Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My New Years Message

Posted by Pam S. on 1/05/04 at 15:44 (141426)

Hi Everyone!
I know I have not been posting much but I wanted to wish all of you a very happy, healthy start to this new year. I really have appreciated all the help I have received from so many of you all since i found this board less than a year ago. I am trying not to THINK too much about FEET so I am not posting as much but I still check in and will try to participate when I can.

Here's my funny question that has nothing to do with anything important!! Do any of you lose things in your house and never find them???? This past year I lost my favorite pair of earrings, sandles from spring break (maybe I left them in the hotel but you all know what a LOSS this is, my favorite lipstick (I know this is LAME) my favorite visor (getting lamer) Isn't it frustrating to lose things you really like. It's not even the money it costs, it is the time it takes to replace things. Right? OK if you have a minute, do you all do the same thing or is the Neurontin really destroying what few brain cells I have left. Take care and my best to all of you. Warmly, Pam

Re: My New Years Message

Carole C in NOLA on 1/05/04 at 16:40 (141434)

Pam, I just started wearing reading glasses. I have a nice little compact pair of reading glasses that came in a tiny metal case. They only cost $8 but they are so convenient to just throw in my purse, or whatever... much moreso than most reading glasses.

I lost them! I looked everywhere, high and low for them. Where could they be? I searched my office and my home from top to bottom. I even looked under the furniture, in case they might be there, and under the sofa cushions. No luck at all.

Finally I gave up and spent a morning going from store to store looking for similar reading glasses in a hard, compact case. (I had bought them down in the French Quarter, and didn't want to go back down there in traffic). I finally found some, and although the magnification was a bit too strong, I bought them for $12.

As I arrived home, I decided to clean out any trash in my car before taking it to the car wash. I looked under my seat, and... voila! There were my glasses. I hadn't even got the new ones into the house yet. I kept reaching under my seat, and... oh my! I found the lid to my car mug, which I lost two years ago.

I think it's gremlins. :)

Carole C

marie on 1/05/04 at 17:29 (141438)

I don't know if it's the neurontin or not but I loose things all the time. Little things...and it's always such a pain to look for them. If I listed everything I have misplaced in the past year it would eat up this message board. I know if there was ever a Misplacer's Anonymous I'd be the president....accept I'd probably loose the membership list.LOL

Pam S. on 1/05/04 at 17:52 (141441)

Carol,
Don't even get me started on reading glasses. I am so bad my sister sent me BOX of them for my Christmas present from her complete with the band/necklace so I will not lose them. Don't worry she got them at the Dollar Store and they are all adorable. How long can I hang on to them.

I'm so happy for you that you found yours. That is the BEST day when you locate something you are looking for. I have given up on my earrings but it is really a mystery.

I too am trying to get organized. I think the best way is to carry around three large garbage bags while doing the job. One for good will, one for garbage and one for keepers. Also, I bought a hanging jewelry organizer so maybe I can locate things when I am in a hurry to get ready.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/05/04 at 19:31 (141447)

Pam, Thanks! You made me feel better about losing my reading glasses. I was beginning to think I was getting CRS ('Can't Remember Stuff'). I will have to check out the ones at the Dollar Store! Thanks for the tip.

Carole C

JudyS on 1/05/04 at 19:35 (141450)

Pam - your question reminded me of the 'clutter-cleanout' thread that started here the other day.....I always surprise myself at how many lost articles I find when I do a serious clutter cleanout!

