Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

John H! Calling John H!

Posted by Dorothy on 1/03/04 at 18:34 (141273)

John H., if you are around and about these boards, I need to ask you some questions. You have said that you have bought and sold on eBay, right? I have bought (in fact, found great Christmas surprises) there, but never sold. I am interested in selling and have just been reading a little bit there about the process. I see that you have to give them quite a lot of personal information, including checking account info. eBay has a pretty mixed reputation for security and integrity, so I was wondering if you have any tips, advice or anything else from your experiences....
I don't mean the common-sense kind of advice but anything 'insider' that you can share. It seems to me that there is quite a mixed-bag of people on eBay. I recall that you said you have had only good experiences, but I was 'scammed' twice - not large dollars, but any loss hurts. They were deliberate kinds of 'cheating on the margins' so to speak. Anyway, I want to sell some things - what can you tell me? Did you have any hesitation about giving them your checking acct. info? I do and I left the sign-up at that point.... Any advice for the cowardly??

Re: E-Bay

Carole C in NOLA on 1/03/04 at 18:46 (141275)

Dorothy, my daughter buys and sells a considerable amount on e-bay... she supplements her income that way. She has great faith in the e-bay organization itself, and in most (but not all) of the customers.

That's all I know. Do you have to give a checking acct number? If so, it might be worth opening a second checking account just for e-bay, and for your peace of mind. :)

Carole C

Kathy in Ky on 1/03/04 at 23:06 (141288)

I've bought & sold on ebay.(That's how my new Annapolis Birks were purchased) I've had very few problems with the sellers or buyers but would caution everyone to not reply to Ebay emails sent to your home email address. There are scammers out there who pretend to be from ebay & ask for financial info, ebay doesn't do this. They only ask for the info at their website to prevent fraudulent sellers. Overall, we've met some wonderful people on ebay!

Dorothy on 1/03/04 at 23:35 (141297)

Thanks Kathy in Ky for the info. Your warnings about those e-mails are good ones; same is true for PayPal. It is tiresome to have to be so vigilant!

After hearing for several years about those defrauding letters from Nigeria - have you heard about those? - but never having actually seen one before, I can now say that we have seen one. We got one a month or so ago. It is amazing to me that anyone would fall for that.

MARK L on 1/04/04 at 08:45 (141313)

GREED GREED GREED You become a victim because, by nature, people are greedy

Kathy G on 1/04/04 at 09:33 (141320)

I have had wonderful experiences with Ebay, both buying and selling. I don't remember giving them a checking account number; I will have to ask my husband about that. At first, we didn't pay for anything with PayPal but it is so much easier. What my husband did, which I think was really smart, was get a credit card which we use only for PayPal. It has only a $1,000 limit and every time the company tries to raise the limit, he declines. That way, if our card information should get into the wrong hands, the most we'd be out is the $1,000. I took PayPal on only two articles I sold but prefer not to, as they get 3% of the selling price.

My advice would be to pay close attention to feedback. That's why Ebay is so successful. It's self-monitoring. I won't buy from anyone who has more than a few negative feedbacks. And I pay very close attention if they have a large number of sales but the negative feedback is within the last six months. The way I look at it, if someone has been selling for a long time, they may have made errors in the beginning and rectified them. And I figure you can't please all of the people all of the time, so I allow for a few negatives.

I've met some very nice people on Ebay and most of them are very honest. It's fun to buy and sell and my one warning would be not to get involved in a bidding war! I've seen people pay far more than an item is worth because they really get into it and winning becomes their major goal. They lose sight of what they item is really worth!

If you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer them, if I know the answer! You can email me at d m m 0 3 0 @ a o l. c o m without the spaces, of course!

Oh and as for Ebay mail, they clearly mark their email to you and if I have any doubts, I just delete it without opening it as I do any mail I don't recognize. We saw no increase in spam when we opened our Ebay account.

Have fun - you won't believe the things that are available there! Talk about one person's junk being another person's treasure!

Re: E-Bay and yes, it would be nice to hear from John H! NM

Kathy G on 1/04/04 at 09:36 (141321)

NM

Dorothy on 1/04/04 at 16:32 (141349)

Thank you, Kathy G.! Great advice and I especially appreciate your personal experience comments. I keep putting my toe close to the edge of the eBay stream and then drawing back but this year I think I am going to jump in. We have bought a few things, but never sold. You are so right about the 'bidding war' mentality that takes hold. I like to think of myself as practical and smart - but, oh man, I was GONE and off to the races when those last few moments of bidding on something that I really, really wanted were happening. I learned some things about myself in that process - and something to be very careful about. Fun! but I could see the potential for problems. You are right about what can be found there though - so much fun. My husband had been looking for something for several years, spoke to dealers and collectors all over the country - no luck - he was patient and kept looking - found it on eBay, won it for a reasonable price and now happily owns it. Your idea about the credit card is a good one. I have lots to learn! Thanks again...

Kathy G on 1/07/04 at 08:27 (141547)

And I checked with my husband because I couldn't believe we gave them our checking account number but it was too long ago for my little brain to remember. They only have that same credit card number that we gave to PayPal. I don't know many places to which I'd give my checking account number!