about now and then.

Of course, the New Year is an appropriate time for trying to set things in order. Normally, for me, though, I think more about 'resolutions' and goals at the beginning of each school year rather than on January 1st. That's when my 'new year' really begins each year!

Suzanne D. on 1/03/04 at 19:04 (141278)

Your point is well-taken, Dorothy. I fondly remember going into my great-aunts' upstairs rooms and rumaging. There were always such treasures to behold!

I really don't mean any things like that. Of course I know 'one man's trash is another man's treasure', as they say. But I need to get rid of old school-related catalogs, stacks of papers and 'stuff', etc., etc. Some better organization would be helpful for me, too! I have tried, but the stacks continue to build up around me.

I do take anything of value to Goodwill, and have given new teachers lots of materials through the years. I've taught 4th, 5th, 4th/5th, 5th/6th, 3rd/4th, primary (1-3), 1st/2nd, and now 1st. So I have accumulated LOTS of 'stuff'!

Thanks for your thoughts, though.

Suzanne D. on 1/03/04 at 19:05 (141279)

Marie, my daughters like to watch that 'Clean Sweep' show as well as those where they renovate and remodel and surprise the owners.

Yes, the cabin was beautiful, and the scenery from the porch was so relaxing. The weather was so warm for January, and that made it extra nice!

Good luck with your attic!

Suzanne D. on 1/03/04 at 21:40 (141281)

Dorothy, winter days in the Smokies conjure up thoughts of hot chocolate by a fireplace and snow on top of the mountains. I DID drink some hot chocolate, but the weather was definitely more spring-like, which made for good times sitting out on the cabin porch in a rocking chair.

I think varying aspects of nature are soothing for different folks. For me, gazing at hills or mountains brings a sense of peace and calmness which I can't find anywhere else. There is such a solitude and tranquility which they bring to me. Perhaps it is the fact that there were many hills around me during my childhood.

I love many types of music, but one of my favorites is 'mountain music' made by hammered dulcimers. I got a new CD of that music while on our trip. That, and a rocking chair on the porch, and I am serene!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/03/04 at 22:11 (141285)

Your description of sitting in a rocking chair on the porch, gazing at the hills and listening to dulcimer music sounds so peaceful! I'm glad you had that experience. :)

Carole C

marie on 1/03/04 at 23:06 (141289)

Thanks Suzanne because I'm going to need it. Dorothy your points are well taken so I think we should set aside some special stuff for future generations. My attic needs a cleeeeean sweep and some real organizing. I am going to purchase 12 large plastic tubs. Each person will get three. Once they are full that's it! I think three each is plenty for mementos. And yes I have all my old papers from when I first started teaching...those have to go. The furniture can stay up there but i want the boys to put their names on items so as they move out they can take it with them. Any useful household items or clothes will go to Goodwill. The rest will go to the garage for the city throw out day. Once a year you're allowed to put whatever you want by the curb and the city will pick it up free of charge. Each day a different section of the city is allowed to put stuff by the curb. It's fun because that's the day anyone can go around town and find some treasures and load it up in the truck....and no one cares. Hey another man's trash is someone elses treasure. I have found bookshelves and exercise bikes......funny but there are always alot of exercise bikes out by the curb. ;)

bye bye

Dorothy on 1/03/04 at 23:17 (141292)

Suzanne ~ I play a hammered dulcimer and I can and do play a mountain dulcimer but not as much as the hammered dulcimer. My husband built my mountain dulcimer for me many years ago. We like to sing together. We also play guitar and some piano. My people are all musical as I think many people with their roots in Kentucky are.I have sung and performed in a wide variety of musical styles over the years, but I am especially drawn to the music I was raised with. I was just reading something about Jean Ritchie today; do you like her? She is very traditional mountain/Appalachian/Scoth-Irish music, as is her family. They are from Perry County, KY - do you know where that is?
I don't know where you were in the Smokies but I have some very, very dear kin who live in the country just near there, between Decatur, Tennessee and Gatlinburg. Gatlinburg used to be a small mountain town, back before it became a huge tourist trap.
I read the saddest story in the Christian Science Monitor the other day about methamphetamines in the mountains of Appalachia and how this has left large numbers of children in need of foster care that is already strained and inadequate - and how they are in danger in the drug-homes. This meth is a huge scourge in rural America, so that part of the country is not alone in this - but it just breaks your heart. What fools we mortals be...
Yes, you are so right - being in the mountains, especially those mountains, has a feeling that is paradoxically wide-open and enveloping at the same time, old and sweet.