Lari S. on 1/05/04 at 20:44 (141455)

I just had to laugh. We spent a good portion of last night and today looking for the DirecTV remote control. My husband had it in his hands when we turned on the TV to watch LSU beat O at 5 PM. That's the last we saw of it. I bought a 100 ft roll of stereo wire to install the surround sound system we got for Xmas. I've been looking for it since the 25th. We live in the Bermuda Triangle! Things are ALWAYS walking away, some never to be seen again. The best was 2002 Thanksgiving when the Cool Whip departed some time between sitting on the bar to defrost and dessert. It has still not shown up. It's a known 'black hole' area here!
Lari

Julie on 1/06/04 at 01:20 (141466)

Judy, you can say that again. I have been astounded at the lost stuff I've unearthed - plus stuff that I lost so long ago I'd even forgotten I lost it.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/06/04 at 06:43 (141469)

Lari, I hate to imagine where your Cool Whip might have disappeared to! Let's hope it accidently fell in the trash, and hasn't just been unrefrigerated and under something for 14 months. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D. on 1/06/04 at 14:53 (141490)

Right now I'm looking for my GLOVES, Pam! It's COLD here now, and I need them!

I had just remarked two or three weeks ago that these gloves had surely been worth their money. I got them probably twenty years ago, and I always keep them in my coat pockets. We've had some unseasonably warm weather, and I didn't even take them or my heavy coat on our trip to the mountains. But then when it got colder yesterday, they weren't where they were supposed to be. Now where in the world have I misplaced them?!

And I don't even take Neurontin...:-s

Suzanne :)

Pam S. on 1/06/04 at 18:41 (141500)

Suzanne: I am starting a counseling service now for those of us who have lost items. HAAA I do hope you find your gloves. I needed mine today as well as long johns (which of course I could not find) I keep all my outer wear, gloves, scarves in a basket or plastic bin at the door I walk into from my garage. My garage is attached to my house and I am grateful for that every single day in the winter. I put my gloves and everything in there. If only I could get my daughter to do the same. I tried bins with our names on them but that did not work. I have found gloves in other coat pockets. Sometimes they fall out of the car door, however. I hope that did not happen in your case.

I guess the worse things to ever happen is to lose your wallet and my husband lost his this past year. That is truly bad when that happens. Here's to warmer weather and Suzanne finding her gloves!!!!!!

Suzanne D. on 1/06/04 at 18:59 (141506)

Thanks, Pam! I had to go out a few minutes ago, and my hands feel like they are almost frost-bitten!

Yes, I agree: losing your wallet must be about the worst thing you can lose. That happened to me three years ago. Actually, worse than losing it, it was stolen by the mother of a little girl in my room.

I took it with me on my way out with the children at the end of the day so that I could pay a parent for some Girl Scout cookies I had ordered. I came back into my room, laid my billfold down on a desk near the back of the room because I went back there to get something. Then I hurried across the hall to a faculty meeting, absently leaving it on the desk.

Just as the meeting was starting, I noticed the mother going into my room. I knew she was coming to get her sick child's work; I had expected her earlier in the day. So I got up to go see if she found the papers which I had placed in her cubbyhole. It occured to me as I spoke with her that she seemed unnecessarily nervous and anxious to get out of the room. I dismissed this as her reaction to my having to leave the meeting to come and help her and her normal shyness.

Then after the meeting, I discovered that my billfold was gone when I picked up my purse. It took me awhile to remember where I had laid it. I searched and searched the room. Then the mother's strange reaction came to my mind, but I didn't want to think she could have done it. But I finally called her and just said that I had somehow lost my billfold and just wondered if she had seen it when she came in. She immediately said, 'I didn't take it!' I think I knew then...

Then her child missed two or three more days of school, and the principal and counselor went to check on her after seeing her out in the yard playing. While there, the counselor calmly but firmly said, 'I think you may have taken Mrs. Dennis' billfold. You know that's not right. Why don't I walk with you while you go get it?'

And after some hesitation, she did. I was so thankful to have it back and so appreciative of the counselor making the effort to try to retrieve it. The twenty dollars I had was gone, but nothing else.

I'll never forget the child's face the next day as she entered my room. She barely poked her face inside and looked imploringly at me. I smiled quickly and said, 'Oh, I'm so glad you're back! Come give me a hug. We've missed you.' She gave an audible sigh of relief and nothing else was said.

The mother did send a note asking if I would forgive her. Of course I said I would and that I hoped this experience had helped her learn a lesson. As far as I know, the experience hasn't been repeated. I hope not - for her sake as well as her daughter's.

