Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fasciitis recovery

Posted by Larry T. on 1/08/04 at 21:42 (141658)

I had the partial release surgery about 5 years ago. During the time I was suffering, I went from 160 lbs. to 210 lbs. I am 37 years old. I am starting to play basketball now, and was wondering if you can recommend a good shoe for me? THANKS!

Re: Plantar Fasciitis recovery

RACHAEL T. on 1/09/04 at 11:20 (141684)

Try Brooks Beast Shoes - They were recommended to me for men & Brooks Ariels for women for pronation control. Steve G (on the boards) has had success w/ the Beasts & I have had excellent wearing time w/ Ariels & in past, I couldn't find a sneaker of any comfort after buying probably more than 14 pairs of good name brands. These Brooks were recommended by a runner's store at PSU.

Ron B on 1/09/04 at 13:28 (141702)

Larry
I too wear 'The Beast' I wear my orthotics in them. they are comfortable,with good support ! But they don't take PF pain away.
Ron B

Dorothy on 1/09/04 at 14:25 (141705)

They do for some people. It's not a cure; no pair of shoes is going to cure PF, but they can make a huge difference. On Rachel's and Steve's endorsement of the Brooks Ariel and Brooks Beast, I added the Brooks shoes to my own shoe collection that grew in an effort to deal with foot problems. I wore the Ariel (women's counterpart to men's Beast) and I also tried the Brooks Addiction, based on what I read about that model. There is a men's version of the Addiction, too. I like both the Ariel and the Addiction, but think I might prefer the Addiction. (you can read about them on http://www . zappos.com) My point was reinforced just yesterday again, when my feet were really riled up - I was wearing Birkenstocks - and I put on some Thorlo socks (also great!) and the Brooks Addictions - and it was pure and absolute relief, as in Ahhhhhhhhh.
Just another viewpoint from the trenches.

Ron B on 1/09/04 at 18:50 (141732)

Dorothy
take a look at these shoes. I would like to try a pair. But if I buy anymore shoes, I'll have to get a 2nd job to pay for them :O(
http://www.zcoil.com
Ron

Dorothy on 1/09/04 at 19:13 (141733)

Likewise about the shoe collection. About these zcoil shoes, I have to tell ya - and no disrespect to anyone - but they look weird and scarey to me, like putting miniature pogo sticks on your feet. I don't know, I guess I'm not very adventurous when it comes to footwear. I stay away from 4-inch stilleto heels made of lucite and I stay away from steel springs on my heels. It's just me. But, hey, they had a whole list of streaming names who were singing the praises of springs on their heels. What do I know!

Re: Z coil shoes

Julie on 1/10/04 at 01:06 (141759)

Ron, these were discussed some time back and the consensus of the doctors and one or two folks who tried them was they they are unstable. A search will dig up quite a few posts about them.

Hope this saves you from the need to moonlight!

Richard, C.Ped on 1/10/04 at 09:41 (141764)

In my opinion, its just bells and whistles. No shoe will relieve foot pain. If you need proper support, you need an orthosis. If anything with this shoe, it may raise the heel slightly, thus releasing tension on the heel cord. That is only good for someone with a tight or short heel cord.

Ron B on 1/10/04 at 19:48 (141803)

I have heard that a guy that works on the loading dock at my work has a pair and that he swears by them. I have never seen him or his shoes! don't know if he has PF or some other kind of pain.
So I guess I'll just moonlight for another pair of 'beasts'
Ron B