Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

11 weeks post ESWT

Posted by cherlyn Z on 1/03/04 at 21:51 (141283)

Dr.Z,
Yesterday marked my 11 week post ESWT therapy. While I feel significantly better, there is still a good deal of pain at the insertion point of both the heels. I have stopped for the most part having the sharp knife like shooting pain. I have just started stretching the toes back as it still hurts to do standing stretches. I have noticed a big shift also of pain to the balls of my feet. I guess overall there is at least a 50% improvement at this point. I still wear my night splints. Some mornings there is first step pain and other mornings no pain. Would you reccomend increased stretching?
Thanks again,
Cherlyn Z

Re: 11 weeks post ESWT

Steve G on 1/04/04 at 01:45 (141300)

Since I think Dr. Z is a bit overworked here lately, I thought I would post a note. I guess that depends on whether your achilles tendon is still tight and whether you have much dorsiflextion(sp?) in your ankle. If you have a fair degree of flexibility you may not need anything over and above the splint. I would also take it easy on stretching your toes back and see if that does not help with the pain in the balls of your feet. There is a good chance that you will continue to shoe improvement in your heels. I think the heeling process continues beyond the 12 weeks.

Julie on 1/04/04 at 02:32 (141303)

I would not advise increased stretching if by that you mean stronger, weight-bearing stretching. The gentle yoga foot exercises would be useful at this stage. You are doing well if you've got a 50% improvement after 11 weeks. Trust the healing process and don't push your luck.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/04/04 at 08:44 (141312)

Thanks Steve,
I have just returned from vacation this week. Glad to be back. I agree 100% with your advice. No stretching if don't have a tight ankle and or achilles tendon. The FDA studies and my experience show that if you have 50% reduction in pain just continue with time. It can take up to one year for complete resolution of pain and healing.

Re: Re:2 weeks since last ESWT treatment.

helen s on 1/04/04 at 17:29 (141350)

Hi, two weeks since my last ESWT treatment here in the UK. So still in hope. After reading all info on this site can anyone tell me if this treatment is the same as US. My pod said yes, but I had no aneisthetic as you have all said. It was unbearable and the level was 14 and was hardly able to walk for the rest of the day. From all I have read it seems to have been the same. I havent yet done any more walking than I would normally, but the last couple of days my pain is very slightly better around the house. My pod told me at least 6 to 12 wks before any benefit. I was given stretching excercises also.

thanks Helen

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/04/04 at 18:11 (141352)

Hi
The only way I can tell you if your treatment was exactly the same would be to know the treatment protocol and the name of the machine. In the USA High energy treatment with a local anesthetic is used. In Canada multiple low energy treatments are used.
It takes over 12 weeks in some cases to see any improvement. I like heat and the use of plantar fascia stretching. The plantar fascia stretching program can be found via the heelspurs.com search engine. Good luck and keep us posted

Pauline on 1/05/04 at 14:06 (141417)

Dr. Z,
I heard that high energy machines are often used without any anesthesia in Europe. Have you heard anything about this?

Dr. Z on 1/05/04 at 17:37 (141440)

Pauline,
I have heard this before. Whether it is true or not I have no idea

Pauline on 1/05/04 at 19:02 (141445)

Must be part of socialized medicine. Ouch