Well...I hadn't thought of that for awhile! I didn't really intend to write out that whole story, but your mention of your husband's wallet brought it to mind.

Here's to finding all our lost items!

Pam S. on 1/06/04 at 19:26 (141508)

Suzanne:
That is certainly quite a story. You handled is beautifully as I know you have other situations in the past in your classroom.

I think the story is rather sad. Could it be that the Mom really needed that $20.00. Of course, what she did was wrong but you wonder sometimes what hardship does to people. There are also situations where people have sticky fingers and just can't help themselves.

The important thing is that the CHILD felt OK and thats what really matters. Can you imagine knowing your Mom had done something like that?

Here's to warm hands tomorrow. I DO hope you find those gloves!!!Warmly, Pam - and I do mean WARM (I am dreaming it is soooo cold here....)

Re: Carole's glasses

Necee on 1/06/04 at 22:58 (141530)

Carole, as I was reading your post about loosing your glasses, I was thinking about places they might be.....I was going to suggest that you look on top of your head! A few weeks ago I was searching high and low for my reading glasses, when I looked in the mirror I found them perched on top of my head!
The sad thing about this is....its happened more than once.

Necee

Kathy G on 1/07/04 at 09:00 (141552)

Speaking of glasses, my husband needs them for reading and he has two pair: one he keeps by the bed for reading and the other he keeps at work. For the rest of the time, he has those Magnivision (sp?) type that I pick up at the local Brooks Pharmacy when they go on sale. They sell for $10 but every three months or so, they have an $8 off coupon in the flyer for them. He has glasses near the computer, glasses in the living room, glasses in the basket in the middle of the kitchen tables, glasses on top of the frig, glasses in the bathroom......need I go on? Every couple of days, I go around and collect the glasses and put them in one place, knowing full well that a few days later, they will be all over the house! But he never loses his glasses!

About those Magnavision ones, and I don't know why I can't remember how to spell the word, they make these nifty glasses that fold up and fit into a small case. I carry a pair in my purse for him in case he forgets his own so that if we go someplace, he has them. I get those when they go on sale, too.

One of the advantages of having strabismus is that I'm near-sighted in one eye and far-sighted in the other. I only use one eye at a time so I just automatically switch to the eye I need to use. I do have a bit of astigmatism in one eye that will catch up to me sooner or later but right now, I don't need glasses. I remember the eye doctor telling me that when I hit forty and all my friends were wearing glasses, I wouldn't need to. I was only eleven at the time and facing my sixth eye operation so it was little consolation but now I know what he meant!

Necee on 1/07/04 at 10:48 (141568)

I need reading glasses.....so, I have them stashed everywhere. There is a pair beside the nightstand, and of course I have them next to my computer, I leave a pair in the Suburban, and then I have 2 pair that I keep in my purse! I found a place that sells those thin reading glasses that come in the cute little slim metal cases, they sell for $2 each! So naturally I bought several pair, I love em! And of course, can't function without them either!

Happy trails...

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 1/07/04 at 17:38 (141588)

I did find my reading glasses, under the driver's seat in my car.

I only have four pairs of reading glasses, now.

The first pair that I bought stays by the computer.

The second pair that I bought were the cute little ones in the little metal case that I posted about. They stay in the pocket of my purse.

The third pair I bought at K-mart across the street from work, when I forgot to take my reading glasses to work one day. They're cute too with pink rims and they stay by my computer at work. They were cheap and they became half broken after only an hour's use.

The fourth pair I bought to replace the ones in my purse. They are too strong, but in a convenient small tube case like the purse glasses. I put these in front of the TV where I read my mail, so that I can see the fine print on the ads!

Carole C

Kathy G on 1/08/04 at 10:02 (141622)

My younger sister needs reading glasses and refuses to admit it! I bought her a pair in those neat little tubes you mentioned but she won't use them. I told her that she's going to make herself more wrinkled from squinting so much to see the fine print but she is very stubborn. It's crazy because she looks younger than her age (46) and she also looks great in glasses!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/08/04 at 10:19 (141625)

One of these days she'll discover that squinting no longer works, and then she'll be glad she has the reading glasses. :)

Carole C

Re: Pam, I found my gloves!

