Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

For Heather

Posted by marie on 1/07/04 at 18:42 (141594)

This is some info on magnesium and early menopause...also fibromyalgea

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=3463950&dopt=Abstract

Re: For Heather

Dorothy on 1/07/04 at 23:27 (141606)

Marie ~ Since that was written almost twenty years ago in 1986 and the thinking on hormone treatments in general has changed so dramatically since then, I wonder if this would still hold true, even for fibromyalgia as opposed to other reasons for HRT. Do you know if that is still the recommendation? Estrogen replacement has gone from being the supposed cure-all to being the supposed cause-all (slight exaggeration there..)
Anyway, if it is an effective for fibromyalgia, that would be some good news for those who have that problem, wouldn't it?

Dorothy on 1/07/04 at 23:27 (141607)

Marie ~ Since that was written almost twenty years ago in 1986 and the thinking on hormone treatments in general has changed so dramatically since then, I wonder if this would still hold true, even for fibromyalgia as opposed to other reasons for HRT. Do you know if that is still the recommendation? Estrogen replacement has gone from being the supposed cure-all to being the supposed cause-all (slight exaggeration there..)
Anyway, if it is an effective treatment for fibromyalgia, that would be some good news for those who have that problem, wouldn't it?

marie on 1/08/04 at 20:31 (141656)

I don't really know but there has been a great deal of research coming out about Magnesium. All I know is that the magnesium has helped.

Dorothy on 1/09/04 at 00:11 (141665)

Marie ~
Maybe I missed something because I thought the article that you posted was about estrogen, not magnesium. Did I miss a magnesium post in this thread?? I read what (I thought) you had posted and didn't see anything in addition to that so I'm a little confused...I'll go back and see.
If what you posted is about magnesium, then ignore what I previously said about the 1986 reference.

Dorothy on 1/09/04 at 00:14 (141666)

Ok, I have cut and pasted what I am getting when I click on the link you posted. I am only going over this because if you were intending to post something about magnesium, you might want to look for it again, because this is about estrogen, as far as I can tell. Therefore, my previous post stands. Whew, this is exhausting! Following is your post:

Postgrad Med. 1986 Sep 15;80(4):165-7, 170-1. Related Articles, Links

Fibromyalgia and menopause. Examination of the relationship.

Waxman J, Zatzkis SM.

Women predominate at all ages among patients diagnosed as having primary fibromyalgia. Of 100 patients reviewed, the average age at onset of fibromyalgia was 46. Of 65 patients in whom menopause occurred before diagnosis of fibromyalgia, the average age at menopause was 42, and most of these women had menopause related to surgery and insufficient estrogen therapy. Estrogen deficit is, thus, a prominent promoting factor in the majority of fibromyalgia patients and is likely to have an effect on sleep, mood, and anxiety state. These emotional responses may subsequently be somatized as pain. Therefore, estrogen therapy should be added to the treatment armamentarium for fibromyalgia in selected patients.

PMID: 3463950 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

marie on 1/11/04 at 21:09 (141845)

Sorry Dorothy. This was a link to a great article on magnesium, fibromyalgea and early menopause. It has changed. I should have checked it. I have the entire article pasted on my desk top but there is no way for me to post an attachment here at HS. It's to long to post. If you really want to read it you can contact me by email. IT's really good.