Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

full length varus wedges RCPED

Posted by James on 1/12/04 at 11:01 (141873)

Do you know where full length varus wedges (from heel to toe)can be found? I would prefer semi-rigid materials such as EVA or such. Also, any idea why such measure are not used more in podiatry when the biomechanical situation calls for forefoot varus posts?\

Thanks

Re: full length varus wedges RCPED

Richard, C.Ped on 1/12/04 at 11:41 (141876)

Many people do not know about forefoot varus and how to accomodate it. We were never taught about it in our schooling. That is one of the things that you must check for while doing a foot exam. If the casting is not done correctly, you would never see forefoot varus (example: taking a standing impression).

That is the chief complaint I hear when someone states that they tried orthtoics before but the arch seems to high.

You might be able to find the material from a C.Ped or a shoe repair place. If you know what you are doing, you can add the material yourself. You could always see if a C.Ped could do it for you. I would get a prescription first though.

Pauline on 1/12/04 at 12:08 (141878)

Richard,
I believe the other C.Ped that used to post, Brian, made his orthotics from taking a standing impression only it was with a machine of sorts. What would the difference be and how did he accommodate for forefoot varus?

I think he mentioned the name of it, but I can't remember what the machine was called.

Richard, C.Ped on 1/12/04 at 12:41 (141882)

I can't recall what Brian used. I talk to him every now and then..so I will ask him.