Suzanne D. on 1/08/04 at 22:10 (141659)

I am happy to report that I found my leather gloves this afternoon! :D I had looked and looked throughout the house and my classroom. But it didn't make sense, because for years I have always taken the gloves off and put them directly into my coat pockets. I just couldn't imagine laying them somewhere in the house or at school.

Finally, I remembered that during Christmas break, I once sat in the back seat of our van (which I rarely do) so that my son-in-law could sit up front with my husband. And it occured to me that during the ride, I could have taken them off and placed them in the pocket of the seat in front of me since it is hard to put them in my pockets with a seatbelt on. Sure enough, there they were! What a relief.

I just thought I'd let you know I found them! We've been having some cold days, and I have missed them.

Speaking of cold weather, it's snowing now, and we're expected to have about an inch. Necee, wish I could send some to you!

Suzanne D. on 1/08/04 at 22:17 (141660)

Yes, it's reading glasses for me, too, Carole! Since my students' writing, as well as books for them, are usually fairly large print, I needed them first for playing the piano at church. I bought a couple of cheap pairs, and they worked fine.

Then last fall, I was at a wedding rehearsal and realized (with almost panic!) that I couldn't wear them to see the music and then look up frequently to make sure I knew when the bridesmaids were down and the bride was about to make her entrance. Timing is so essential in playing for a wedding, and the people looked like 'blobs' through these reading glasses!

So, the next morning I went to Target and bought a pair of 'half-glasses' so that I could look over them to see the wedding party. I really don't care for how they look on me, but I'd rather look 'old' than mess up a wedding because I can't see! #-o

Carole C in NOLA on 1/08/04 at 22:37 (141662)

Sometimes reading glasses look 'distinguished' rather than looking 'old'. I don't really know what I think of mine, yet.

But I do know that I can see better with my contact lenses, and if I wear my contacts then I need reading glasses to read. I like the way that they magnify things, too. My big computer screen seems even bigger! :)

Carole C

Re: That's great!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/08/04 at 22:38 (141663)

I'm so glad that you found your gloves. :D

Carole C

Suzanne D. on 1/09/04 at 08:08 (141670)

Thanks, Carole! I know that in the scheme of life, my gloves weren't very important, but I'd had them for so long, and it really bothered me to lose them. It was a nice thing to happen yesterday afternoon.

I've been diligently working this week on my goal of reducing clutter in my basement. And in the midst of that, I was going through a box of pictures, programs, etc. which had gotten a little wet in the basement (another problem requiring me to go through things - a leak), and I came upon a sealed envelope. I had it almost open before I realized what was inside - pictures of my mother in the casket.

I didn't want the pictures to begin with 15 years ago, but my brother-in-law was trying to be nice and insisted I take them in the envelope in case I changed my mind later. I wish I hadn't found them, or at least that I hadn't looked once I had the envelope open. I know they were just pictures, and it certainly doesn't change the fact that she is not here, but somehow, seeing them really bothered me. So I have been struggling with that all week.

BUT...I found my gloves, AND we are out of school for snow today!! :D That always makes me feel like a little kid!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/09/04 at 08:52 (141673)

Suzanne, actually I do know more or less what you mean about those photos. My mother insisted on giving me the last photos of my father which were taken in 1982, when he was in the last stages of terminal cancer. I dread looking at them and I try to skip that page when I look at my albums.

I would rather remember my father as the person he was during most of his life. Before he got cancer he was not so skeletal, yellow, frail, and sickly looking, and instead he was full of energy with sparkling, decisive looking eyes, shiny thick hair, a pink complexion, a dynamic personality, and always on the chubby side.

I know that his illness was a part of his life, but he only looked that bad during the last few months when he was in severe pain and 'zonked' on the super strongest pain meds that stole his capability for rational thought. I hate to be reminded of what he had to go through. I don't look at those photos if I can help it, but yet I can't bring myself to destroy them.

