Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

For Carole C

Posted by wendyn on 1/10/04 at 09:58 (141769)

Carole, how did week 1 of the ww go?

Re: For Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/10/04 at 12:31 (141781)

Wendy, according to my Weight Watchers weigh-in this morning, I lost 7.8 pounds in this first week!!! I am sure a lot of it was water weight, but anyway I'm totally thrilled. That is 7.8 pounds I won't have to struggle with.

YAY lol

How did it go for you? You are about half my size, I think, so losing will most likely have to be at a slower rate for you. I'm hoping you lost some too, though.

Carole C

wendyn on 1/10/04 at 18:21 (141795)

Wow Carole - that is fantastic!!!!!

I have had a pretty good week. This is a little different because it's a cleanse, not really a weight loss diet. Weight loss is often an outcome, but not the goal. I did lose 6 pounds last time that I kept off. They were a good 6 pounds to lose, and they brought me at a weight that I should probably stay at. If I lost 3 more pounds, that would be okay - but I should not lose much more than that.

I'm on day 8 (of the 12 days) so it's getting harder to be excited about all the healthy food. The kids had pizza tonight and I thought I might die. These 12 days are quite an exercise in self-discipine, but a good one.

Is it the points program you're using? I've heard that one works very well. I know many people who have been quite succesful with it.

Why do you think the 7 pounds would be mostly water? I would think that you would only lose water if you were using some type of diueretic...but I really have no idea how water loss works.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/10/04 at 19:37 (141798)

Glad to hear you had a good week, Wendy! I know what you mean about pizza. I have found that Healthy Choice French Bread Pepperoni Pizza is reminiscent enough of 'real pizza' that it satisfies my greedy inner pizza monster. I've heard that just recently some large national pizza chains in the U.S. are coming out with low calorie pizzas too, but I haven't tried any yet. It's best for me to stick with Healthy Choice, since there's only one piece in the box and no leftovers.

Yes, it's the points program; the latest Weight Watchers program is called 'Flex Points'. One has a target number of points to strive for, and then the Flex Points represent optional extra food that one can have if needed.

Usually the first week on a weight loss program results in considerable water weight loss for females, though not usually for males for hormonal reasons. The way you can tell if weight loss is water weight, is if you are in and out of the bathroom all the time. A dozen or so times during the middle of the night, for me, tells me something is going on; nothing too esoteric about it. Water weighs a little over 8 pounds per gallon.

I posted a poll on a Weight Watchers forum asking other Weight Watchers how much they lost during the first week, and 4-6 pounds was the most frequent category. So far, nobody has said less than 2 pounds.

After the water weight is gone, people can expect to lose 1-2 pounds on Weight Watchers.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/10/04 at 19:39 (141799)

I mean, 1-2 pounds per week, not just 1-2 pounds total! LOL Now THAT was a funny typo. :D

Carole C

wendyn on 1/10/04 at 19:45 (141801)

That is funny! If that were the case for real - Weight Watchers would not have been in business for long.

Re: Yes, you're right! (giggle) (nm)

Carole C in NOLA on 1/10/04 at 20:04 (141805)

Re: Weight Watchers

Kathy in Ky on 1/11/04 at 19:23 (141834)

We had great success last year at our school with Weight Watchers. There were 17 of us who did the WW at Work program. The leader came in at the end of the day on Mondays. We lost so much weight as a group that we told our Supt. our building had cut staff by 2 bodies! The group is starting again in Feb but I'll be too busy this year with afterschool tutoring, carpooling & moving! But I am going to record my food in a journal with a co-worker, that seems to help me the best. Just being accountable for all those nibbles & tastes really helps! I'm still 18 pounds lighter than when I started last year, but I would like to lose the 10% of my current weight. My husband is doing the Atkins Diet & has lost over 30 lbs. I just can't get myself to eat all that unhealthy fat. Good luck with Weight Watchers!

Re: Weight Watchers

Carole C in NOLA on 1/11/04 at 20:50 (141843)

Thanks, Kathy! I did WW @ Work for a couple of years and it was so convenient. I liked it a lot. Right now, I'm going to a conventional WW location instead, for variety. I have a really good leader, and great hopes. :)

Sounds like you are doing well. Good luck in getting your 10%!

A friend does SugarBusters and she has lost a lot. Sugarbusters originated in New Orleans, and from what I understand it's just like it sounds; cutting out sugar and cutting back on carbs.

I thought of looking into Sugarbusters and maybe trying it, but I'm so used to WW that I decided to continue with it (plus I know that it works for me and I stay healthy on it).

Carole C