Julie on 1/04/04 at 05:32 (141306)

Dorothy, I sometimes wonder whether you actually read posts before you sail off on one of your hobby horses! (Forgive mixed metaphor.) I started this sub-thread by boasting about all the de-cluttering I've been doing, and since then what we've all been talking about is weeding out old STUFF, of which Carole has given some hilarious examples. To which I can add old files, hole-y knickers, ancient duvet covers long since replaced, never-used kitchen gadgets that haven't earned their right to space in a drawer for 20 years. And if you'd have liked my fabulous collection of t-shirts that were either worn out or too big or too small for me, you'd have been welcome to them.

I'm halfway through my Project, and I now have cupboards, shelves and drawers that are stacked with useful clothes and objects, into which I can get my hand when I want something, and FIND it. Our house feels like a clean wind has blown through it. ALL the stuff mentioned above (apart from the old papers and the hole-y knickers) and much more, has gone to Oxfam to be sold or recycled. Nothing precious has been thrown out. I still have and will never part with the clothes I got married in 41 years ago, and we still have my husband's mother's century-old tablecloths that we never use but will not part with, and her beautiful old china. As we have no family, all this will get thrown on the dump when we're dead, but we're not throwing it out. Or selling it.

I think we're all 'keepers' of precious things, things that really do have sentimental (or real) value. But some of us (me, for instance) are also 'hangers-on' - of everything that ever comes into the house. It doesn't take long (well, it took us 40 years) to get completely silted up, and when that happens, you've gotta do something about it. So I am.

Kathy G on 1/04/04 at 09:14 (141319)

Well stated, Julie. I know exactly what Dorothy means and I try to look at each article and figure out whether it will mean anything to my children, years from now. Somehow I don't think my old living room drapes or those bags of sheets and towels will but my mother's old china and crystal, which I don't display or even touch for fear of breaking, will definitely be something they'll want.

I have long saved entire newspapers and Time magazines from important news events. My first papers date back to the Kennedy assassination and I've tried to put aside two newspapers when an event that I consider particularly important takes place. I have a box with newspapers from when we first landed on the moon, when the Berlin Wall came down, etc. What will strike future generations as very odd is that while I have newspapers from when my beloved Patriots won the Super Bowl in 2002, I have none from 9-11. I did set those papers aside but my husband didn't realize what they were and he brought them to the dump! Can you just imagine future generations pondering why Great-Grandma thought that the Patriots' win was worth telling future generations about but not 9-11? They'll think I was even stranger than I actually am!

Kathy G on 1/04/04 at 09:54 (141323)

Suzanne,

Good to have you back and I'm glad you had such a peaceful break. Your reaction to the mountains is similar to mine to the ocean. As we get older, we talk about retirement. It's still a ways off but something to consider. Both my husband and I agree that we couldn't possibly live anywhere where we couldn't get to the ocean in a short time. Right now, I can be at the ocean; it doesn't have to be a beach; in about an hour. I can't imagine not being able to.

It's wonderful that nature can bring about that sense of peace within you, isn't it? I feel sorry for people who aren't able to experience it.

Re: Saving old newspapers of momentous events!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/04/04 at 10:55 (141326)

That is so COOL that you have saved newspapers from the Kennedy assassination and other events! I have only one: 'MAN ON THE MOON'. It gives me chills whenever I come across it, and I would never dream of throwing it away or giving it away. Would I sell it? Hmm, I suppose everything has its price, but it would be very high. If anyone has an extra million dollars lying around that they want to spend, I could probably dig it out of the closet.

Interestingly, at the time I was probably the only person on earth who did not know we were attempting to go to the moon. I was a struggling student who couldn't afford the newspaper or a television, and I was up to my eyebrows in my studies. Over my eyebrows! LOL I was swamped. Imagine my surprise when I dropped into a study buddy's apartment to inspire an impromptu study session, and he had the TV on and I got to see men landing on the moon live!!! That was a dream come true. Needless to say, the studying never got done.