Moving on to other topics - - sounds like you are making great progress in de-cluttering your basement! Nothing like a leak to give one some extra motivation. Yesterday I read some of the decluttering suggestions on http://www.flylady.com . I don't remember if someone here mentioned that website, or if our discussion reminded me of it. It's very helpful for staying ahead of the clutter.

We don't have snow here, but I'm not at work either! Last night I made the mistake of drinking the largest size of iced tea that Wendy's restaurant offers. Since I have eliminated my morning coffee this week (along with beginning Weight Watchers again), I seem to be more sensitive to the caffeine in the tea. I stayed up all night long, and couldn't sleep a wink. So this morning, I was abysmally exhausted and in no condition to work, and called in sick.

It should be an enjoyable day, because I can nap when I need to and enjoy the rest of it. :)

Carole C

Julie on 1/09/04 at 09:35 (141675)

Carole, I want to thank you for Flylady! After three weeks of non-stop de-cluttering I was starting to run out of steam, but Flylady has re-inspired me. I've made it a 'Favourite' (that's Mac-speak for Bookmark for you unregenerate PC-ers) and will be using it a lot. It's full of good tips, as you said. I've only just begun to cruise around the site, but here's a bit that I specially like:

What to declutter? Things to ask yourself as you get rid of your clutter:

* Do I love this item?
* Have I used it in the past year?
* Is it really garbage?
* Do I have another one that is better?
* Should I really keep two?
* Does it have sentimental value that causes me to love it?
* Or does it give me guilt and make me sad when I see the item?

Cleanse this room of everything that does not make you SMILE.

Nice criteria, every one. I wish I'd known them when I started - it would have made the project easier and quicker. 'Do I Love This item' has to be the bottom line.

Thanks! :)

Carole C in NOLA on 1/09/04 at 09:48 (141677)

Glad you like it! The Flylady inspires me when housework mounts up, and her ideas work (for me, anyway). I like the anti-clutter advice, and I especially like the way she cleans her kitchen sink all the time. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D. on 1/09/04 at 09:48 (141678)

Thank you, thank you for the site, Carole! I have just looked at it for a few minutes, but I think it is just what I need!

And, thanks for the support and understanding.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/09/04 at 10:05 (141681)

You're very welcome! There's a lot to read on the flylady site, just as there is on the heelspurs site, and I find it helpful also.

Carole C

Kathy G on 1/09/04 at 11:35 (141686)

That's a great site. Thanks, Carole!

I have a strep throat and the wind chill factor is twenty below zero so it will be a while before I venture into the basement to do any cleaning!

I was fine and last night, we had pizza and it had been overcooked. I thought the crispy crust cut my throat. Nothing like being stupid! Then later on, I thought that this felt exactly like the strep throats I used to get when I was a kid. I called and got to see the doctor at 11:15 and he said, without a doubt, it's strep. So I will now put on my jammies and curl up with a book because I feel lousy!

Between the ages of 12 and 16, I had so many strep throats it was unbelievable. I haven't had one since I was 16 but I discovered it's a pain you don't forget! How strange that I got one now! But the antibiotic used to kick in pretty quick so I'm hoping it still will!

Suzanne, glad you found the gloves and sorry you found the pictures. My parents were both cremated and luckily, neither of them was sick for very long before they died. My last pictures of them are nice ones. Try to remember what your mother looked like when she was alive and vibrant. Easier said than done, I know, but those pictures shouldn't be the way you remember your mother.

Re: strep

Carole C in NOLA on 1/09/04 at 12:08 (141696)

Kathy, I hope you keep warm with that strep throat and the cold weather! Good thing that you saw the doctor and got the right antibiotic so quickly.

Carole C

Suzanne D. on 1/09/04 at 14:55 (141712)

Yes, Kathy, get well soon! @};- I'm sorry to hear you have strep. I remember having it about 10 years ago. At the time, I thought, 'Oh, so THIS is how my daughters feel when they have strep throat!' (They had it a lot as children.) And it was no fun.

