Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

one leg too long

Posted by donna s. on 1/06/04 at 13:13 (141485)

If one leg being too long is a cause for pf or heel spur, can an individual measure their own leg length?

Re: one leg too long

francesc on 1/06/04 at 15:23 (141495)

hi donna,

i'm not a doctor but, i also have one leg longer than the other. it's about 1/2 to 2/3 inch longer on the left.

i don't think you can do it yourself because they need you to be in a neutral position like lying down and they measure from your hip socket down. my physical therapist measured it for me. i think it would be hard for you to do an accurate measurement.

hope this helps,
frances

Aly on 1/06/04 at 16:27 (141498)

Hi Donna,

Any chiro should be able to tell you if you have a leg length discrepancy. :)

Richard, C.Ped on 1/07/04 at 09:02 (141553)

I would get an accurate measurement..then have a heel lift made.

Mike W on 1/08/04 at 09:47 (141617)

Hello Donna,

If you have never broken your shorter leg then you should have your hip and pelvis area checked. Quite often a very tight quad or hamstring can pull your hip/pelvis/lower back out of alignment. There are effective exercises for this condition.

Regards,

Mike W

Julie on 1/08/04 at 11:53 (141637)

Leg lengths can also appear to differ due to scoliosis (S-curvature of the spine). This is considered a functional discrepancy - i.e. the legs are the same length, but the pelvic is skewed due to the spinal curvature so that they seem to be different lengths. In such a case, an elevation may not be the answer.

If you aren't sure, look at yourself in a full length mirror. If one shoulder and/or hip seems to be higher than the other, and one hand hangs lower than the other, scoliosis is probably the cause.