I did not save any papers from 9/11, but I have saved the heartbreaking photos on my hard drive. They are hardly ever seen any more in the news media; I suppose that is because they are so hard to view. Yet I go back to them now and then, not for the sensationalism but just so that I will continue to believe and realize that such an unthinkable tragedy actually happened.

I don't think your future generations will believe that you thought the Patriot's win was more important than 9/11, though! I think they would probably say,

'Our great-grandma was so smart! She realized that there would be plenty of 9/11 materials in the library and even in our history books at school, but that a newspaper on the Patriot's win might be a whole lot harder to find!'

Carole C :)

Re: living near the water

Carole C in NOLA on 1/04/04 at 11:20 (141329)

I think about retirement a lot, too. I also have the same desires to be near the ocean (being an oceanographer, and before that growing up on a beach). Here in Louisiana we have no beaches, but there are beaches not too far away in Mississippi, Alabama, and the Florida panhandle.

Although it doesn't sound too attractive, the bayous (swamps) around here are very beautiful and wild. They are everywhere. I know a place just 10 minutes from here where I can look out on a nearly untouched bayou and imagine days long ago when only an occasional settler in a pirogue (flat bottomed boat) could get there. The egrets in the bayous are beautiful, and they occasionally venture into our canal system to feed.

I wouldn't want to live on a bayou, though. Flooding is a huge problem even in dry areas in south Louisiana. Also, the coastal wetlands are sinking very fast, and for example LA Highway 1 has sunk 10' in the past few years. This is a very interesting place to live.

In fact, it would be nearly ideal if we had the lower crime rate that you probably have in the northeast. Crime is a big problem in New Orleans although big efforts are being made to turn that around.

Carole C

wendyn on 1/04/04 at 13:49 (141340)

Carole, when I picture the bayou you are describing - I imagine it with a lot of nasty bugs.

Am I right?

wendyn on 1/04/04 at 13:51 (141341)

I saved both the paper from September 11, and the one from September 12 with all the coverage.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/04/04 at 15:21 (141345)

Well.... yeah..... there is that! LOL

Not only that, but West Nile Virus if you get bitten by mosquitos. I would imagine that up where you are, the poor little mosquitos probably freeze to death every winter! :)

Carole C

wendyn on 1/04/04 at 18:26 (141358)

Oh yes, the mosquitos are long dead. We did have some West Nile here this year, but we would only see mosquitos between maybe May and September. Is a problem for your area year round? The first hard frost we gave - the mosquitos are toast.We have NO bugs to speak of between October and about March.

It's freakin cold out right now, I never went out again today....I will have to though tomorrow to go to work. I think it will go down to about minus 30C tonight. The bugs and the birds are smart to not hang around!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/04/04 at 18:37 (141361)

Yes, we have mosquitos unless the temperatures are near freezing just like you. In the suburbs, where I am, we have mosquito control so they are not too bad. But without that, we'd have a problem. We have to pay for mosquito control on our water and trash bill, every month.

We've been having highs in the upper 70's here lately. If it freezes the bugs die (and the entire state cheers with joy!). However, it hasn't done that yet this year.

Mosquitos here don't hold a candle to the ones I saw in Texas, though. They are truly Texas sized mosquitos!

I don't want to go to work tomorrow, either. I'm just ending a two week vacation.

Carole C

marie on 1/04/04 at 19:39 (141365)

The historical museum, next door, has an entire section of the carriage barn filled with newspapers from the late 1800's on. I have found articles and photos of our home in the newspapers. We had them photo copied and bound as the papers are to fragile to handle. It's a joy to go through and read some of the stories and a real history lesson. So save those papers!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/04/04 at 19:44 (141368)

I will, unless someone offers me a million dollars for the 'Men on the Moon' paper. I admit, I am weak. Any and all bids from $1,000,000 upwards are welcome... :)

Carole C

Dorothy on 1/04/04 at 20:51 (141373)

Well, pardon me. If I am reading your post's tone correctly, I think you are being rude to me. If I am not reading your post correctly, then you are simply being curt. Either way, so what.

JudyS on 1/05/04 at 10:38 (141402)

Suzanne - what is the title of your new CD?

