Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Can I walk after EPF?

Posted by Shell D. on 1/05/04 at 16:16 (141432)

I'm scheduled to have EPF surgery on Friday and my Dr said I'll be able to walk right away with a surgical shoe. Won't this hinder my healing?

Re: Can I walk after EPF?

april l on 1/05/04 at 20:35 (141454)

Right away? That's doesn't sound right. Three days of no walking except for bathroom, and for that the surgical shoe. That's what my doctor told me to do.

BrianJ on 1/05/04 at 22:27 (141459)

I would seriously consider delaying the surgery if this is the advice your doctor gave you. Time for a second (and perhaps more realistic)opinion.

Bud P on 1/06/04 at 19:53 (141510)

Excellant advice Brian. That doctor must be on a different page.I'd say 3 days before you try to walk and use the boot.

Charles G on 1/06/04 at 21:40 (141521)

I was given the same line b4 my epf. I walked out of the hospital and was limited to the boot for a week. Spent that time at home but did do some walking around the house. 3 months later and I am still not close to healing. My advice, get a 2nd opinion if this is what your pod told you. I didn't and regret it. My pod told me I would be completely healed in 4-8 weeks, not even close. I am considering going to another dr. to see what i need to do. wish i had known about this sight b4 surgery. would have helped me with what my pod was telling me and what is reality.

dave r on 1/07/04 at 07:46 (141544)

I am not a doctor but There have been studies on the epf procedure and the claim is that you are suppose to walk after the surgery. This will allow the plantar fascia to actually heal in a 'longer' position.Since the doctor is unable to really see much sometimes some of the medial fibers are missed during the surgery or there can be nerve damage. At one time i think that the epf procedure was considered to show promising results as the best procedure available. Im sure that it is a probably the easiest procedure and the fastest. But alot of doctors prefer the open procedure, this will allow them to actually feel the fascia while they are cutting it. The medial fibers are the thickest and the central fibers are the thinnest.When the doctor is in there cutting the fascia he is able to feel the difference.
Personally I had the open procedure done 11 months ago. Mt doctor cut aproximately 30 to 50 percent of the facia. I can feel a scar that seems to go through the medial fibers and halfway through the central fibers. The surgery site actually heeled rather quickly, it only took about 8 weeks. But It actually took another 5 or 6 months for the original heel pain to calm down. Im sure that this is due to the fascia actually getting some rest. Most of my pain is gone now. I know longer have any insertional pain. However my foot still gets sore. My activity level has finally gone up without any setbacks. Personally i dont think that my doctor cut enough of the fascia during the procedure but he claims that he will not cut any more because of the complications that can occur when the cuboid joint has to take up all the load.
I do plan on having my other foot done sometime this year. The actuall procedure was a piece of cake for me. I really only had surgery pain for a day or so. My foot did feel better right away which was a huge relief since I was very afraid of what could happen.

dave r on 1/07/04 at 07:56 (141546)

here is a good article that explains alot about the procedure. I know that there has been a few people on this board that have had failed epf's. Im sure that Brian can relate...