Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Careful with yoga if you've had pf surgery

Posted by Buck T. on 1/09/04 at 10:28 (141683)

Yoga stretches posted are great. Much better than weight bearing ones.
But be careful. I had pf surgery some time ago and just reinjured foot by pulling too much on toes and massaging arch too hard.

Re: Careful with yoga if you've had pf surgery

Kathy G on 1/09/04 at 11:51 (141689)

I think any exercise regime must be tailored to one's own needs and it's a good idea that you reminded us, Buck. I cannot do the one that pulls back on my toes at all because I have a Morton's Neuroma that acts up if I do.

Thanks for bringing that up. One has to modify the stretches to suit their individual strengths and weaknesses.

Paul S on 1/09/04 at 13:31 (141703)

Aren't Yoga excercises ususally more of a gentle stretching. That would seem different then pulling on your toes. Just curious.

Paul S

Julie on 1/09/04 at 14:32 (141707)

Paul, it depends on what school/style of yoga you're talking about. A great deal of it is demanding, not gentle at all, and the heading of this thread is absolutely right. As a yoga teacher and trainer with many years of experience I too would counsel care: there are styles of yoga, and yoga postures, that would be quite unsuitable for people with PF.

The yoga foot exercises I've posted here are simple, straightforward, gentle and safe, and should be suitable and helpful for most people with PF. But even they may not be right for some, and the bottom line is always to listen to the messages your body gives you. It will tell you whether any particular exercise is right or wrong for you.