Rick R on 1/05/04 at 11:49 (141409)

Dorothy,

I can't believe a Jean Ritchie reference!! Well stick me with the silver dagger; I'm a folkie from way back. I grew up with the popular sanitized alleged folk music from the 60's but came to appreciate the grittier real thing, as I got big and ugly. The thing I miss most from my single days is the time I used to spend listening to WFMT's midnight special every Saturday night until 2:00AM.

Business has taken me to Knoxville every few months. I have been dragging folks into the Barley, a bluegrass club. I've taken people from California, New York, Amsterdam and Paris into the joint. Last month we had a trip to Gatlinburg planned but the weather didn't cooperate. Personally, I can't play a lick but I'm trying to learn Guitar. My wife got me a simple tin whistle for Christmas how cool was that!! I'm further ahead with the stinking whistle than the guitar.

Rick

John H on 1/05/04 at 15:58 (141430)

I remember like it was yesterday when I saw our guys walk on the moon. I was at the Siam Intercontinetal Hotel in Bankok in the lobby and just happened to be walking by the TV. We did not get much news back at my base as I was on a three day R&R and had no idea that was the day of the landing.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/05/04 at 16:48 (141436)

What similar experiences! You are the only other person I ever heard of who didn't know it was the day of the landing, until seeing it.

Pretty amazing, huh... :)

Well darn, when I saw this post I thought you were going to offer me $1,000,000 for the newspaper with headlines 'Men on the Moon'. LOL

Carole C

Dorothy on 1/06/04 at 02:29 (141467)

You are funny with your silver dagger reference. Barley is a great name for a bluegrass club and I'm glad that bluegrass has admirers; it's wonderful music. I've never tried a tin whistle but like the sound; I play an instrument sometimes that goes by different names: Jew's harp, jaw harp, juice harp - and probably some I don't know. It's a fun little thing to play. If you've ever heard Buffy Saint Marie play, she sometimes plays one. Guitar's not easy but the trying is fun in and of itself. It's a good thing to do and good luck to you but most of all great joyful fun! Marie's husband here is an accomplished guitar player; maybe he/she has tips if one were interested.

Rick R on 1/06/04 at 11:53 (141477)

I'm sure if Marie's husband heard me play he'd recommend I stop! My current capabilities don't go beyond Bob Dylan 4-6 chord stuff. I'm ready for someone to teach me finger picking. My duaghter is a big Dylan fan. However, she's planning our first dance at her wedding to be 'Into The Mystic' by Van Morrison because she couldn't think of a Dylan song to dance to. I gave her homewok, to go listen to Corina Corina. I hope she lets me throw a few other clinkers out there. Speaking of which watch your teeth with that Jew's Harp. I'm not sure what to call it either but I'm pretty darned sure about keeping the teeth out of harms way.

I forget just what tribe but isn't Buffy Saint Marie a native American? I'm hearing one of her songs in my head now but can't for the life of me name it.

Rick

Dorothy on 1/06/04 at 13:04 (141484)

She's Cree and Canadian, although she has lived in Hawaii for years.
'Now That the Buffalo's Gone' maybe? 'Universal Soldier'? There are so many good ones. When I was in college she performed on campus in a small theater-size space. She was on stage with a grand piano and her guitar and a stool. She is tiny but she just took over the instruments and the room. Musically, she is huge! We had bought tickets for the first concert - cheap - and then just stayed in the theater with many empty seats for the second concert. It was a most fabulous performance and she is really gifted. I liked her first two albums (now we call 'em CDs :-) )
but not so much one that was a little psychedelic sounding. Ok, I've gone on and on again. I'm thinking of several lovely songs from Dylan's 'Nashville Skyline' album - so sweet - and agree fully with you about Corinna, Corinna (ever hear Taj Mahal sing it?). I've always liked 'Girl from the North Country' (Michigan, right?).... what about 'Forever Young' - that's a great one. You are so right about the harp and the teeth; I've whacked a few and it hurts and it doesn't help the music either! Ok, I'm stopping now. I guess this is one of those critiqued 'hobby horse' moments. Sheeesh!

Suzanne D. on 1/06/04 at 14:47 (141489)

Judy, it's 'Smoky Mountain Hymns of Faith'. I'm enjoying it!

