Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

cast getting loose!

Posted by jen on 1/07/04 at 21:29 (141602)

well my cast is already getting loose, i have yet to step on the foot which is so hard to not do! it seems i can move ankle a bit now in the cast. im suppose to be non weight in cast for 6 weeks, is it normal to be able to move foot a bit? my foot feels so good in the cast,im so tempted to walkk on it or get the cast taken off. a girlfriend said she wore a moon boot cast for a whhile for a broken foot im going to ask about getting one as its removable etc.. im using my wheelchair a lot and its nice to keep foot elevated in the leg rest. will doing toe exercises keep muscles ok or is it a lost cause?

Re: cast getting loose!

Julie on 1/08/04 at 01:25 (141608)

Jen

I wouldn't like to promise that doing the toe exercises will 'keep muscles ok' - I have no personal experience of being casted, but I would imagine there will be some rehabilitation needed once you are out of the cast and bearing weight again. But I think that if you do them regularly, whenever you think of it (which shouldn't be difficult as you have plenty of time on your hands right now :) ) they will help considerably. I'm sure you can feel that when you curl your toes and stretch them, all your foot muscles are working.

Regarding your other point, I imagine you should stay in the full cast for as long as your doctor told you to, and definitely not put weight on it. Patience is the key to healing.

R C on 1/11/04 at 19:35 (141837)

Jen,

For broken bones (as opposed to PF) complete immobilization is important. However, in the case of PF,I think it is OK for your cast to be a little loose. The important thing is not to bear weight until the foot is ready. Toe exercises should not be undertaken, as there are structures that may affect the injured tissue. Exercises ought to be a part of your rehab once the cast is removed. A good physical therapist should guide you through the rehabilitation, as during this period you are most vulnerable to re-injury.

R C

Julie on 1/12/04 at 00:39 (141849)

Jen

Are you casted for a broken bone(s)? I didn't know that (forgive me if I've forgotten an earlier post in which you explained it). If so, RC is right: keep your foot still until it heals. Toe exercises will move all the structures of the foot.

jen on 1/12/04 at 10:42 (141871)

hi julie and rc

well i am casted from toes to knee for the PF as well as stress fractures that were found in forfoot. i think i have had the fractures quite sometime but just thoght my foot hurt from walking a lot at work. my dr went right to the cast as its killing b oth birds with one treatment! so i dont think i have broken bones unless stress fractures are considered that. she said i will be non weight for 6 weeks but will likely wear the cast more like 8+ weeksmy foot feels so nice in cast. im so tempted to step on it . im using a wheelchair and crutches and keep it elevated most of the time. i noticed that my toenails grew a lot quicker?? i think thats a sign its gettting good nutrients etc for healing. my roomate had given me a silver pedicure when i got casted and it looks like the casted foot needs another one but the other foot is still ok, weird??
thanks for everyones advice etc.. oh the loose cast is normal and i will be getting a new cast hopefully a pink one in anohter week or so

Julie on 1/12/04 at 14:24 (141887)

Jen

If you have stress fractures it may be best to keep your foot immobilised for the time being, and avoid all exercise unless your doctor agrees that it's all right for you to move your toes.. You will be able to deal with any muscle atrophy later, when the fractures have healed and the cast is removed, but I would suggest you keep still for now and let the fractures heal..