Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How long to wait for surgical consult for TTS post PT?

Posted by Debbie D. on 1/05/04 at 08:55 (141391)

How long should I wait after PT is finished (only 4 treatments left) before I get a surgical consult? The physiatrist who is treating me is recommending surgery as of last Friday, but I don't want to give up hope yet, neither does my therapist. How long post PT does the burning sensations last? Will it take a few months to feel the effects of the PT if the TTS is successfully cured, meaning the burning sensations go away? Are there any good surgeons in the D.C./Baltimore metro areas? Phone numbers and addresses would be helpful in case I need them. And does anyone know of success rates for this type of surgery?

Re: How long to wait for surgical consult for TTS post PT?

marie on 1/05/04 at 17:34 (141439)

I didn't have the surgery. My gp pushed the issue but after talking with a surgeon I decided to wait....boy am I glad I did because I have improved and function at 90-95%. My understanding is that surgery is only suggested if all traditional treatments failed. I went 3 years before I started to see improvement...but everyone is different.

Re: How long to wait for surgical consult for TTS post PT?

Carol D on 1/06/04 at 09:02 (141472)

I had non-invasive treatments for 1 year with no change. I only decided on surgery after an MRI clearly showed a tumor that was causing nerve compression. Surgery was 7 months ago and was quite successful. Every foot with TTS seems to be different. I was advised not to have surgery unless the underlying cause was determined. Good luck in your quest. Carol D.

Re: Carol

Terry D. on 1/06/04 at 22:02 (141529)

Hi Carol I had a tumor too and surgery 7.5 months ago. Is your foot still numb. How is the incision feeling. Can you walk bare foot comfortably?
Thanks,
Terry

Re: Terry

Carol D on 1/07/04 at 07:51 (141545)

Hi Terry. I have no numbness at this time. It took 6.5 months to get full feeling back in middle toe and ball of foot. My incision is comfortable. I rarely walk barefoot, but it feels OK. I do still have some mild tingling in ball and arch of foot and after a couple of days of heavier use, my foot does ache and feel tired. How does this compare to you? I accidentally deleted your email and realize I could have gotten your email address from there. Sorry. Carol D

Re: Terry

Terry D. on 1/07/04 at 19:31 (141595)

Hi Carol you are actually ahead of me. I stll have lots of numbness throughout the whole bottom of the foot. I have almost no tingling but the numbness is uncomfortable.
I'm praying it will go away. If I go hard on the foot I have similar results as you do.
But at least we are pain free.
Terry

Re: surgeons in Placer and Sacramento Counties?

Kathleen K. on 1/09/04 at 13:04 (141701)

Can You please provide me with a list of the very best surgeons in my area, Placer or Sacramento County, who perform Tarsal Tunnel surgery? I have been in chronic pain for the past seven years, tried everything and can't tolerate the pain any longer. HELP! HELP!

Re: surgeons in Placer and Sacramento Counties?

Terry D on 1/09/04 at 20:38 (141748)

Can you go to Dr. Dellon in Tucson....he did mine and the pain is gone.