JudyS on 1/06/04 at 14:56 (141491)

Thanks Suzanne - are you snowed home today?

Suzanne D. on 1/06/04 at 15:03 (141492)

Oh, Dorothy, I wish I could play a dulcimer! Maybe some day when I retire, I might try to take a class. I've really thought about that. I play the piano and can also play the organ a little, and once upon a time I played the autoharp.

That's so nice that you and your husband play and sing together. How special!

Yes, I like Jean Ritchie and have heard of Perry County, of course, but I'd have to look on a map to know where it is. Sometimes I think I would like to just travel throughout Kentucky and see the many places I have missed!

We were near Townsend, TN, not too far from Pigeon Forge in our rented cabin. I like the way you described the mountains ~ as 'wide-open and enveloping at the same time, old and sweet'.

Suzanne D. on 1/06/04 at 16:15 (141497)

No, Judy, school was over for the day when I posted my reply to you. It IS quite cold here, though! There is some talk of a chance of snow by later in the week. We'll see...I hate to wish for a 'snow day' after just now getting back to school, but the thought has crossed my mind...;)

Dorothy on 1/07/04 at 00:43 (141538)

Suzanne ~ I don't think you would have a bit of trouble picking up the dulcimer, either kind. You already have all the skills in place and it would just be a matter of transferring them to one more instrument. You have many talents - you can add one more whenever you decide to give it a go! They make really lovely music. Do you know John McCutcheon's music? He plays hammered dulcimer and has some really nice CDs out. He used to play with another wonderful player, but I am blocking on his name right now. It will come to me later...

Kathy G on 1/07/04 at 08:33 (141548)

No bids from me, Carole! I have two newspapers and the Time Magazine for that event! What's funny is that we were on vacation in Maine when it happened and we had a small, old TV my Dad brought along especially so we could see it as we usually had no TV on vacation. And I wasn't impressed at all! I thought the whole space program was a waste of money! My dad was the one who was totally enthralled. Now, I can see both sides and I'm overwhelmed by the number of products and the knowledge the space program has provided us. Obviously, my father was much more far-sighted that I was!

You know one of the cool things I find when I look back at the old papers are the ads. The prices of things, what they were advertising....the letters to the editor. They are really neat!

If I want to do any decluttering, I stay away from those boxes or I'll waste all my time reading!

Kathy G on 1/07/04 at 08:46 (141549)

Carole,

My daughter-in-law (that still sounds strange to me) travels quite a lot on her job. She went to New Orleans for the first time a few months ago and she was totally taken by the place but she said she was also a bit afraid. She has a friend who lives in the area and she knew of the high crime rate. What blew her mind was the way you can wander from one place to another with a drink in your hand. (I think that was in the French Quarter.) That would never be allowed here in any of the NE states. In fact, it was only about ten or fifteen years ago that they changed the law that made it illegal for you to bring your own drink from a lounge into the restaurant. If your table became ready and you were in the lounge, you had to wait for a waiter to move the drink for you!

She can't wait to go back there on business again and wants my son to visit New Orleans with her for pleasure. It's one of the places my husband would like to visit, too. He was talking to her about how the highway was sinking. It's such an odd place to have built such a beautiful city! He was talking with her at Christmas and telling her about 'Kathy's internet friend' and how you had to have the house checked to make sure the foundation was intact. What is it called when the foundation cracks? Neither of us could remember!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/07/04 at 09:13 (141556)

We even have a number of drive-through daiquarie places here. (Did I spell that right? I don't drink). That certainly surprised me when I first moved here.

Subsidence is a big problem here. It's sinking of the soil, usually due to being built on a reclaimed swamp. Most buildings are built on pilings that go down very deep, but there can still be problems due to subsidence. It's especially bad during drought years. I have seen houses with effects from subsidence that are so bad, that the houses must be demolished.

To combat the effects of subsidence, people in high subsidence neighborhoods have truckloads of river sand dumped in their yards each year. Then they have to hire someone to rake the sand about. The grass isn't killed as it grows through the sand. For some reason, this practice prevents driveways from cracking; I'm not sure how the sand gets under them, but it works. It helps foundations too.

