Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I'm telling my feet to start back to school...

Posted by Kathy in Ky on 1/04/04 at 18:24 (141356)

My feet have certainly enjoyed this Christmas break! I hope my PF doesn't flame up tomorrow when I get back into the routine of teaching. I no longer use my walking cast & I'm hoping to survive the week back. I'm not having the constant extreme heel pain when driving but it usually comes back quickly after I'm on my feet all day. I do think the MSM, vitamins & rest have helped me along. To all the other teachers out there- set those alarm clocks!

Re: I'm telling my feet to start back to school...

marie on 1/04/04 at 19:21 (141362)

We're under a winter weather advisory! Two hour delay for the morning....hurray! This is going to be a long week. It's the last week of the grading period, which means finals and new classes starting up. We just started using 'grade machine'. When are they going to come up with something that makes our job easier instead of adding more work to it. Time I could be spending on classroom lessons will now be spent loading grades on the computer. I still have to keep a hand written grade book so now it's double duty. Are any of the other teachers here using computerized grading systems? How do you like them?

Carole C in NOLA on 1/04/04 at 19:41 (141366)

Oh you are SO lucky to be able to sleep in two hours, Marie!

Tomorrow when the alarm rings at 5:30, I will regret sleeping in until 8:30 or 9:00 each morning over the past two weeks of vacation.

Sometimes the so-called benefits of computers are hard to see! The country needs more visionaries who can determine how to use them to save work, rather than make work.

Carole C

Kathy in Ky on 1/04/04 at 21:22 (141378)

There's nothing like a 2 hr. delay! We are just having heavy rains, no snow in the forecast. As for the computer grade system, we use GradeQuick. (I also keep a hard copy in an old fashioned grade book) If there are any glitches or shut downs on our server, we can lose an entire set of grades. We do have a wonderful Tech. director that has worked out most of the bugs & runs a daily backup now to prevent further losses. My daughter's high school has the grades online that enables parents/students to daily check current averages. I feel sorry for the teachers who have to post their grades daily, I would be behind! Our grade period also ends Friday. I teach in Ohio & we will be starting tutoring afterschool next week to prepare for the state Prof. test in March, I'm wondering why I volunteered to tutor- must have been a weak moment!

WendyM on 1/04/04 at 21:22 (141379)

Marie, many of the teachers on my teacher.net ring use gradekeeper and are very happy with it. User friendly and cheap (you can download a copy from the internet). At my school most of us use an excell program with our weighted grades figured in. Self programmed it's flexible and free...even better. Yes you do need to keep the book and the program, but I love the time it saves on the averaging.
Have a good first day back! ~Wendy

SuzanneK on 1/04/04 at 21:35 (141380)

Marie, my district uses a computerized gradebook. I love it. I do keep a paer gradebook as well, especially for the times I enter grades while checking work very quickly. Then I enter grades about 1-2 times a week. What I love is the ability to weight grades easily and to pull up averages quickly, like when a student withdraws and I have to fill out a gradesheet right then. Give it a try. I think in the long run it is a timesaver.

marie on 1/05/04 at 11:13 (141405)

Maybe I should just give this gradebook program a fair chance. Hopefully I will get use to it. I go through about 150 kids a day. It will be hard for me to sit down and enter all their grades. Eventually it will be on line for the kids but I don't see how the specials...like art and phys ed etc....are going to be able to keep up. We have alot more students on a daily basis.

Kathy, I teach in Ohio too! But at the opposite end.

Hope everyone is having a great day back at school!

Suzanne D. on 1/05/04 at 15:48 (141427)

When we have a one or two hour delay, the certified staff still has to come in at the regular time. Our new superintendent made that clear to us last year. He said when we were paid for a full day, we had to be here for a full day.

I always have enough to do that the hour or two passes quickly before the children arrive. But what I didn't like were the two days we got to school on time when a delay was announced only to find out after we arrived that the decision had been made to cancel school.

With the math and reading programs we use, I keep detailed written records on the prescribed forms. But I don't use a computerized grade book. I think the upper grades use them, and I know the middle and high school teachers do.

Today was a good first day back, and all my students were present! Hopefully, the worst of our sickness here is over. I guess we'll see.

I hope everyone else had a good first day back to school (or work)!

Suzanne :)

Carole C in NOLA on 1/05/04 at 16:44 (141435)

That is wonderful, Suzanne, that all your students were able to make it to class today! I hope your class is done with the sickness. Your school sure had a tough time with it.

I had a very nice first day at work. It's amazing how some time off can make work so much more enjoyable!

Carole C

Kathy G on 1/07/04 at 09:22 (141564)

And I envy you all becasue you can go to work! You always want what you can't have!

Glad your first days back went well, everyone!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/07/04 at 17:42 (141590)

You could do my job in a wheelchair, Kathy. You're welcome to it, as long as I get my paycheck and retirement. :)

Carole C

Kathy G on 1/08/04 at 09:59 (141620)

No way, Carole! I've decided that I'm going into business and sell my old newspapers and magazines on Ebay! For the prices you mentioned!!:D

Carole C in NOLA on 1/08/04 at 10:20 (141626)

Sounds like a great plan! :D

Carole