Take care, and thanks for the wise advice and for caring.

Pauline on 1/09/04 at 22:30 (141755)

Kathy,
The one thing I remember about Strep is if it isn't the resistant strain it's very curable and you begin to feel better fast with the correct medication.

I remember when my children were sick as youngsters and I had to take them to the doctor I would sometimes hope it wasn't just a cold because I knew if it was Strep they would begin to feel better within 24 hrs. A cold would drag them down for days.

This was way before the new resistant strains showed up and well before antibiotics were handed out like candy.

The doctor we had never believed in pills or that pink liquid for Strep they always got that big painful shot. I still remember it sooooo well it was white and thick and used to really hurt as it went in.

It lasted 10 days and began working quickly. This way you never had a child not wanting to take the medication. It was aleady inside before you left the doctors office.

I don't think they do this any more which is probably better for the kids and any adults who might have a serious reaction to the medication. If your going to react its far better to have one pill inside you than to have a 10 day supply.

Times have changed for the better I think in this case.

Hope you feel better soon.

Re: Germs

wendyn on 1/10/04 at 09:56 (141767)

Kathy - I do hope you feel better soon! There are some nasty flus and bugs going around this year.

Germs really scare me. Actually, much more this week since I did some reading on two particular germs. My friend's one month old baby is in the hospital being treated for a very serious bladder infection. The hospital cannot understand how he got it, since these are two very nasty bugs that usually only sicken peope who are already very weak (i.e. cancer/icu patients).

He has both psudomonas and enterococcus. The psudomonas tends to be very resistant to antibiotics - so it is particularly scary. I should NOT have looked it up on the internet, and I certainly won't be passing on what I read to my friend (I really hope she hasn't been near a computer to look it up herself). I'm hoping to go see her today; she's been living at the hospital for a week, and he's expected to be in for at least one more - but maybe longer.

Suzanne D. on 1/10/04 at 10:24 (141775)

I will keep your friend's baby in my prayers, Wendy! My daughters were each in the hospital as babies - one at 4 months and the other at 9 months - both with pneumonia.

The days and nights drag by so when you are there constantly with nothing to keep you company but your fears. I'm sure she will appreciate your visit so much! A friend of mine stopped by even though it was 30 below zero at the time by daughter was in the hospital. (I remember the temperature well because one thing I spent my time doing was looking out the hospital window at a bank across the street which showed the temperature on a big sign.) I'll never forget her kindness; it really helped.

wendyn on 1/10/04 at 10:51 (141778)

Thanks Suzanne, I am very worried about the baby (as I mentioned, I'm a seasoned worrier).

She called me on Thursday morning and I would have gone to the hospital right then, but they were putting in a central line for the medicine. I understand that the IV antibiotics are very irritating to his veins - so they were moving the IV site every day or so. On Wednesday, she watched as they poked him in 11 different places trying to find a good vein. She almost lost her mind. Understandable - watching someone stick pins into your baby could easily be classifed as a form of brutal psychological torture.

Her message yesterday said that he was doing better since they put the line in (this is a tube by his neck that will allow them to administer the drugs without poking him over and over for IV).

Fortunately, we do have a top-notch children's hospital, and I know he is getting first rate care. I guess this would be so much worse if they'd had to travel a long distance to a hospital on top of everything else.

That must have been very scary to have two babies in the hospital with pneumonia. We've had a couple of frigtening events with our kids, but they were short lived - and probably far more serious in our minds than they really were. Still, we were emotional disasters from the stress, so I simply cannot imagine what this poor mom is going through (first time mom too).

john h on 1/12/04 at 09:28 (141862)

A guy who is on a sports board I have frequented for years has been in ICU for over 10 days with a tracheomoty as a result of complications of the flu. He had flu symptoms but went to a NFL game on a Sunday anyway and then was admitted to the ICU the following day. He came out of ICU on Saturday and had the tube removed. Age in early 50's.