Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Diabetes - Something Else Part II

Posted by Dorothy on 1/09/04 at 19:30 (141739)

This is important information so I will post just this one more item from another site, then you can all search for further info. as you wish:

January 9, 2004
A Spoonful of Cinnamon Helps Treat Diabetes
By Alison McCook

Last Updated: 2003-12-11 15:35:10 -0400 (Reuters Health)

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - People with diabetes can help keep their bodies healthy by simply adding a dash of spice to their diet, new research reports.

In a study, diabetics who incorporated one gram -- equivalent to less than one-quarter teaspoon -- of cinnamon per day for 40 days into their normal diets experienced a decrease in levels of blood sugar, cholesterol and blood fats.

And for people with diabetes, the less of those substances in the body, the better.

Type 2 diabetes arises when the body loses sensitivity to insulin, a hormone that shuttles the sugars from food into body cells to be used for energy. As a result, the amount of sugar, or glucose, in the blood remains high, leading to fatigue and blurred vision. Over the long term, excess blood glucose can increase the risk of heart disease, kidney failure and blindness.

The current findings suggest that a small amount of cinnamon can help protect diabetics from these and other potential complications of their condition, study author Dr. Richard A. Anderson of the Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center in Maryland told Reuters Health.

Diabetics could add a dash of cinnamon to their morning servings of coffee, orange juice or cereal, Anderson noted. 'You can also make a cinnamon tea by simply boiling water with stick cinnamon,' he suggested.

Anderson noted that cinnamon may also help stave off the onset of Type 2 diabetes in people at risk of the condition.

He added that cinnamon contains some substances that can be toxic in high amounts, so people should be sure not to get too much of a good thing. 'Certainly, a gram per day is not a high amount,' he reassured.

During the study, Anderson and his colleagues asked 60 people with Type 2 diabetes to consume 1, 3, or 6 grams of cinnamon each day for 40 days, or the equivalent amount of wheat flour, as a placebo. Both the cinnamon and wheat flour were administered in capsule form.

Reporting in the journal Diabetes Care, Anderson and his team found that all cinnamon-takers experienced a drop in blood levels of glucose, fats and cholesterol by up to 30 percent. No change was seen in the people taking placebo capsules.

Anderson explained that cinnamon contains compounds that help make insulin more efficient, improving the hormone's ability to bring glucose to the cells that need it.

As an added bonus, cinnamon contains virtually no calories, Anderson said, allowing diabetics to add zest to their meals without adding to their waistlines.

Cinnamon contains less than 3 calories per gram, 'negligible in the total dietary intake,' Anderson said.

Previous research has shown that cinnamon appears to help fat cells recognize and respond to insulin. In test tube and in animal studies, the spice increased glucose metabolism by about 20 times.

SOURCE: Diabetes Care, December 2003.

Re: Diabetes - Something Else Part II

marie on 1/09/04 at 19:32 (141741)

Very interesting. Thanks:)for sharing all of this. You've been busy today!

much appreciated, marie

Dorothy on 1/09/04 at 19:44 (141746)

I HAVE been busy today, but I only just came here today a little while ago (I think - I do tend to lose track of time on this site and on the internet, like many people do) These studies are ones that I read about earlier so I just did a quick search for sites to quickly share here now because I think it is important info. I'm busy every day, like most people, I reckon; I know you are, for example. That's why it is so wonderful that people post here, share here, support here, cheer up here, kibbitz here, and so on - even when busy and trying to fulfill other obligations to others and to self. I usually think it is tedious and self-centered to talk about how busy one is.
Anyway, I know what you meant, but I just wanted to clarify about when I first learned about these studies (coffee, cinnamon) but just posted today. Ok, I'm blathering. I need some PIZZA (GOOD FOR YOU!), CHOCOLATE (GOOD FOR YOU) AND CINNAMON TOAST AND COFFEE (ALSO GOOD FOR YOU!)

marie on 1/10/04 at 11:09 (141779)

I read a book last year titled 'Miracle of Magnesium' and thought it to be very informative. Certainly worth looking at if you suspect magnesium deficiancy.

Thanks for sharing this info. I am sure it will be helpful to many.

I'll be off line for a little while....having another tia episode. I'm past it now I just need some rest.

marie

Dorothy on 1/10/04 at 14:23 (141787)

Marie ~ Does your 'tia' mean transient ischemic accident' - is that what it they call it?? If so, I am very concerned about you and hope you will let us know what is happening and how you are as soon as you are able. I seem to recall your mentioning this kind of thing happening in your past - is this right? I am sorry you are having some problems, if you are (not sure - your note was a little vague..) and hope we hear from you soon. Take care, rest and we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers and will miss you while you are away.

wendyn on 1/10/04 at 19:47 (141802)

Marie - not sure what's going on - I don't know what a tia episode is. Hope everything is okay.

marie on 1/11/04 at 09:43 (141815)

Thanks for the concern. It's over. I am ok. I was just tired and weak yesterday. I probably added a new leision to my brain. Haven't had one in a very long time. A tia is a mini-stroke. Most people have one some time in their life...mine just started sooner than most. Asperin helped.

It's a weird experience.....it's like looking at the world from the outside. Like looking through a window. It only lasts about a half an hour. I didn't sleep well the night before. That seems to make me suceptable.