Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PLAYING TENNIS

Posted by RACHAEL T. on 1/06/04 at 15:37 (141496)

Thanks for replying, Brian J. Hmm, I 'think' I am sooo much better than before - but I was really, really BAD 2-3 yrs. ago. But, at this point, I am pretty much OK if I am in house & doing just 'house' things on carpeting & such. I can throw in a day of shopping & do limited barnchores if I 'budget' my feet the day after - I do ride my horse a couple of times weekly - & yes, I am usually ok after the ride...but walking in the sawdust arena or walking on the clay or cement barn aisles sets my feet off....I take ibup. for that pain & I try to rest & rehab the next day .... yes, I would like my old feet back, BUT, truly I am happy that they are as good as they are now....I shall continue to try to find something, though, that makes the 'whole' again! Presently, I am trying SDOs & they are comfortable....I tried them over a year ago & they were unbearable...but then, my feet were worse. You asked where is my pain? When wearing normal orth. from Phys. Therap. or the ones from podiatrist - I had forefoot pain as well as heel & insertional point, & arch pain...with the SDOs, I am no longer having forefoot pain - but I've intermittent heel pain but it is bearable at this point. From time to time in the past - I had achilles pain too, but that seems to be at bay presently. I re-tried the SDOs as I was having secondary toe issues with the pod orthotics as the arch was built up soooo high that my toes were 'reaching' for the ground. That has been eliminated by the SDOs. Hope this is understandable....but on the whole, I should say - I had sore foot EVERYwhere, top, bottom, under, & around....Now, it seems to be more managed.

Re: PLAYING TENNIS

SteveG on 1/06/04 at 23:50 (141537)

Rachael - glad to hear that the forefoot pain is better. I may have to take a look at the SDOs, since you were my mentor on the Brooks with the heel lift :). I too am better these days, and I am thankful for it. The other day I took my wife to see the Stars on Ice show here at the Seattle Center. We got confused as we left the Arena and came out on the opposite side from where our car was parked. I realized that I would have to walk at least 20 minutes across concrete to get back to the car. I told my wife that I was not sure I could do it. I could see my wife glancing at me as we walked to see how I was holding up. It was the farthest I have walked in 21/2 years, and my feet were only slightly more sore when we got home. I year ago I could not have attempted a walk like that.

So you and I do need to be thankful for the progress we have made and we need to continue to look for ways to get even better. I will take a look at the SDOs

Re: PLAYING TENNIS

RACHAEL T. on 1/07/04 at 12:33 (141571)

Seems like we are on the same page again Steve G. Yes, I am wearing SDOs in my Brooks Ariels; & Dr. K has been more than cooperative & kind w/ this attempt....my 2nd attempt in trying to wear them. I tried & failed last yr. when my feet were sooo bad. Anyway, I am soon off to Fla. for 2 mos! (I know, LUCKY ME!!) So, I shan't be around the boards for that duration - unless I hit a library there w/ pc availability. If so, I shall post then & 'catch up' on the board posts!! In the interim, yes, tell Dr. K that you want to try them & that you apparently are at a similar level in healing as I am. At present, I think the SDOs are adjusted fine for me for normal living - I at times, think that the left (my bad foot) may need a little more liquid - but I am waiting to see with the Fla. retreat where I plan to swim alot as foot therapy; & bike & walk some to strengthen my feet.....then, when I return, I shall re-eval. them. Maybe after I do those exercise therapies, I shall be ok - that is my quest/hope!