However, some houses built on slabs have to have the sewer lines under the slab redone every few years. They become dislodged due to subsidence, especially if put in a certain way without the high grade hangers. About 20 years ago, some houses in my suburb actually blew up because the gas lines under the slab were dislodged. The gas company offered a free fix for the problem, so that no longer happens.

Subsidence is also what is causing the highways to sink, the prime example being LA-1 that goes down to Port Fourchon.

I love living here, and it would be perfect for me if we had no crime, no hurricanes, and if one could buy a house on solid ground! But choosing where to live is always such a compromise. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/07/04 at 09:20 (141562)

The prices of things in old papers are so low, I agree! But then, at the time of the first moon walk I believe minimum wage was about 1.40/hour.

Carole C

john h on 1/07/04 at 09:29 (141565)

As a senior in high school I performed heavy labor for $.35 hour. A caddy made $1.50 per bag for 18 holes (usually 4 hours) and as we all carried doubles (two bags) you made $3.00 for 18 holes. On a good day you could go 36 holes and no one rode carts so you better not have PF. I remember well that a corsage made of Gardenias cost $3.50 rougly what it took you to earn with 4 hours of carring two golf bags for 18 holes. In those days you were lucky to get a kiss..

Carole C in NOLA on 1/07/04 at 14:49 (141577)

In 1973 I bought a 19' black and white TV for $89. That was probably 45-50 times the hourly minimum wage.

Now, color TVs are getting so cheap. Minimum wage is what, $5.60 maybe? People would be really upset if they had to spend 50 times that for a 19' color TV.

Carole C

Re: John's comment about prices

Kathy G on 1/08/04 at 09:56 (141619)

Dearest John,

Are we to believe that you young men were expecting MORE than a kiss in exchange for a gardenia corsage? Tsk, tsk, and here I thought you were such a fine gentlemen! :))

john h on 1/08/04 at 11:01 (141629)

I saw a 32' color TV a Sams for less than $200. I have just jumped up to High Definition and I will assure you they are no $200 but do those football games ever look great in HDTV.

Kathy G on 1/09/04 at 11:43 (141687)

Oh my, John, I just went on to the Circuit City site because I was going to tell you that our living room wouldn't accommodate a High Definition TV and I see that they don't have to be giagantic. So, we could fit one easily in our room. I would just love one for my football games!

The Patriots are playing the Titans Saturday night in what's predicted to be horrible conditions with windchill factors of twenty below or lower. I hate it when the weather becomes a factor. I know that the Pats play well in snow since they've proved it time and time again. But cold like that is just plain unhealthy for everyone concerned. The field will be like a solid block of ice and I'm so afraid there will be serious injuries from just routine plays. The wind will play all kinds of games with the ball. But, man, it would be cool to be watching it in high definition!

john h on 1/09/04 at 12:29 (141697)

Kathy you can get a HDTV as small as 27' but I think to enjoy it you really need at least a 32' set which is what i got. I did not go the plasma route or rear screen projector. Plama is super but really expensive. They are very heavy. My Panasonic weighs 175 lbs. I would have gone with Sony but the base was about 4' to wide for where I wanted to place it. I think these two are the pick of the litter with Sony being the best. I did not go with the wide aspect ratio as I did not have the width I needed but the standard flat screen is still a killer for viewing. There are a few channels that broadcast 100% in high definition including a Discovery and HBO channel. Some of the shows on Discovery are really something to behold. Some of the National Geographic shows will blow you out of your chair,bed or where ever you watch these. Of Course DVD's are basically high definition and some of the historical multi series specials are on DVD's. I just watched the history of Athens and history of the Muslims which even my wife got caught up with. I use a combination Direct TV/HDTV receiver. Do not buy a HDTV with a built in high definition receiver. With an HDTV even those programs broadcast in normal mode appear twice as clear as your TV scans at least twice as fast. All Monday night football games are in HD and 3-4 of the Sunday games are HD. As time goes on more and more programs will be broadcast in HD. Under the current law all TV's made will have to be HD starting in a few years. Most cable companies require you to rent their HD box if you have a HDTV in order to receive their program in HD.

john h on 1/09/04 at 12:39 (141699)

Kathy: As you probably know on Direct TV you can watch every game every week of all NFL games. You can go football crazy. Same with baseball. A few games are blacked out but for the most part I can see all the Cubs games.